Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page > how expensive was a return ticket in Concorde

how expensive was a return ticket in Concorde

Old Aug 1, 12, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA NON flyer, LH Frequent Traveller, V/A Gold, HGP Diamond, HHonnors Diamond, GHA Black
how expensive was a return ticket in Concorde

All is in the question i guess. how does that compare to a ticket in F today?

How cheap did you ever get it ? was it ever on sale?

just curious
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, AA, Amex Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
You could get a decent ex-AMS price by starting your journey there.
A colleague of mine did this when they announced the service was going to stop and everyone starting booking flights.

Me? I paid 80,000 miles + AMEX 241 voucher (and it was a voucher in them days) for a one way from LHR T4 to JFK (flew back in F which was far more comfortable but less glamorous)
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
I paid £3000 one way R class with the return in economy. A few weeks before the end.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:13 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
IIRC I paid around 20k, but don't quote me, I can't even tell you how much my recent ticket was/is.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:13 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
IIRC, in 2003 you could get a "cheapie" LHR-JFK-LHR for about £5,000 round-trip. I think this was about the figure because I'd arranged to increase my mortgage by about double that to get a pair of tickets - until a couple of award seats dropped into my lap.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:18 am

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
I had a o/w on 2-4-1 from JFK - LHR for 4GBP each + 100000 BA Miles.

I had a return in R class for 2983 GBP

I had another return in R class for 1800 GBP.....

If you wanted a full fare ticket, it had to handle being moved to F on other operators or even rerouting to CDG to use AF, it was normally about 10000GBP return.

However as others have said it was much cheaper to fly via LHR from GVA or AMS, and if you were cunning, and paid for a stop over, you could make the dates work so just a LHR-JFK-LHR.

I had a o/w on 2-4-1 from LHR to IAD for a couple of hundred + 100000 BA Miles and a return in W from IAD-LHR, and the Concorde flight was BA1223 - the last supersonic passenger flight ever between two capital cities!
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:21 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Blue
This article mentions the cost of the QE2/Concorde package to/from New York.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:22 am

In the late90s - DEL-LHR-JFK with the first leg in Y and the last leg on Concorde would misprice as all Y - around $1800 if I recall correctly.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:27 am

With Amex 2-1 it was around £300 net spend in Tesco when Clubcard first won the Airmiles / BA miles contract / deal from Sainsburys.

I think in the very early days of FT there was an even better deal Via magazine subscriptions SPG points and qantas.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC
I think full fare return was around £6K in 2003.

In 2001 they had a special offer of £2002 return in celebration of the new year.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:31 am

I also remember Air Miles running a large reduction on redemptions promo when Concorde made its comeback.
Old Aug 1, 12, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by TheHak View Post
All is in the question i guess. how does that compare to a ticket in F today?

just curious
In addition, I think if I remember correctly what some BA staff told me that their staff travel ticket was around £100-£500, a bargain
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Blue, Hilton Gold
Based on this blurb from BA that I've kept I guess the normal fare about 10 years ago was c. £6-£7K return:

Concorde for £2002 to celebrate 2002

To celebrate start of 2002, British Airways is offering special New Year return fares to New York on Concorde for £2002 for travel outbound on 30 or 31 December 2001 and inbound on 1,2, 3 and 4 January 2002.

The special offer, which represents a saving of almost 70 per cent on the standard return fare, is for sale from 9.00am on Wednesday 19 December on a first come first served basis.

In addition there are also one way Concorde tickets from New York with an outbound seat in Club World on offer for £1,500. Or alternatively, travel outbound on Concorde and return from New York in Club World for £1,750. British Airways Reservations will be able to book accommodation in New York at a range of hotels.

Martin George, British Airways Director of Marketing said: “This is great opportunity for a unique Christmas gift and to celebrate the New Year in style.”

The Concorde service BA001 departs London Heathrow at 10.30am local time and arrives in New York at 9.25am local time. The return flight, BA002, departs New York at 12.15pm local time and arrives at Heathrow at 9.10pm.

Further information is available through a local priced telephone call to British Airways on 0845 77 333 77.

I did fly it for about £3K shortly after reintroduction to service, when that was a month's salary for me! The biggest waste of money - yes. The splurge I've least regretted - yes
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:16 am

When I took the QE2 from Southampton to New York in 1996, we could have upgraded the JFK-LHR air leg to Concorde for $999 each. We didn't do it. Who knew?
Old Aug 1, 12, 10:19 am
Fly book Evangelist

If SST was still operating today I expect that BA would be selling it using more advanced pricing strategies.

For example, if I was managing the route I would be happy to have SST priced at exactly the I class fare but under exactly the same purchase and penalty conditions and with reasonably strict inventory management.

Search this Thread