AMEX Travel Delay Insurance - Positive Experience

Old Mar 27, 13, 12:27 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Silver Elite
AMEX Travel Delay Insurance - Positive Experience

Just wanted to let everyone know I had a positive experience with Amex Travel Delay.

On my way home from a business trip my flight leaving ATL due to an MX delay. It was just past 9PM and I wasn't going to wait for godot so I called Amex, verified coverage and got myself a bite in the terminal as I called some family to see if I could stay with them. Ran into some industry associates while I was in the lounge so I chatted with them over my meal as I lined up a rental car and hotel.

Went to Hertz ATL and my #1 club wasn't with the reservation so I had to wait in line like a plebe. Did not want to break out the DYKWIA bit but they set me up with a car that didn't even have a full tank of gas. I was too tired to argue and went straight to the hotel after putting $8 in gas in a supposedly full rental (Note: I called Hertz about this and they gave me a $25 discount for the screwup) and got a proper dinner at midnight.

My expenses in order:

Airport meal (unremarkable) - $25
Hertz Prepaid Rental - $78
Night at the Marriott - $150
Spondivits Seafood Basket with bowl of chowder - $39 (THE BOWL OF CHOWDER WAS SO FREAKING AWESOME YOU SHOULD GET IT IF YOU EVER GO THERE BTW)
Airport Breakfast - $9
Total: $301

A week later, I got snowed in at BOS. I was not happy. I had just walked to the bus while it was snowing without a winter coat, in Allen Edmonds that leak and I was even more mad because they cancelled the flight 2.5 hours before boarding JUST AS I PRINTED MY BOARDING PASS. I called Amex to verify coverage, they said I had it and I had WN rebook me the next day.

My expenses in order:

Winter Coat at Macys - $119 (I was really cold, I deemed this was a necessity)
MBTA $10
Lunch at Tasty Burger - $27 (THE BIG KAHUNA BURGER IS AWESOME!)
Dinner at Eastern Standard - $92 (Island Creek Oysters + Ribeye = I felt like I was having a food baby)
Night at the Marriott- $226
Lunch at Jacob Wirth - $16 (GET. THE. SCHNITZEL. Also fried pickles.)
Total: $490

I copied all the receipts, printed out my statement and circled all the pertinent expenses, printed out original and revised schedules, bolded and highlighted the flights that were cancelled and rebooked, printed out the amex travel premium charge, sent it all in with a detailed report with notes on what I was claiming. I figured the winter coat would need some explanation and I put some notes in there that I'm a pussy when it comes to 28 degrees and light flurries. I sent that out via first class mail last Monday.

This evening they sent me an emailed notice that my claims have been approved and I have $791 going back to my card.

Membership has it's advantages!
Old Mar 27, 13, 2:19 am

your ticket must be paid by Amex?
Old Mar 27, 13, 7:21 am
Used to be Colonelwes

Thanks for sharing this useful AMX card tip
Old Mar 27, 13, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for posting your experience! Just to be clear, the only thing you did was book your ticket using your Plat card? Was it through the Amex Plat travel program or bought independently from the airline/third party (eg. AA, expedia, orbitz etc)?

I didn't know Amex offered this insurance.. very cool!
Old Mar 27, 13, 10:32 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Wow, happy ending, thanks for sharing that in detail, gives us an idea as to what to expect for coverage. The coat was probably pushing it but kudos to Amex for covering it and it wasn't like you went out and picked up a Kiton cashmere overcoat or something, so it shows you were trying to be reasonable as well.

I could kill a BIG KAHUNA BURGER right now, been in Asia too long, worthy of you having it in all caps!

Only takes a few of those situations where Amex comes through like that to give you warm fuzzys for a while, I had a Kindle that kacked after the original warranty expired and Amex credited me the original purchase price (which was significantly more than the equivalent replacement model cost) and told me to just dispose properly of the old one, which beats having to send the dead one in.
Old Mar 27, 13, 11:12 am

Programs: 2017: Travel Free Agency
I wasn't aware they offered this. I just enrolled. $9.95 per trip is a fair price.
Old Mar 27, 13, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
is this just an offered benefit of being an Amex Plat holder or an option to purchase each time you fly?

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
I wasn't aware they offered this. I just enrolled. $9.95 per trip is a fair price.
Old Mar 27, 13, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
is this just an offered benefit of being an Amex Plat holder or an option to purchase each time you fly?
I'm not even sure that it's Platinum only. I googled Amex Trip Delay Insurance and came back with this:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/f...lay/product.do

You enroll your username and all of your cards are enrolled. Then, when you book using your amex card, you automatically get charged the $10 per-trip premium is how I understand it.
Old Mar 27, 13, 3:05 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat, Accor Plat
Seems to be a benefit for the Canadian plat at least:

Charge your airline ticket to your Platinum Card and receive up to $1,000 coverage (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for hotel, motel, restaurant expenses and other sundry items.
Old Mar 27, 13, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
I'm not even sure that it's Platinum only. I googled Amex Trip Delay Insurance and came back with this:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/f...lay/product.do

You enroll your username and all of your cards are enrolled. Then, when you book using your amex card, you automatically get charged the $10 per-trip premium is how I understand it.
I wonder what about award travel?
Old Mar 27, 13, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
I wonder what about award travel?
Award travel still has fees and taxes....wonder if that would trigger the coverage.
Old Mar 27, 13, 7:29 pm

Programs: US Gold/AA Plat
Looks pretty appealing to me. Maybe enough to start charging my plane tickets to my Amex card again. I've had one trip already this year that would have qualified, got stranded in DCA on a really bad weather day and had to rent a car and drive home.

It says missed connection, I wonder what happens if you're just plain late to the airport.
Old Mar 27, 13, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Looks pretty appealing to me. Maybe enough to start charging my plane tickets to my Amex card again. I've had one trip already this year that would have qualified, got stranded in DCA on a really bad weather day and had to rent a car and drive home.

It says missed connection, I wonder what happens if you're just plain late to the airport.
Where are you currently charging your airfare? I book most of mine on BRG through Amex Travel for the 4X MR. I don't know of a better bonus than that.

For me, Amex Travel is usually the same as booking through US's site, plus a few extra bucks in Amex fees - worth the extra MR per dollar as long as the fare is over $200 generally (at 2cpp).
Old Mar 27, 13, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT View Post
your ticket must be paid by Amex?
I direct almost all of my spend towards my Amex. I have like 6 cards with them.
Old Mar 27, 13, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Thanks for posting your experience! Just to be clear, the only thing you did was book your ticket using your Plat card? Was it through the Amex Plat travel program or bought independently from the airline/third party (eg. AA, expedia, orbitz etc)?

I didn't know Amex offered this insurance.. very cool!
No. I enrolled in Travel Delay that automatically bills premium everytime I book a ticket.

I never book through Plat travel, all my plans are always booked direct with carrier.