Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page > American Express Optima Platinum Card autoconverted to Everyday

American Express Optima Platinum Card autoconverted to Everyday

Old Nov 29, 15, 4:45 pm

Location: 36.19N 86.78W or 26 26′ 23″ N, 82 4′ 50″ W, depending on wx
Programs: AA-Gld, UA-Slvr, DL-zilch by choice, WN, IHG
American Express Optima Platinum Card autoconverted to Everyday

I have a fossil American Express Optima Platinum Card (not to be confused with the Platinum charge card) that I have had for 12 years. Amex discontinued the entire Optima line a few years ago; those who had this card have been allowed to keep it. It's a card with no annual fee and I can earn Membership Rewards Points although I don't use the card much- a couple times a month or less. I keep expecting Amex to close the account and switch me over to another free card product.

I just received a new chip enabled Optima Platinum Card, so I assume if they are going to the trouble of issuing a new chip card with an expiration date in 2020 that perhaps there are no immediate plans to eliminate existing accounts.

Does anyone know?
Old Nov 29, 15, 6:21 pm

I do not future plans. I know many people with the Platinum Optima card that looks very much like the Platinum card and have seen many arguments with the frustrated Delta Sky Club agents. It is a good Amex card with no annual fee. Long ago you had to have pay extra if you wanted it to be part of the MR program or have another Amex card that participated in MR.
Old Jan 11, 16, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I have an Optima Platinum AMEX as well Never use it and just received a new chip card, and a letter a month or two later asking me to activate it. I have it for some time, never carry it. I use my "normal" AMEX Platinum Card for regular purchases. Just asked about the benefits:

No Club Access (Not even Centurion)
IT HAS a Foreign Transaction Fee
Has the ability to pay over timne (dont know the rates)
It has NO annual fee

I guess it doesnet hurt to have it, but why? Any thoughts would be helpfull of Benefiyts that I dont know that exisit with the card? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jan 11, 16, 9:31 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
its no fee. there's no point in canceling.
Old Jan 11, 16, 9:39 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
It has no benefit. But it uses your credit allocation I suppose. I had it for over a decade and never charged a cent to it. Finally cancelled it a year or 2 ago.
Old Aug 25, 16, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
Originally Posted by 6P&E View Post
I have a fossil American Express Optima Platinum Card (not to be confused with the Platinum charge card) that I have had for 12 years. Amex discontinued the entire Optima line a few years ago; those who had this card have been allowed to keep it. It's a card with no annual fee and I can earn Membership Rewards Points although I don't use the card much- a couple times a month or less. I keep expecting Amex to close the account and switch me over to another free card product.

I just received a new chip enabled Optima Platinum Card, so I assume if they are going to the trouble of issuing a new chip card with an expiration date in 2020 that perhaps there are no immediate plans to eliminate existing accounts.

Does anyone know?
I've had the Optima Platinum card forever. I also have a chip card that won't expire for a while. I use it once in a while to keep it active. 25k limit.

Just today I got a letter saying "congratulations" that my card will convert to an Amex Everyday Card in November. Same account number, no annual fee, plus I'll earn membership points I'll never used.

They haven't issued this Optima card to new customers in years. It looks like they're now forcing current account holders into another product.
Old Aug 27, 16, 3:56 pm

Does that mean persons changed will transition from 'Membership Rewards Express' to Membership Rewards?

Also, I wonder how Amex will list the date the card was opened? Many persons have held this card for over a decade. Will the date it was opened reset?
Old Aug 29, 16, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by burgerwars View Post
I've had the Optima Platinum card forever. I also have a chip card that won't expire for a while. I use it once in a while to keep it active. 25k limit.

Just today I got a letter saying "congratulations" that my card will convert to an Amex Everyday Card in November. Same account number, no annual fee, plus I'll earn membership points I'll never used.

They haven't issued this Optima card to new customers in years. It looks like they're now forcing current account holders into another product.
So far I have received no communication from Amex regarding my Optima Platinum which has a 11/20 expiration date. I can't seem to find anything online that addresses any conversions. But it doesn't surprise me since no new Platinum Optima card accounts have been available for over seven years making it pretty much as defunct product, that in the name of simplicity and economics these accounts will be transitioned.

I'm also wondering if the account number is the same, why would Amex bother to change anything until your current card expires. Seems like a needless step and expense.

Most people don't know the difference between the Platinum Card and the Optima Platinum, which looks very similar, so if you're into credit card flaunting (not me of course) you can give the impression you have a much more prestigious card.

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer View Post
Does that mean persons changed will transition from 'Membership Rewards Express' to Membership Rewards?

Also, I wonder how Amex will list the date the card was opened? Many persons have held this card for over a decade. Will the date it was opened reset?
Doesn't the Platinum Optima already offer Membership Rewards? As long as you keep an open American Express card account, any new card should have your original membership date.
Old Aug 29, 16, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by 6P&E View Post
...As long as you keep an open American Express card account, any new card should have your original membership date.
Any new Amex card will display the original membership year, but new Amexes no longer report to credit bureaus with the original membership year.
Old Aug 29, 16, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss View Post
Any new Amex card will display the original membership year, but new Amexes no longer report to credit bureaus with the original membership year.
Which I suppose does help with credit history. My first Amex account was the Green Card opened in 1980 not long after I got out of college. I haven't had that card for years, although I've a series of other Amex cards. Those now-closed Amex accounts that go back to the 1980's and early 1990's are no longer on my credit report.
Old Sep 1, 16, 4:28 pm

I think Optima has 'membership rewards express', which seems to have some limitations, including on transfers to travel partners.
Old Sep 10, 16, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Just got a letter from Amex telling me that they were automatically "upgrading" me to Amex Everyday. They claim it will have the same account number and expiration, just a different CVV. Assume it won't be considered a new card, but still glad I got the Chase CSR a few days ago.

May call and see what offers I can get for spend on the card. Anyone try that?
Old Nov 22, 16, 9:38 pm

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Amex PRG and SPG
I have also had an Amex Optima card for over 20 years, and really wanted to switch it to something without foreign transaction charges. I just called Amex, and it has nothing special to offer other than the Everyday Card, which is probably the most basic card. The SPG card is attractive but I hate the $95 annual fee. So far, I don't need the travel benefits on the Amex Gold and Platinum Charge Cards. So, really don't know what to do.
Old Nov 23, 16, 2:06 am
mia
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Safetravel3 View Post
...Everyday Card, which is probably the most basic card. ...
Everyday is special, because it is the only free card that permits Membership Rewards points to be transferred to airline and hotel partners. American Express does not offer a free card without foreign transaction fees.
Old Nov 23, 16, 9:36 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Amex PRG and SPG
This really makes me think: I checked a few credit card reviews, which I had never done, and it seems that you have to pay an annual fee to get the rewards. The higher the annual fee, the greater the rewards. Man, shall I get the Amex Platinum for a meager $20-30k annual credit card expenses? Need to study the benefits.

Search this Thread