Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page > Sapphire Preferred & Reserve Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments

Sapphire Preferred & Reserve Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments

Old Dec 5, 17, 10:21 pm - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: threeoh
Wiki Link
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/, or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. No one has reported having meals or accommodations shared with other traveling companions turned down as long as you're under $500.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Unknown (but you are for Trip Cancellation / Interruption, see below)
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Reports vary from "no" to "only with a meal" to "yes"
Does it cover tips? Reports vary from "no" to "only up to 20%" to "yes"
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Probably not, though there are a few positive reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected], Delta, American. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? Unknown. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could.

Experiences:
  • 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? From the CSR guide: "Covered Trip also includes covered trips awarded from frequent flier or points programs provided that all of the miles or points were accumulated from charges on the Insured Person’s Account."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away.

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

Old May 29, 17, 5:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Hardly. But whether any of Chase's three coverages -- cancellation, interruption, or delay -- applies to your situation is another matter. And without knowing more about your itinerary, it's tough for anyone here to give you good advice.

Note that the trip-delay coverage is excess coverage, so you would have to reach out to BA anyway, if you wanted to make a delay claim with Chase.
the chase agent said there would be no coverage whatsoever, which I interpreted as not even secondary. Yes, BA is offering to cover hotel/meals/airport transfers. Coverage for clothing is not explicitly stated but the BA board here has suggested that BA will reimburse reasonable clothing purchases.

we were booked to fly ord-lhr-CDG with the 2nd flight on BA. It canceled, our checked bags are held hostage by BA, and we have no choice but to continue on our outbound journey. However the largest cost for us was to purchase our own lgw-cdg tickets as BA systems were down and phone lines were not being answered. BA is reportedly refusing to pay for alternate transport which is comical since they can barely fly their own routes 1-2 days afterwards. While nobody expected a global system outage, this is exactly the kind of situation that I expected chase to cover.
Old May 29, 17, 8:44 am
mia
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
... this is exactly the kind of situation that I expected chase to cover.
What is the basis of this expectation? The terms are published here:

https://chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17

What is not covered by Trip Interruption insurance?

...this insurance does not apply to any Accident, Accidental
Bodily Injury or loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly:
1) Common Carrier caused delays, unless they are as a result
of an organized strike that affects public transportation; 2) travel
arrangements canceled or changed by a Common Carrier
, Tour
Operator, or any travel agent unless the cancellation is the result of
severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation;

the largest cost for us was to purchase our own lgw-cdg tickets
Even if the coverage applied it would not cover the cost of new tickets, they only reimburse you for prepaid expenses that you are unable to use.

If a Trip Interruption occurs, the Company will reimburse you for up to the maximum Benefit Amount of ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for:
• the forfeited, non-refundable pre-paid land, air and/or sea transportation arrangements that were missed
Old May 29, 17, 10:03 am

Hi all

Hoping for advice on what's the best type of claim to file.

Four travelers going on vacation. Flights and stay purchased with CSR (not points).

During the day one family member has an accident, requiring an ambulance,stitches.

The family member isn't well enough to travel back home the next day (discharged already) so all four flights are moved one day, incurring changes, difference in fare etc. (also paid by CSR).

Before the flights were changed, the CSR benefit administrator said this isn't covered by trip interruption as that coverage only pays for Earlier return. Is this the case? I didn't see this in the CSR benefit terms. Would the changing of flights be part of the medical emergency coverage? We didn't incur hospital bills as that's covered by insurance but we will file for ambulance reimb.

Wondering if you guys have tips regarding the best type of a claim to initiate

Thank you.
Old May 29, 17, 1:46 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia View Post
What is the basis of this expectation? The terms are published here:

https://chasebenefits.com/sapphirepreferredVW17

Even if the coverage applied it would not cover the cost of new tickets, they only reimburse you for prepaid expenses that you are unable to use.
I would think that Trip Delay -- not Trip Interruption -- coverage would apply. But again, that coverage does not cover the cost of replacement air transportation to one's final destination. However, the provisions of EC 261/2004 might apply to the BA cancellations, and that should cover at least some of the cost of replacement tickets.

If the USA-LHR-CDG travel was the first half of a roundtrip ticket, I would call AA and/or BA and make sure that the return portion of the ticket has not been cancelled. Presumably, BA is going to reschedule passengers on subsequent BA flights; when a passenger so reaccomodated fails to fly on that flight, there is a chance that any remaining flights on the same ticket will be cancelled!
Old May 29, 17, 3:06 pm
mia
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
I would think that Trip Delay -- not Trip Interruption -- coverage would apply. But again, that coverage does not cover the cost of replacement air transportation to one's final destination.
What is Trip Delay Reimbursement?
Trip Delay Reimbursement covers up to a maximum of five hundred
($500.00) dollars for each purchased ticket for reasonable expenses,
on a one-time-basis, incurred if your Covered Trip is delayed by a
Covered Hazard
for more than twelve (12) hours or requires an
overnight stay. To be eligible for this coverage, you need to purchase
either a portion or the entire cost of your Common Carrier fare using
your Account. Coverage is in excess of any expenses paid by any
other party, including applicable insurance.
A Covered Hazard includes equipment failure, inclement weather,
labor strikes, and hijacking or skyjacking
What is covered?
You are covered for reasonable additional expenses, including but not
limited to meals, lodging, toiletries, medication and other personal use
items that you encounter due to a Covered Hazard delay, as long as
the services were not provided free of charge by the Common Carrier
or any other party.
I think there is a good argument to be made that an IT system failure is an equipment failure, although I think that more typically refers to a problem with an individual aircraft.

However, the provisions of EC 261/2004 might apply to the BA cancellations, and that should cover at least some of the cost of replacement tickets.
This seems to be a key to understanding credit card travel insurance. It's designed to indemnify expenses that the airlines will not cover, but not to save us the time or frustration of dealing with the airline.

Last edited by mia; May 29, 17 at 3:14 pm
Old May 29, 17, 4:01 pm

either way, seems like izzik (and a lot of other people) should re-read their (credit card/out-of-pocket insurance) coverage to see what is covered

there are (paid) trip insurance options that cover replacement tickets for missed connections. again each policy has different options and conditions that may/maynot apply for BA's scenario

http://travelinsurancereview.net...ed-connection/

eg, this one would cover $750, secondary to whatever BA pays out
(pdf page 8) https://globalalerttravel.com/in...ficate/PA/1008

MISSED CONNECTION
We will pay the benefit shown in the Schedule of Benefits if You missed Your Covered Trip departure due to cancellation or delay for 3 or more hours of all regularly scheduled airline flights due to Inclement Weather or any delay caused by a Common Carrier. Benefits of up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits are provided to cover additional Transportation expenses needed for You to join the departed Covered Trip, reasonable accommodations and meal expenses up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits and non-refundable Covered Trip payments for the unused portion of Your Covered Trip. Coverage is secondary to any compensation provided by a Common Carrier.
eg: this one says $2500 for missed connection
(pdf page 4)https://travelinsurancecenter.co...NE-05-16-A.pdf

If You miss Your Trip departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination
is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:
a. any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the
Common Carrier)
;
b. documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the
point of departure;
c. quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.
We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the
Confirmation of Benefits, for:
a. Your Additional Transportation Cost to join Your Trip; and
b. Your Prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel
Arrangements.
These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the
Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy

Last edited by paperwastage; May 29, 17 at 4:22 pm
Old May 30, 17, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So I had a long conversation with the Claims Benefits people about what they cover.

I had had a medical emergency which caused me to miss a flight, leading to having to buy another ticket and paying for an additional day of car rental.

This was on top of thousands in medical expenses.

The Chase Sapphire Reserve Card will provide $2500 in coverage, with a $50 deductible, for emergency medical expenses. This is supplemental coverage meaning it pays after whatever insurance you may have doesn't pay. So my health insurance may cover some or most of these emergency medical expenses, even if incurred overseas but I have a high deductible.

The CSR would reimburse up to $2500 minus the $50 deductible for the amount that went into my health insurance deductible. However, you must have booked the "Common Carrier" ticket on CSR. That means airlines, buses, trains, boats, but not car rentals, not hotels.

The Chase Sapphire Preferred doesn't have this benefit. And I checked with Amex and they have medical evacuation coverage but not medical expenses. CSR also has emergency medical evacuation coverage.

So I delved into the trip cancellation or trip interruption benefit. Turns out the coverage is only for prepaid expenses, not additional expenses incurred. In this case, I had a plane ticket which I used on the outbound but didn't use on the return because of this medical event. So they might reimburse half that ticket but would not reimburse for additional hotel, rental car or new plane ticket.

Often in the case of hotel bookings and rental cars, you don't prepay.
Old May 30, 17, 9:50 pm

Anyone done trip cancellation? My grandma went into emergency room, chase said they want some kind of cancellation attempted. I booked 2 different airlines, both just tells me to refer to their policy page.

When it comes to a doctors note, does anyone know what they specifically want to see? the doctors will provide a proof of entrance into the emergency room. is that enough?
Old May 31, 17, 2:25 am

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Former HA Plat (now not), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, GE
Originally Posted by BuBu4 View Post
Anyone done trip cancellation? My grandma went into emergency room, chase said they want some kind of cancellation attempted. I booked 2 different airlines, both just tells me to refer to their policy page.

When it comes to a doctors note, does anyone know what they specifically want to see? the doctors will provide a proof of entrance into the emergency room. is that enough?
Your best bet is to ask Card Benefit Services exactly what documentation they need.
Old May 31, 17, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Your best bet is to ask Card Benefit Services exactly what documentation they need.
they are pretty random... one said they want an email, the other said the policy one is enough. :\ i guess ill have to try and find out.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP
quick question...
Can't remember if this was ever clarified.

Just purchased Refundable Business Class tickets to SYD. ($600 change fees anyway)
Used CSR..
Issue.....one way ticket. Does it matter? Am I still covered?
Old Jun 11, 17, 7:45 pm

Experience w/Chase Sapphire Trip Cancellation/Delay

This post may belong to another category, but there are a lot of variables with my question. If anyone has experience with this Chase benefit, I'd love some information. Tried getting information from insurer but they aren't giving definite answers.

-I've booked a fairly extensive trip with my family (wife/son).
-I have an upcoming MRI but my doctor suspects I won't be able to travel.
-Going to Europe with 4 one way flights within Europe.
-Various methods of booking (points, and some non-refundable fare) but all (including taxes/fees) but was paid for using my CS card.

So my main question is this.. If I cancel the paid tickets (1 on SAS, 2 on Air Berlin) the airlines will give me credit in the amount of the ticket for up to 1 year from date of purchase. On the SAS flight for example - the (3) tickets were $309.90 total. But if I want to use those and re-book, there is a change fee for $600/per ticket (total of $1,800)

Chase rep said the $309.90 would not be reimbursed if the airline provides that as a 'credit' toward a future flight.
They would not reimburse the $1800.00 change fee, since the change fee is under 'trip delay' not 'trip cancellation'

I feel like I'm stuck in a catch-22. I'd prefer to not have the credit from the airlines - and just have lose the $309.90 so I can be reimbursed. But Chase also said that if I don't show - then the benefit is null and void.

Does anyone have any experience with this / advice of what to do?

Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 17, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by pcoll View Post
Issue.....one way ticket. Does it matter? Am I still covered?
It's pretty clearly laid out in the benefits guide, but it depends on which coverage you're talking about. In all cases, it doesn't matter whether you buy a roundtrip or one-way ticket, what matters is the logical shape of the whole trip.

These are from the CSR guide (http://chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve):

Trip Cancellation: "to a destination of greater than one (1) mile from your primary residence and is for a time period that doesn’t exceed sixty (60) days in duration"

Trip Interruption: same

Trip Delay: A Covered Trip is a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.
Old Jun 12, 17, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Pookynubbers View Post
This post may belong to another category, but there are a lot of variables with my question. If anyone has experience with this Chase benefit, I'd love some information. Tried getting information from insurer but they aren't giving definite answers.

-I've booked a fairly extensive trip with my family (wife/son).
-I have an upcoming MRI but my doctor suspects I won't be able to travel.
-Going to Europe with 4 one way flights within Europe.
-Various methods of booking (points, and some non-refundable fare) but all (including taxes/fees) but was paid for using my CS card.

So my main question is this.. If I cancel the paid tickets (1 on SAS, 2 on Air Berlin) the airlines will give me credit in the amount of the ticket for up to 1 year from date of purchase. On the SAS flight for example - the (3) tickets were $309.90 total. But if I want to use those and re-book, there is a change fee for $600/per ticket (total of $1,800)

Chase rep said the $309.90 would not be reimbursed if the airline provides that as a 'credit' toward a future flight.
They would not reimburse the $1800.00 change fee, since the change fee is under 'trip delay' not 'trip cancellation'

I feel like I'm stuck in a catch-22. I'd prefer to not have the credit from the airlines - and just have lose the $309.90 so I can be reimbursed. But Chase also said that if I don't show - then the benefit is null and void.

Does anyone have any experience with this / advice of what to do?

Thank you.
Now that we have your post in the correct thread hopefully someone with experience in this matter can answer your questions.

Also, read the wiki post above for more info.
Old Jun 12, 17, 4:32 pm

Here's the timeline of events for my successful claim--

4/25 I cancelled my trip which was scheduled to start 4/27, due to gf's urgent medical condition. I called Chase 's customer service to start the claim. The rep said I should cancel everything I could, and emailed me the claim form. Claims can also be started at https://eclaimsline.com/ I reviewed the cancellation policy at https://chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

I cancelled online for American Airlines. My three hotels had been booked through Chase 's travel portal using a combination of UR points and cash. I was unable to cancel these online because they were nonrefundable. I called Chase and the first rep I spoke to was a total ....., saying that I can't cancel a nonrefundable hotel, and disconnected me when I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. Called back, next guy was awesome and sent me immediate cancellation confirmation for two of the three hotels. For the third, he called the hotel in Spain while I waited. The hotel would not cancel so he was unable to send me any notice.

5/11 I gathered PDFs of doctor's note, hotel reservation emails showing cost and the fact that they were nonrefundable, train ticket receipt with cancellation policy, and AA ticket email with cost and cancellation policy. I submitted these via email along with the completed claim form. The claim form has a section for the doctor to fill out. You can see it here http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...ng-chase-trip-...

5/19 Card Benefit Services emailed asking for copies of cancelled hotel reservations and verification from AA of travel credit. I emailed the cancelled reservation notices I had received from Chase. AA provided email confimation that the tickets had value for 1 year from purchase, but would have $200 change fee each. I explained that one of my hotels refused to cancel and so I could provide no further documentation for that one.

6/2 got email saying that payment was processed, and that a check would arrive in 7-10 days. Email also said that if I were unable to use AA travel credit, I would be reimbursed.

6/10 received check with a letter stating that this payment was the final satisfaction of the claim and that no further benefits would be paid.

6/12 I called and spoke to a friendly rep who said that unused AA travel credit, as well as the change fees, would be reimburseable as new claims.

Total payout was about $2300, which included actual cash value of UR points. They did not fight me on anything, and actually reimbursed about $100 more than I had requested (due to exchange rate differences, I guess). I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the process was. Based on this experience I'll be downgrading my CSR to CSP when the year's up and booking all future travel on it. CSP has the same coverage.

Search this Thread