Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page > How hard to get approved for Citi Business card?

How hard to get approved for Citi Business card?

Closed Thread

Old Mar 15, 15, 10:12 am
Original Poster

How hard to get approved for Citi Business card?

Thinking of adding a citi business credit card to get the American Airline bonus (I already received the personal credit card in the past 12 months)- I only have a very small start up business - I do some photography. I have very limited sales - it is mostly a hobby, but I have tried to sell some things. I don't keep any separate checking accounts or any bills.
1. How much do their verify it is a legit business? It is, just a VERY SMALL one.
2. If I get approved, do they verify that the card is only used for business expenses?
Old Mar 15, 15, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Easy to get,

Open a business checking account...

No audit, and most photographers Loose money, after 2 years it is considered a hobby,
Old Mar 15, 15, 12:42 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
Not hard at all. On the application, just say you have been in business for 5 years, 3 employees and 150k in revenue. Assuming your credit is good, you wil have a card in no time.

You don't even need a busines checking account or anything.
Old Mar 15, 15, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
Not hard at all. On the application, just say you have been in business for 5 years, 3 employees and 150k in revenue. Assuming your credit is good, you wil have a card in no time.

You don't even need a busines checking account or anything.
1. obvious lie - not sure if you are being serious?
2. consequences of a blatant misrepresetation?
3. I will never make money - I know, but if I get a few $ to blow on new equipment, more power to me
Old Mar 15, 15, 6:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines
Well then you must not want a business card too badly. You are still the personal guarantor so if you default they are coming after you (reporting to the credit bureaus).

I have a couple of business cards and everything works out just fine. If yiu want a decent credit limit, you will need to bend the truth a bit. Well, af least a $5k credit limit isn't going to work for me. To each their own.
Old Mar 15, 15, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
Well then you must not want a business card too badly. You are still the personal guarantor so if you default they are coming after you (reporting to the credit bureaus).

I have a couple of business cards and everything works out just fine. If yiu want a decent credit limit, you will need to bend the truth a bit. Well, af least a $5k credit limit isn't going to work for me. To each their own.
I have no issues being the guarantor - and a 5k credit limit is fine, this is not my primary card - just want to get the bonus and use on the side, I have well over 100k in credit limits elsewhere.

I guess my question is, it is fraud and what are the consequences if you are caught lying?
Old Mar 15, 15, 8:40 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
how hard to get approved for citi business card?

I just applied and received the Citi AA biz card with 0 years in business,$0 income and sole proprietor. They only gave me a $1500 limit, but I only plan on hitting the $3000 spend so no big deal. I did have a Citi TYP business card from ~2007 that they closed a couple weeks before for lack of use. That had a $7000 limit and I'm sure I did $0/0yr/SP back then. You should be fine if your personal credit is good..
Old Mar 15, 15, 10:08 pm

CitiBusiness AAdvantage

I am thinking about applying for the Business AAdvantage, but had a couple of questions. I have a small side business (established in 2006, not much income, nothing in the business name, no checking account). Should I apply with my EIN or SS? Is Citi easier to deal with than Chase for a business card? I was able to apply for an Ink card with my EIN, but I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Recon answering questions about my business.

Ultimately, I would like to apply with my EIN to establish credit under the business name, but if it is going to be a hassle, I will use my SS.

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 15, 12:40 am

The thread

http://flybook.biz/forum/citi-...-benefits.html

also discusses business cards, and you will find your question partially addressed in the wiki at the top of that thread.
Old Mar 16, 15, 5:32 am
mia
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Nick521 View Post
...Should I apply with my EIN or SS?
You will need to provide your Social Security number in addition to an EIN. Small business cards, from all major issuers, are based on the creditworthiness of the individual applicant, and you provide a personal payment guarantee for the entire balance, including transactions made by employees. Establishing a credit history in the name of the business will not allow you to obtain cards without using your personal credit.

By submitting this Application, you request on behalf of yourself and the Business that Citibank, N.A. (Citibank) establish a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® account ("Account") and issue a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® ("Card") accessing such Account, to you and any additional Cardholders you have designated. You understand that all information provided in this Application must be verifiable and accurate. Both you and the Business shall be liable individually and jointly for all charges and balances on the Account. The Account established and Cards issued hereunder shall be used for business purposes and shall be governed by the cardmember agreement ("Card Agreement") provided when the Card is issued, and as it may be amended from time to time.

I am an Authorized Officer of the Business (and the person whose information is provided above) with the authority to bind the Business to the Terms and Conditions. I will provide the evidence of such authorization upon request. I understand that the Business and I are individually and jointly liable for paying charges on the Account and agree to the Terms and Conditions.

Last edited by mia; Mar 16, 15 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 16, 15, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
You will need to provide your Social Security number in addition to an EIN. Small business cards, from all major issuers, are based on the creditworthiness of the individual applicant, and you provide a personal payment guarantee for the entire balance, including transactions made by employees. Establishing a credit history in the name of the business will not allow you to obtain cards without using your personal credit.
Thanks, mia. I should have rephrased my question. Should I even bother with my EIN or just use my SS# throughout the application? How difficult is Citi for a business card? It took me a while on the phone with Chase to get approved. They had a lot of questions regarding my business.
Old Feb 21, 16, 1:17 pm

CitiBusiness Platinum Select - Techie features lacking

I got this card a few weeks ago. I immediately noticed some significant features lacking from the website as compared to my CitiAadvantage Gold Card. The Citi Business Aadvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard isn't eligible for Apple Pay, in the Alerts section of the website you cannot set up a notification for any purchases. Right now whenever I use my Citi Aadvantage Gold, I get a text message immediately. The CitiBusiness Platinum Select came with no chip in it (coming soon they say). Lastly, when you are on the website, there is no Pending Purchase section. Seems pretty ancient when it comes to the features on my Gold Card. This is all Citi so one would think the features would be available across all cards.
Old Feb 22, 16, 9:37 am
Fly book Evangelist

Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, CoachPrincess.

Citi business cards are run out of a somewhat different division than the Citi personal cards.

And their business cards need to support different features, such as cards under one account for multiple employees. (Thus there is the concept of card accounts plus a "master account".)

As a result, the business card website has to be separate. That doesn't mean it has to be unequal, but separate in this case means that a totally different team is maintaining it and likely they don't talk to the personal card site team as much as they should.
Old Feb 22, 16, 10:06 am
mia
Fly book Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
... a totally different team is maintaining it and likely they don't talk to the personal card site team as much as they should.
Citi isn't really a player in the small business credit card segment, they currently offer only a single product. (And I daresay only to block Barclays from relaunching their dormant US/AA business card.) Citi's small business card department probably has no budget for website enhancements.

Last edited by mia; Feb 26, 16 at 9:05 am
Old Feb 26, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Thinking of applying for the Citi AA business card and wondering if it is still relatively easy to get. I agree that the Chase Biz products are difficult b/c of the interrogation phone call. I'd prefer to avoid that with Citi. Small business as freelance writer. Maybe $5k per year. Sole proprietor. Great FICO. Does Citi even do the grill call?

Search this Thread