Booking Alaska Airlines with Avios

Quote: How do avois work for short-haul flights on as? Looking to get some interior flights to fairbanks and barrow that run 5k and 7.5 AS miles. Anyone done this before?
Doesn't matter if they are intra-alaska flights or not. Just look to the mileage of the segment to determine the cost in avios.
Here is one chart showing avios cost:
http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...ward-Chart.png
Quote: Doesn't matter if they are intra-alaska flights or not. Just look to the mileage of the segment to determine the cost in avios.
Here is one chart showing avios cost:
http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...ward-Chart.png
Got it. Very good avios redemption value. Thanks
Quote: Why waste your time calling? I routinely get incorrect/incomplete answers from phone agents regarding award availability. Doing the research yourself will reveal the whole picture of what flights are and are not available faster and more accurately than calling airlines. As guv1976 explained in post 25, the 3x BA Avios for first seats will be the case for all AS domestic flights as they are marketed and sold by Alaska as First class.

Following the 3 easy steps will let you know exactly how much you need to modify your travel times/dates for there to be availability in economy class.

Steps, as already posted in post 16 of this thread:
1) To know the distance between any two airports: http://gcmap.com/
Answer: ANC-ORD is 2846 miles

2) To know how many BA Avios it costs to travel any specific distance:
http://awardguru.com/blog/?p=425
Answer: 12,500 each way in economy/coach class
Answer: 37,500 each way in First class

3) To check miles availability on Alaska Airlines, go to http://alaskaair.com and check "Award Reservations." 99.9% of the time, BA Avois will have access to the same seats as Alaska shows available on their website for miles only redemptions at the "Super Saver" level. "Choice" miles seats (more miles required) are only available with Alaska miles, not partner airline miles.
Superb post

Thanks to all for the info in this thread. I'm based in BZN and somehow this method has escaped me until now. *Extremely* useful for BZN-SEA because it runs just 4,500 Avios, which when acquired using the current 35% conversion bonus from Amex MR, takes just 3334 MR each way (~7700 RT). Given that most itineraries run $250-$300 and up RT, this is a 3-4 CPP redemption for my MR.... domestically!
Thanks for the reminder about the 35% MR transfer bonus.

The west coast Alaska routes are an insane deal already, with the transfer bonus SEA to SoCal is effectively costing just a bit above 10k miles RT. SEA-SJD, if you can get the nonstop is only 13k RT! That is nearly 1/3 of what's required under the US carrier FF programs (35k to Mexico). Even the transcons wind up a good deal at 16k miles.

Running lots of AMEX MR through BA has taken a bit of the string out of the award chart adjustments last year.
In Canada, we just had a 50% MR==>BA Avios transfer. I had almost 70,000 MRs (mostly sign-up/referral bonuses) and now have over 100,000 Avios! Now looking to book 4 tickets to Hawaii...NICE!
kind of an odd question and probably only relevant to those booking AS flights who are also DL, AS or AA elite (where there is seat selection and baggage fee reciprocity)... but I cannot think of where else to post so will try here...

For some time I have been booking Alaska awards with Avios, waiting for the tickets to issue and then either using the Alaska PNR to pull up or just calling Alaska phone support and asking them to insert my Delta FF. The online tool allowed this and the agents would also do this without question. It would then allow my family of 5 to get preferred seats and 2 free bags per pax.

Today I tried it and cannot find a way to change my FF#, the link that used to be there is no longer there. I also called in, only tried one agent who relayed "Computer says no..." and don't have time for repeated trial and error with calling back. Anyone else ever do this, notice change in behavior, etc?
Quote: kind of an odd question and probably only relevant to those booking AS flights who are also DL, AS or AA elite (where there is seat selection and baggage fee reciprocity)... but I cannot think of where else to post so will try here...

For some time I have been booking Alaska awards with Avios, waiting for the tickets to issue and then either using the Alaska PNR to pull up or just calling Alaska phone support and asking them to insert my Delta FF. The online tool allowed this and the agents would also do this without question. It would then allow my family of 5 to get preferred seats and 2 free bags per pax.

Today I tried it and cannot find a way to change my FF#, the link that used to be there is no longer there. I also called in, only tried one agent who relayed "Computer says no..." and don't have time for repeated trial and error with calling back. Anyone else ever do this, notice change in behavior, etc?
I just booked an alaska award and after getting the PNR from checkmytrip went to the alaska webpage. I was able to add my AA# no problem. Not sure why it isn't there for you.

The link is:

javascript:stepOutSubmit(true, '#manageMPNumber1_1')
Quote: In Canada, we just had a 50% MR==>BA Avios transfer. I had almost 70,000 MRs (mostly sign-up/referral bonuses) and now have over 100,000 Avios! Now looking to book 4 tickets to Hawaii...NICE!
Another one ending 31st July I took advantage of to bank 68K BA EC for an as yet undefined trip.
Just had my first instance where Alaska's "lowest" availability (in this case 12.5k miles per direction) did not match with what the BA Gold line agent was seeing. Was looking at Nov 1 flight SEA-ONT and seeing +3 Y 0 F awards on the AS site. Agent said she saw +1 Y and +1 F ! And she was able to book the F seat. So no low F space on AS, yet 1 seat available to BA?? Strange.

But the mismatch of Y was a pain as I ultimately needed a total of at least 4 seats and so had to cancel and rebook into LAX where there were lots of open Y seats.
Quote: Just had my first instance where Alaska's "lowest" availability (in this case 12.5k miles per direction) did not match with what the BA Gold line agent was seeing. Was looking at Nov 1 flight SEA-ONT and seeing +3 Y 0 F awards on the AS site. Agent said she saw +1 Y and +1 F ! And she was able to book the F seat. So no low F space on AS, yet 1 seat available to BA?? Strange.

But the mismatch of Y was a pain as I ultimately needed a total of at least 4 seats and so had to cancel and rebook into LAX where there were lots of open Y seats.
I'm looking at availability on alaskaair.com for 11Nov13 and I'm not seeing 3supersaver award tickets for SEA-ONT. I am finding 1 coach and 1 first on AS536. There is availability at the 20,000 mile coach level but that is not supersaver and is not bookable with avios. I also just checked aa.com and it only shows AS availability for 3 in coach to alternate airports(BUR, LAX, SNA).
Nov 1, not Nov 11

Quote: I'm looking at availability on alaskaair.com for 11Nov13 and I'm not seeing 3supersaver award tickets for SEA-ONT. I am finding 1 coach and 1 first on AS536. There is availability at the 20,000 mile coach level but that is not supersaver and is not bookable with avios. I also just checked aa.com and it only shows AS availability for 3 in coach to alternate airports(BUR, LAX, SNA).
Quote: Nov 1, not Nov 11
Yep, see it now. There was another report a few days in another thread. I wonder if this is somehow related to the issue where there are too many flights between city pairs and any flights over a certain number (nine I think) aren't displayed or available. Even though there are only 3 flights SEA-ONT, if coterminals are displayed then this flight would be off the list.
Quote: In Canada, we just had a 50% MR==>BA Avios transfer. I had almost 70,000 MRs (mostly sign-up/referral bonuses) and now have over 100,000 Avios! Now looking to book 4 tickets to Hawaii...NICE!
When is the next Amex 50% bonus MR transfer to Avios?

This supersaver that's bandied about.. how often does it come up? I haven't seen it available on the Avios website.

I'm looking for 4 tickets to Hawaii as well.. I don't care about getting supersaver. Looking at dates middle of July to end of August. I shouldn't have any problem getting availability?

AA and AS requires the same amount of Avios points approximately to HI?
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm looking for 4 tickets to Hawaii as well.. I don't care about getting supersaver."

The only AS award seats that can be booked with Avios are Super Saver seats.
Quote: Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm looking for 4 tickets to Hawaii as well.. I don't care about getting supersaver."

The only AS award seats that can be booked with Avios are Super Saver seats.
... and you're traveling at a peak period: summer vacations for kids and families. Took my family to LIH in late July this year with cash fares, and they were some of the highest all year. Plan to book those saver fares at your earliest possible chance.