Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred
Reload this Page > American Express Premium Car Rental Coverage & Avis Rental Question
Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Premium Car Rental Coverage & Avis Rental Question

Search this Thread
Old Jul 12, 17, 8:39 am
Original Poster

American Express Premium Car Rental Coverage & Avis Rental Question

Can someone clarify for me what of the 4 protections/coverages that come up under my Avis profile I need to accept or decline based on what the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection covers.

I have to accept or decline:

LDW-loss damage waiver
PAI-personal accident insurance
PEP-personal effects insurance (will decline)
Additional Liability

We have our personal auto insurance through Chubb but all things being equal, I'd like to be clear on what AmEx covers before I would have to go to Chubb.

I asked my Chubb agent and got a convoluted answer and know I will get the facts here.

Lastly, if there any better credit card to have specifically for car rental purposes.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 17, 9:08 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

With the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection add-on, you are covered 100% for LDW. It is also what is known as Primary Insurance which basically means that it will pay out before any other coverage (i.e. your personal Chubb policy) so if for example, you had an accident with your rental car, you would not need to make a claim against Chubb, which would reduce the chance of your insurance premiums going up.

No standard credit card (Amex Premium Protection add-on excluded) offers PAI, PEP, or ALI/SLI that we know of. PAI and PEP, while nice, are generally thought of as not worth the money. As far as ALI/SLI (liability insurance), you are almost certainly covered through your Chubb auto policy for this (but of course confirm this).

Chubb is considered a top company, so your personal coverage is likely very good. In fact, the Amex Premium coverage is probably redundant with what you already have, but not having to make a claim to Chubb in case of a rental accident is nice, as is not being required to cover your collision deductible amount. Whether those are worth the ~$25 per rental you are paying to Amex you'll have to decide.

It's worth noting that there are other cards out thee that offer primary car rental protection without the per rental fee that Amex charges for the Premium product. They include:

* Chase Sapphire cards (Both the Preferred and Reserve)
* United Explorer Card
* AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard
* Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card
* Discover Escape
* Fairmont Visa Signature Credit Card
* Ink Plus Business Credit Card
* Citi Thank you Premier (primary coverage only on rentals abroad)

You can get more info here.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jul 12, 17 at 11:23 am
Old Jul 12, 17, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Wow thank you so much for such a clear, comprehensive and quick reply! Very much appreciated.

My husband has the Platinum card and I was thinking about getting a card under his account or if it would be better to do one of the other cards so we have variety and choice.

We have been renting cars for a million years and always decline the coverage. My rentals were primarily business-related in years past but not now but I am doing more solo travel to visit an ailing parent and realized my AmEx corp card, standard Discover Card and Visa debit/credit via Credit Union would unlikely provide any coverage let alone primary.

I have been reading of more and more issues with rentals companies and both real and alleged damages and realize as well that accidents do happen so want to be sure we both have someone other than Chubb to go to for primary coverage if need be as I'd prefer not to ever have to report anything if possible.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 12, 17, 10:46 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
It's worth noting that there are other cards out thee that offer primary car rental protection without the per rental fee that Amex charges for the Premium product. They include:
You can get more info here.
Great info, as always, from AutoSlash. Worth noting for others that the AmEx Premium coverage offers some benefits that are far superior to what you'll find in other cards (some #s vary by state):
1. Up to $100k A&D coverage ($10k/passenger)
2. $15k med expenses, secondary coverage
3. $5k for personal property
4. No limit on "typical rental vehicles". Many cards (even ones that have primary coverage) exclude luxury cars, pickups, vehicles with >8 seats, full size SUVs (Suburban/Expedition/etc). This was a huge benefit for me. I usually charge to my Chase United Pres Plus card that has great coverage. But if I got specific upgrades, I'd swap the card to this one to be safe.

The other point about the AmEx card is that it does NOT cover damage to tires unless there's other damage to the vehicle. So, the lesson here is that if you get a flat tire, go side swipe a large object on the same side so you have other damage
Old Jul 12, 17, 11:26 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Great points IAHtraveler. I'd forgotten about those extra benefits from the Amex Premium Protection product. I've amended my answer based on your response.

It's worth noting that Amex recently announced changes to their T&C's (effective 9/1/2017) for their standard card products (no Premium Rental Protection required) to include most luxury vehicles, trucks, larger SUVs, etc. More info on that here in our blog.
Old Jul 12, 17, 3:52 pm

There are exclusions that are not paid for by Amex when you use their Premium Car rental protection. I paid $19.xx for my rental for 3 days.
My car was hit by hail in dallas. Avis came back with 6.5k in expenses including 3 charges of Diminished Value of car, Loss of rental and Miscellaneous (collection) fees.
Amex covers loss of rental and miscellanous fees but asks for detail of these from the car rental company.
Avis claims is not willing to provide details on loss of rental, miscellaneous fees details to Amex to process. They say as per the contract they need not provide this information to the insurance company.
Diminished value was not covered by Amex. I cannot seem to get them to talk to each other to even partially process the fees.
End result i am going to have to pay upto 1000.00 from my pocket, I might have been better of applying this to my own insurance,
I would assume every accident will generate a diminished value of the vehicle which is not covered by Amex Premium car rental protection program so better of taking the coverage directly from Avis.
K
Old Jul 12, 17, 7:59 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kumarn View Post
There are exclusions that are not paid for by Amex when you use their Premium Car rental protection. I paid $19.xx for my rental for 3 days.
My car was hit by hail in dallas. Avis came back with 6.5k in expenses including 3 charges of Diminished Value of car, Loss of rental and Miscellaneous (collection) fees.
Amex covers loss of rental and miscellanous fees but asks for detail of these from the car rental company.
Avis claims is not willing to provide details on loss of rental, miscellaneous fees details to Amex to process. They say as per the contract they need not provide this information to the insurance company.
Diminished value was not covered by Amex. I cannot seem to get them to talk to each other to even partially process the fees.
End result i am going to have to pay upto 1000.00 from my pocket, I might have been better of applying this to my own insurance,
I would assume every accident will generate a diminished value of the vehicle which is not covered by Amex Premium car rental protection program so better of taking the coverage directly from Avis.
K
Is it too late for you to file a claim with your personal auto-insurance carrier for the charges that Amex will not cover?
Old Jul 13, 17, 9:43 am

...I would assume every accident will generate a diminished value of the vehicle which is not covered by Amex Premium car rental protection program so better of taking the coverage directly from Avis...
Diminished value is allowed on a state by state basis; usually there is a threshold before it can be collected. For example an accident where there was only a need for a replacement of a bumper cover, in almost every state, this would not qualify for diminished value. Usually the threshold is somewhere between 33% - 50% of damage to the pre-damaged vehicle value.
Old Jul 13, 17, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr View Post
Diminished value is allowed on a state by state basis; usually there is a threshold before it can be collected. For example an accident where there was only a need for a replacement of a bumper cover, in almost every state, this would not qualify for diminished value. Usually the threshold is somewhere between 33% - 50% of damage to the pre-damaged vehicle value.
Unfortunately i think in Texas you can claim diminished value. The car was hit by hail damage so they are claiming $540.00 as diminished value. You might have a point when you say that you can claim only after 30% to 50% damage. The $540.00 on a 25K car value would be a much more smaller %.
Old Jul 13, 17, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Is it too late for you to file a claim with your personal auto-insurance carrier for the charges that Amex will not cover?
I can try that but if i claim it from my personal insurance with a 1K deductible i will end up paying for all of it. The reason i liked amex premium protection was it would not go against your personal insurance unlike the other cc coverage options where they ask you to claim from your insurance and reimburse your deductible.
Old Jul 13, 17, 11:39 am
Fly book Evangelist

I can try that but if i claim it from my personal insurance with a 1K deductible i will end up paying for all of it. The reason i liked amex premium protection was it would not go against your personal insurance unlike the other cc coverage options where they ask you to claim from your insurance and reimburse your deductible.
Wouldn't your Amex coverage -- either the paid premium coverage or the free secondary coverage, if your particular card offers it -- pick up your personal deductible, as long as the cost of what Amex will cover is at least $1,000? And will your personal auto insurance carrier consider damage caused by a hailstorm to be a "chargeable" accident?
Old Jul 18, 17, 1:00 am

You didn't state your location but I'm guessing US?
If you're going to rent in Europe, you should accept LDW. If you decline that, you'll only ever see painfully high rates when you search quotes. All the good value rates in Europe include LDW, and if you decline it you'll never see them.
Old Jul 18, 17, 1:05 am

Your home location is also relevant because the Amex platinum policy varies by country. For example, the U.K. Amex Policy gives worldwide car rental coverage whereas the US policy apparently excludes some territories.
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wouldn't your Amex coverage -- either the paid premium coverage or the free secondary coverage, if your particular card offers it -- pick up your personal deductible, as long as the cost of what Amex will cover is at least $1,000? And will your personal auto insurance carrier consider damage caused by a hailstorm to be a "chargeable" accident?
The Amex Premium protection did pick up 5K of 6K in expenses for the car. The reason i paid $19.00 in protection to Amex was it does not go against your personal insurance policy.
Your standard insurance coverage from creditcard would have asked you to claim from your insurance and paid you the deductible cost. In hindsight it might have been better for me to let this go against my personal insurance or take the more expensive converage from the rental car company. I will check with my insurance carrier to see if they can pay me the 1k as a chargeable accident.
Old Jul 19, 17, 12:05 pm
Fly book Evangelist

The Amex Premium protection did pick up 5K of 6K in expenses for the car. The reason i paid $19.00 in protection to Amex was it does not go against your personal insurance policy.
Your standard insurance coverage from creditcard would have asked you to claim from your insurance and paid you the deductible cost. In hindsight it might have been better for me to let this go against my personal insurance or take the more expensive converage from the rental car company. I will check with my insurance carrier to see if they can pay me the 1k as a chargeable accident.
If you have a $1,000 deductible, and Amex only failed to cover $1,000, I suspect you will be out of luck here. You must disclose to your personal auto-insurance carrier that you had Amex coverage, and that Amex paid out $5,000 of the $6,000 claim.