Checked Bag deadline when flight is delayed

Old Jan 10, 18, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Silver, National Executive Elite
Checked Bag deadline when flight is delayed

I believe bags must be checked in 45 mins before departure but I am in a situation where the inbound aircraft just left Chicago over an hour late so departure is now pushed back 1 hour. I really donít want to go to the airport and just sit for another hour just because I have to check bags.

Can I still check a bag at T-45 to the new departure time? Or will they deny me?
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:45 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3MM, AZ Alata +, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT, BW Diamond
Best to play it safe and go with original departure time. There are way too many threads on the AA forum about delayed flights that ended departing on time, or close to it. Is the 1hr wait worth the hassle to get the luggage check in?
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:48 pm

Always the chance of them switching out an aircraft so your flight may remain on time, especially at a hub like ORD. Best not to risk it IMO.
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Itís at FLL, there wonít be a moved up time. Itís the same AC going back to ORD.
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
Itís at FLL, there wonít be a moved up time. Itís the same AC going back to ORD.
Haha ok....No need to go early if you promise not to come back in a few hours to complain
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Turned out all good. Checked the bag about T-30 of original departure time. No questions asked.
nutwpinut likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.6MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
Turned out all good. Checked the bag about T-30 of original departure time. No questions asked.
This has been my experience as well. I'm out of SAT and I have never had any problems. I wish they were more proactive on their delays. It seems like they don't show the delay until after the incoming flight has moved away from the gate. The worst was when it went from on time to 3 hours delayed at T-30 minutes. Because they wouldn't delay it earlier, I missed an opportunity to transfer to a different route and be on time instead of being 3 hours late to my destination.
Old Jan 10, 18, 8:10 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is rarely a problem with checked luggage other than at small stations where the counter closes after check-in closes for the last flight. Then you are SOL.

The problem can be at the gate when a flight is overbooked and at risk of oversale. AA, as well as UA & DL, may offload late pax at the gate (T-15 for domestic) and not have to IDB/VDB.

Don't count on no aircraft swap unless it's a tint outstation. Even at FLL, AA could sub in another aircraft and use the ORD bird on that flight ;later.

Search this Thread