Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Alaska
Reload this Page > Any hotels near ANC with hourly rates? Need a 3-4 hour nap.

Any hotels near ANC with hourly rates? Need a 3-4 hour nap.

Old May 26, 13, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Any hotels near ANC with hourly rates? Need a 3-4 hour nap.

We will be flying Anchorage - DFW, leaving ANC at 8:30 p.m. We will have been up since 6 a.m. in the morning, before the evening departure.

I would love to take a shower and maybe even a short nap before that very long flight back to the mainland. (plus, once arriving at DFW, we will have 3 hour layover, then another 3 hour flight).

Are there hotels (or hotel brands) that have rates for 3-4 hour stays? Properties close to ANC airport include Marriott and Hilton brands. Maybe others, I just don't know.

Thanks.
Old May 26, 13, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Mid Afternoon Check In - Is this Possible?

I don't think you'd have any trouble checking in but the time of your checkout will put the room out of service for the night (housekeeping finished for the day) so I wouldn't expect any cheaper rate. Doesn't hurt to call a specific property to see if they offer such options.
Old May 26, 13, 10:48 am
Fly book Evangelist

Not reputable hotels. At reputable hotels, you pay for a night (or a full day in some cases). There's no discount for being there just a few hours.

You may find some not-so-reputable hotels in seedy areas of town that do book by the hour. You should be able to guess what the purpose most people have of booking hotels by the hour is from how I just described the hotels that let you do it.

In some international airports, you have arrival lounges where you can shower, if you're arriving from an overnight flight. But I doubt ANC is one those (it's more airports on the scale of LHR!).

Meanwhile, your thread is very confusingly named. Just about all hotels everywhere have a check-in starting mid-afternoon for an ordinary one-night stay, so of course a mid-afternoon check-in is possible. But that doesn't seem to actually your question at all, so I don't why you asked that.
Old May 26, 13, 10:51 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the OP asking about hotels at ANC that offer day rates? OP needs early access to the room and a late afternoon/early evening checkout. Day rates are indeed offered by reputable hotels and usually mean a room from 9 am to 5 pm.
Old May 26, 13, 12:39 pm

As already noted, a reduced rate for 3-4 hours is unlikely. However, you might want to look at Priceline for a cheap room. Depending on time of year/day of the week, perhaps $50 or less.

The likely Priceline awards can be found at http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/top...SKA-HOTEL-LIST, and Bidding for Travel can offer suggestions on getting the best rate. Note that the moderators can come off as somewhat brusk (especially if you don't read the instructions before posting), but they are helpful.
Old May 26, 13, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all these suggestions. I love the Priceline/Bidding for travel idea, just to see if I can get a discounted somewhat decent property. Also, I will call the hotels near the airport and see what they offer for a day rate.
Old May 26, 13, 4:19 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
Thanks for all these suggestions. I love the Priceline/Bidding for travel idea, just to see if I can get a discounted somewhat decent property. Also, I will call the hotels near the airport and see what they offer for a day rate.
I haven't personally heard of any hotels doing this, but it's not a request I've heard made for anywhere in ANC, either.

No showers at ANC as it is not generally an international connection point. The only lounge is the smallish Alaska Airlines Board Room, but it's hardly an international lounge.

Someone in the airport administration told me they were floating the idea of an airport transit thing with nap rooms and showers for rent in the airport, as there are a lot of oilfield workers hanging around the airport in between their flights from the North Slope and wherever they live in the Lower 48 on their two weeks off each month, but it wasn't a serious suggestion and certainly hasn't been implemented yet.

If you take a look at this thread and scroll down to post #5, I've done a pretty extensive list of hotels near the airport in ANC. Might try calling some of them.

At least some of the AA clubs in DFW have showers, so in the worst case, you can grab one there. If you're not already a member, day passes there are likely going to be cheaper than a day rate at a hotel in peak season in ANC (and probably cheaper than even a day rate in the off season in ANC).

Last edited by jackal; May 26, 13 at 4:30 pm
Old May 28, 13, 7:37 am
fti
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Both a friend and I have used Hotwire and Priceline for day rooms at one time or another. The further in advance you start looking, you might strike a deal. You can check in probably at noon or 2pm and stay until you need to go to the airport.

If you don't find a price you are willing to pay, there are several options for showers in Anchorage - Spenard Hostel allows non-guests to shower, one of the campgrounds does as well and there are at least two rec centers (one not far from the airport) that are quite cheap for entry and that I have used just for a shower.
Old May 28, 13, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Problem Solved!

Why didn't I think of this solution before? We're staying at the Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood the night before our late evening departure. I just talked with them and they allow late check out depending on availability....sometimes free, sometimes a charge. But, if they are booked, they told me we could use the showers in either the fitness center or the spa at any point during the day of check out.

Thanks to all of you who provided suggestions!
Old May 28, 13, 4:08 pm
fti
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Girdwood and the Turnagain Arm is a great place to spend the bulk of your last day anyway. Lots of things to do/see in that area.
Old Jun 1, 13, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by wintersummer View Post
(plus, once arriving at DFW, we will have 3 hour layover, then another 3 hour flight).
Minute Suites recently opened at DFW in Terminal D; it's $34.00 for the first hour and $8.50 per fifteen minutes thereafter.
Old Jun 1, 13, 8:07 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Minute Suites recently opened at DFW in Terminal D; it's $34.00 for the first hour and $8.50 per fifteen minutes thereafter.
Interesting--I also had no idea there was one at my home airport (PHL). If I had known, I might have considered using it after a long red-eye arrival--but not at that price premium. I'd pay maybe $30 tops for a 1.5-hour nap and a shower--not $68 for two hours. I wonder how many takers they have at those prices.

Search this Thread