Best seat DHC 8 400

Reply

Old Mar 17, 08, 2:06 am
#1
Original Poster

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Best seat DHC 8 400

Flying Horizon's DHC 8 400 this week. Never took a DHC before. Seat is in row 15. What is the best seat? Quietest, far enough from lavatory, enough leg room or better for some other reason?
How does the DHC 8 400 compare in noise and comfort to the B737? Thanks.
taranto is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 3:18 am
#2
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ANC, SAP
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Posts: 1,651
seatguru.com should help:

http://seatguru.com/airlines/Ala...lines_Q400.php

According to them, you're riding in the widest coach seats in AS/QX fleet - but it never feels that way when I've taken them!

It's a prop plane, so a little louder than the 737's, but not uncomfortably so. You'll get QX unique, personal service including complimentary microbrews and local wines (local to at least one of their destinations) provided you're 21+

Have a good trip!
ANC RED-EYE is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 8:13 am
#3

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Posts: 4,909
If you don't need under-seat storage in front of you, 1AB or 2DE are the bulkheads and have the most leg room. None of the seats recline, so you don't have to worry about someone slamming their seat back into your face. The rest is pretty much personal preference (aisle/window; front of plane; back of plane.) Depending on the airport, they may unload the plane from both the front and the back doors, so sitting in the back may mean you're one of the first off, not the last.
BLI-Flyer is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 8:57 am
#4

Join Date: Apr 2007
Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer View Post
If you don't need under-seat storage in front of you, 1AB or 2DE are the bulkheads and have the most leg room. None of the seats recline, so you don't have to worry about someone slamming their seat back into your face. The rest is pretty much personal preference (aisle/window; front of plane; back of plane.) Depending on the airport, they may unload the plane from both the front and the back doors, so sitting in the back may mean you're one of the first off, not the last.
I haven't flown a lot of Q400 segments but on each one, the front four rows were cleared out and the PAX re-seated for weight and balance. I've heard this happens regularly, which would argue strongly against booking seats in the first few rows.
IStream is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 1:26 pm
#5

Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: Former AS MVPG-hopefully again when the economy rebounds, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by taranto View Post
Flying Horizon's DC 8 400 this week. Never took a DC before. Seat is in row 15. What is the best seat? Quietest, far enough from lavatory, enough leg room or better for some other reason?
How does the DHC 8 400 compare in noise and comfort to the B737? Thanks.

Q400's are turbo props rather than jets, so they are a lot louder, as was pointed out, the seats are relatively wide, but do not recline. Occasionally there are weight and balance issues when loads are light that require reseating from the first couple rows. I fly short QX routes one or two times a week and am effected by this maybe once every couple months (but I normally fly the commuter routes at business traveler times so the planes are normally pretty full).

The lav is up front, but most flights aren't long enough were there is a lot of traffic. The props sit right about row 5, so rows 4-10 tend to have the most noise and some vibration depending on the weather.

1A has a bulkhead and seems to have less legroom. 1B is my choice as you can play footsie with the flight attendant and starch all the way out when they are up doing their rounds. 2D is my second choice. With the exception of row 1AB/2DE All of the rows are about the same to me, often times they deplane out of the front and rear as well, so everyone gets out pretty quick when you get to the destination and most of the time it takes a little longer to get the Ala Carte luggage out.

I don't care for the window seats as much because the plane is a pretty small tube, so the shoulder room is fairly limited if you have wider shoulders.

Last edited by reflyer; Mar 18, 08 at 3:28 pm
reflyer is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 10:07 pm
#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,582
Originally Posted by taranto View Post
Flying Horizon's DHC 8 400 this week. Never took a DHC before. Seat is in row 15. What is the best seat? Quietest, far enough from lavatory, enough leg room or better for some other reason?
How does the DHC 8 400 compare in noise and comfort to the B737? Thanks.
The best seat is the one up front with the co-pilot on your right.
CZBB is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 08, 10:36 pm
#7
Suspended

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SEA
Posts: 12,485
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
According to them, you're riding in the widest coach seats in AS/QX fleet - but it never feels that way when I've taken them!
That has to be false!

I like 2D best. The flights are usually short enough for just a book and iPod, so the carry on can stay in the overhead. Row 8 is loud and has an obstructed view, but seems to time deboarding to the bringing of Ala Carte baggage well.
sxf24 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 08, 12:07 pm
#8

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upper Left Corner of the Map
Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Posts: 2,172
I believe it is 7B that one should avoid. I was on a Q400 BIL-PDX a few years ago, and though I don't mind the prop noise, the vibrating in the seat was NOT like magic fingers. I think by the time I got to PDX my backside was numb and I could still feel the vibrations as I waited for my connection. Otherwise, I like 2D
98103 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 08, 2:55 pm
#9

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain West USA
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by 98103 View Post
I believe it is 7B that one should avoid. I was on a Q400 BIL-PDX a few years ago, and though I don't mind the prop noise, the vibrating in the seat was NOT like magic fingers. I think by the time I got to PDX my backside was numb and I could still feel the vibrations as I waited for my connection. Otherwise, I like 2D
That was most likely an issue with the Active Noise and Vibration System. It has a funky failure mode where one row might have a ton of noise and vibration while the one in front of it might not. This also tends to shift.

So 7B might be the winner on your flight, but the next flight it might be row 9 and 7 will be normal.

If you want the quietest seats, sit towards the back of the plane (12 and higher). It is also highly unlikely you will ever be moved for W&B purposes, the Q400 is a nose heavy airplane

Checko
GreatChecko is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 08, 7:27 pm
#10

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, NZ Gold, QF Gold
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by GreatChecko View Post
That was most likely an issue with the Active Noise and Vibration System. It has a funky failure mode where one row might have a ton of noise and vibration while the one in front of it might not. This also tends to shift.

So 7B might be the winner on your flight, but the next flight it might be row 9 and 7 will be normal.

If you want the quietest seats, sit towards the back of the plane (12 and higher). It is also highly unlikely you will ever be moved for W&B purposes, the Q400 is a nose heavy airplane

Checko

I flew 5 segments on a Q400 last weekend, and weight-balance issues came into play on 3 of them. Granted, these were light loads, but I wouldn't say that getting moved for W&B is highly unlikely.

IMO, back of the plane is the best of a mediocre lot of seats. View at low altitudes is seriously obstructed in any of the middle rows back until around 15if that is of any concern.
LGACIC is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 08, 7:53 pm
#11

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain West USA
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by LGACIC View Post
I flew 5 segments on a Q400 last weekend, and weight-balance issues came into play on 3 of them. Granted, these were light loads, but I wouldn't say that getting moved for W&B is highly unlikely.
I meant sitting in the back of the plane it is highly unlikely you would be moved. The Q400 is a front heavy airplane and needs weight in the back for things to be balanced out.

Checko
GreatChecko is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 08, 7:58 pm
#12

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, NZ Gold, QF Gold
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by GreatChecko View Post
I meant sitting in the back of the plane it is highly unlikely you would be moved. The Q400 is a front heavy airplane and needs weight in the back for things to be balanced out.

Checko
I see. This is definitely true.
LGACIC is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 08, 12:00 am
#13

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Southern OR
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by IStream View Post
I haven't flown a lot of Q400 segments but on each one, the front four rows were cleared out and the PAX re-seated for weight and balance. I've heard this happens regularly, which would argue strongly against booking seats in the first few rows.
Flying out of MFR, we get a lot of Q400s. They occasionally clear a few people from the front for weight and balance, but they usually let tall folks like myself, 6' 8", stay in row 1 or 2.
massiek is offline
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 08, 1:32 am
#14
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2018 Fly book Awards

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 39,056
Originally Posted by massiek View Post
Flying out of MFR, we get a lot of Q400s. They occasionally clear a few people from the front for weight and balance, but they usually let tall folks like myself, 6' 8", stay in row 1 or 2.
Thanks

PUW switches from Q200's to Q400's early April so I was a little concerned about being shifted around for us taller guys due to weight & balance. Sure am going to miss row 4 of the Q200 though.
beckoa is offline
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:23 am.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by flybook.biz. Copyright 2017 flybook.biz. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.