I got Altitude 25k for free....YAY?

I haven't really been tracking my Altitude progress as I don't fly enough on AC to reach a good status. Right before year-end AC sent me an email saying that I could pay up for Altitude 25k....DELETE (I didn't see what they wanted to charge). And today, I get a different email congratulating me on achieving the status. I only met the AQD requirement...and came one segment short, which I guess they decided was close enough.

Look, I'm not popping the champagne. But a couple free checked bags, maybe a couple upgrades when I fly to YVR....it's better than a kick in the teeth.
Quote: I haven't really been tracking my Altitude progress as I don't fly enough on AC to reach a good status. Right before year-end AC sent me an email saying that I could pay up for Altitude 25k....DELETE (I didn't see what they wanted to charge). And today, I get a different email congratulating me on achieving the status. I only met the AQD requirement...and came one segment short, which I guess they decided was close enough.

Look, I'm not popping the champagne. But a couple free checked bags, maybe a couple upgrades when I fly to YVR....it's better than a kick in the teeth.
You might notice a preferred seat discount and can use the priority checkin.
I wouldn't get too excited about upgrades however, not with branded fares meaning many Flex fares now require a copay, likely $350 YYZ YVR.

Beats nothing of course.
You also get Zone 3 boarding when in economy...beats Zone 4 or 5!
jc94 likes this.
Quote: You also get Zone 3 boarding when in economy...beats Zone 4 or 5!
Is zoned boarding still a thing?
absolutely.
Quote: Is zoned boarding still a thing?
Strength of enforcement depends on the airport, weather and side of bed agent woke up on.
Quote: You also get Zone 3 boarding when in economy...beats Zone 4 or 5!
i love being in zone 999 now! checked bag, fast food and aisle seat. i could care less!
even if its not a checked bag, i let the FAs figure out where to accommodate it!
Quote: many Flex fares now require a copay, likely $350 YYZ YVR.
Is it seriously that bad?
Quote: Is it seriously that bad?
yes
Quote: Is it seriously that bad?
Thatís only if you purchase low/heavily discounted Flex fares - Iím usually able to upgrade that segment with no co-pay for 4 eups on an M/U/H fare.
Good to know on the upgrade stuff...my domestic travel is mostly work-related. And we don't book the heavily discounted fares.

On the zoned boarding stuff..I find AC does a decent/good job. Especially compared to Westjet. Westjet, I keep thinking of flying them more often. But the boarding process is a pain. Maybe I'm just jaded by my last trip. A mess with boarding and zero enforcement of carry on size. People are taking on two carry ons, neither one of which woudl fit in the sizer.
Quote: Thatís only if you purchase low/heavily discounted Flex fares - Iím usually able to upgrade that segment with no co-pay for 4 eups on an M/U/H fare.
I'm about to burn the last credit on my east-west connector, so this is good to know. Guess it's Tango 4 Lyfe and paid Preferred from here on, and I'll save the eUps for long-haul.

...aaaand we check one more reason off the list for why I stay with AC.
Quote: Good to know on the upgrade stuff...my domestic travel is mostly work-related. And we don't book the heavily discounted fares.

On the zoned boarding stuff..I find AC does a decent/good job. Especially compared to Westjet. Westjet, I keep thinking of flying them more often. But the boarding process is a pain. Maybe I'm just jaded by my last trip. A mess with boarding and zero enforcement of carry on size. People are taking on two carry ons, neither one of which woudl fit in the sizer.

AC has many issues, but when it comes to zoned boarding and their PY vs WS Plus AC is indeed less bad.

Just bear in mind that you can book low Flex or high Flex. Unless you book very close to flight, default is going to be low Flex which may mean copay and may mean 10 eUps for that route. YYZ YVR is actually $300 more for high Flex than low. PY is only $130 more than low Flex.

This is based on a OW trip in May.