Citibank bad at replacing stolen card

Old Aug 27, 03, 2:34 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Citibank bad at replacing stolen card

My credit card was stolen on Monday. I noticed it within about two hours of it happening and reported it to Citibank.

Long story short, they won't issue you a new card in person, they'll only mail you a new one. If you ask, they'll send it FedEx two day, otherwise it will go out several days after you report it lost or stolen via regular mail.

The reason I post is because if you're traveling, be forewarned that you're going to be SOL. Fortunately I have other credit cards so I'll be fine, but if I were in some foreign country and needed the card, it'd really be out of luck.

Citibank will only send the card to primary address on file. So, let's say you live in New York and are traveling in Europe. They'll send the card to your NY address, which will take close to a week's worth of business days, even with the expedited service, then you'll have to someone in NY wait for the FedEx, so they can sign for it, then send it to you in Europe.

In other words, you're looking at a 1-2 week turnaround time.

And if you can't have someone wait and sign for the FedEx, then you've got to go with regular mail, and you're looking at close to two weeks just to receive the card, let alone get it forwarded to you. Now we're on a 3 week turnaround.

Not too hot if you're in a bind.

This gets a big time thumbs down.

I always figured I'd be in pretty good shape if things ever went wrong. I've got a Platinum AAdvantage Visa Signature card.

d
Old Aug 27, 03, 4:48 pm

All credit card companies do this, not just Citibank.
Old Aug 27, 03, 8:13 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
not AMEX
Old Aug 27, 03, 11:59 pm

http://usa.visa.com/personal/car..._benefits.html

So this is false advertising then... "emergency card replacement at the location of your choice"
Old Aug 28, 03, 10:18 am
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tekelberry:
All credit card companies do this, not just Citibank.</font>
From what I hear, AmEx will stamp a new card for you at its travel offices. And I know that Bank of America also will arrange to have a card messengered to good customers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoreMiles:
So this is false advertising then... "emergency card replacement at the location of your choice"</font>
I'm not sure what the deal is with this. Maybe I would have to call Visa directly, not Citibank, for emergency card replacement?

I just always assumed that whatever benefits and services Visa had listed, like emergency card replacement, could be handled by Citibank directly. Guess I was wrong about that.

Or perhaps it's the old Henry Ford "choice" that they mean. "Get your replacement card at the location of your choice, as long as that location is your billing address."

d

[This message has been edited by Doppy (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 03, 10:54 am

Either you werent talking to someone who knew their job or you werent really in a bind as you described. I would have escalated that to a supervisor to get a resolution to my problem.
Old Aug 28, 03, 11:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
From what I hear, AmEx will stamp a new card for you at its travel offices.</font>
I had a receipt with my AMEX number on it stolen a few years ago. So I cancelled the card and AMEX directed me to a nearby travel agency where they stamped me a temporary card on the spot (magnetic strip was blank, but the number could be manually entered). A new permanent card arrived in the mail about two weeks later.
Old Aug 28, 03, 1:12 pm

The people at Citibank are becoming foreign to VISA's policies since they only issue MasterCards now.
Old Aug 28, 03, 3:22 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken in Phx:
Either you werent talking to someone who knew their job or you werent really in a bind as you described.</font>
I didn't say I was in a bind.

Just a warning so that in the future people know it isn't as easy to replace a card as they claim.

d
Old Aug 28, 03, 5:07 pm

If you wanted a better response, you should have an up-to-date card. Your Citi VISA is out of production. Citi only offers MasterCards now and you should have received a call asking if you would like to switch with an incentive to do so. Why you wouldn't do so would blow my mind.
Old Aug 28, 03, 6:04 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Well, the Mastercard offers no benefits that my Platinum Visa Signature card doesn't have, I haven't been given any incentive to switch and I already have a Mastercard.

Some, albeit few, merchants only take Visa or Mastercard.

So why should I be so anxious to switch?

Citibank not promoting Visa cards anymore isn't a reason for me to get bad customer service.

d
Old Aug 28, 03, 9:23 pm

Citi will eventually contact you with an incentive to switch over to MasterCard. You're right, it is no excuse. But it may be true, and if you want to avoid this in the future, maybe switching would be the best option.

I don't see the difference between the 2 companies anyways, Visa and MC have always been the primary CC companies in the US, and will still be.
Old Sep 3, 03, 1:30 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Here's an update -

After I was told I could only get mail or FedEx of my replacement card to the billing address, I told the agent to send the new card with regular mail, as I couldn't guarantee that anyone would be around to sign for the FedEx package and I didn't want to be bothered with it.

The agent, however, decided that the best course of action was to FedEx the wrong card to me. Now I've got two copies of the Citibank Mastercard that didn't get stolen, and zero copies of the Visa that I actually want.

Fortunately someone happened to be available to accept the FedEx, because I'd be really annoyed if we went through a whole hassle trying to get the package with the wrong card.

d
Old Sep 10, 03, 11:00 am
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

To be fair, I should mention that I was talking to Citibank yesterday and they did offer to FedEx me a replacement card to a different address.

As of today, which is more than two weeks after I reported the card stolen, I haven't gotten a replacement card or the affidavits that I'm supposed to sign saying that the card was stolen.

Not very impressive.

In the same time, I've managed to find the person who stole my credit card, have him arrested, arraigned, prosecuted and sentenced.

And Citibank is still fumbling trying to get me a replacement of the correct card and an affidavit.

New York Police and New York County District Attorney's Office: 1

Citibank: 0

d
Old Sep 10, 03, 11:13 am
Original Member

[QUOTE]In the same time, I've managed to find the person who stole my credit card, have him arrested, arraigned, prosecuted and sentenced.

And Citibank is still fumbling trying to get me a replacement of the correct card and an affidavit.

New York Police and New York County District Attorney's Office: 1

Citibank: 0 [UNQUOTE]

Wow, in 2 weeks time the person who stole your card was arrested, arraigned, prosecuted, and sentenced!!!! I didn't think the criminal justice system worked that fast anywhere in this country. Amazing!

Search this Thread