Go Back > > >
Old Dec 25, 08, 7:40 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
How do you cancel CITI cards online?

I can't seem to find anyplace on the website allowing me to cancel after logging in. Help---thanks.
derby44 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 8:39 am #2

I wouldn't think such a thing would be possible. You should probably use their online message thing to find out how to cancel an account. Probably involves a phone call or fax to be done.
animalj7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 8:39 am #3
Fly book Evangelist

• You need to log into your Citicards account.
  • Then select the card that you want to cancel (so that you're viewing information such as Current Activity for that card only, not the summary of all your accounts, and not any other card).
  • With the card you want to cancel selected, go to the Help & Contact Us menu at the top of the page and select Email Customer Service.
  • Click on Send A New Message.
  • For Topic, select Account - Other.
  • For subject, something like "please cancel card ending in 0000". (Note: The subject line now has a limit of 36 characters.)
  • Make sure your email address is correct (it should be filled in automatically).
  • In the Message, just say something like "Please cancel my Amex card ending in 0000. Thank you."
  • Click Send Message.
  • You may not get any response, but within a business day or two when you go back to your summary of accounts you will see the red "this card has been closed" message for the card in question. (It could be as soon as a few hours.)
  • If they do reply to you, they will not exactly reply by email. They'll reply in your online message center, and at most send you an email saying that you have a new message in your online message center.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 21, 12 at 2:04 pm Reason: adjuested suggested subject line since limit is now 36 characters
sdsearch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 8:46 am #4

Programs: *wood/DC
Somehow this online cancellation did not work very well for me. Within a few minutes of online cancellation, my account was canceled with an online reply. However at the end of the credit card expiry date, I was hit with the annual fee. I had to call and made sure that this time it was really canceled with a confirmation letter. This happened for two of my Citi AA cards.
maulah is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 6:06 pm #5
Fly book Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maulah View Post
Somehow this online cancellation did not work very well for me. Within a few minutes of online cancellation, my account was canceled with an online reply. However at the end of the credit card expiry date, I was hit with the annual fee. I had to call and made sure that this time it was really canceled with a confirmation letter. This happened for two of my Citi AA cards.
First of all, there are usually several HOURS or even a day or so, before the card would show canceled after the secured mail is sent. It never is "within a few minutes." Unless you refer to the auto-sent email informing you that Citi has received your email... That is not a reply about your card is cancelled, it is automatically generated, to acknowledge your email inquiry has been received by the system.

Secondly, there is no online reply whatsoever, regarding the cancellation. In fact, you would not even be able to access the message center thru the cancelled card if it is cancelled. You will get a message "function is not available" or something like that.

The only clue you would know the card is indeed is the RED message saying This card is either cancelled or changed to another account number.... Please call 1-800.... if you have any question....

Did you cancelled via secured mail cards show up online with the RED message?

If so, there is NO WAY you would be charged the annual fee AFTER the card has already been cancelled - unless you cancel your card too close to the annual fee bill day, then the billing may have already been done but not posted yet before your cancellation.
Happy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 9:31 pm #6

I would just call them, I feel a lot better about talking to someone in person about getting something done, then submitting it online.

Here's the number: 1-800-950-5114
Bromoney is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 08, 10:01 pm #7
Fly book Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bromoney View Post
I would just call them, I feel a lot better about talking to someone in person about getting something done, then submitting it online.

Here's the number: 1-800-950-5114
The problem with calling is convincing them to actually cancel! They try to offer you bonus points for sticking with the card, they try to switch you to another card (such as the no-annual-fee Bronze card), they try everything! If your goal, however, is to cancel to clear the way for re-applying for the card (so as to get you another 25k bonus points ASAP, which is the one thing they never offer you over the phone), you just have to wade through all that and reject every offer they throw at you (and maybe even get asked why you're cancelling), until they give up.

Online, there's no such issues; they just go ahead and cancel it (if you do it per the procedure I noted step-by-step above), and you can (and should) confirm it with the red message that Happy explained all about.

And, by the way, the one time I had a problem in the past with a card I tried cancelling not get cancelled (and not getting notified of a problem my cancellation attempt either), it was on a phone call! So you can have that problem with either a phone call or online. With that in mind, what does the phone call really gain you (unless you don't mind keeping the card another month or two and so want to see what bait they'll dangle in front of you for keeping it another month)?
sdsearch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 7:52 am #8

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Yea, u have to be careful with them on the phone. I canceled a card only to leave for 6 months and find out it wasn't canceled and that I was 180 days over due on my "bill" of the annual fee plus 36% interest. No more AA citi churning for me, in fact citi canceled all my card and now officially hates me even though I was able to "pay them off" and get it off my CR. What a mess. I have grown to hate all cc now except for NFCU.

Last edited by frank_10b; Dec 26, 08 at 7:58 am
frank_10b is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 8:44 am #9

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
On a slightly different note, does anybody know how to get rid of the canceled cards on the screen after you log in?

I have a bunch of cc's associated with my citi online ID, and 3 or so of those are canceled. So I have to scroll through a bunch of cards with the red message "This account has been converted..." It's a bit of a pain.

Is it possible to remove those via an online procedure, or can I call in?

-cmhsieh54
cmhsieh54 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 9:57 am #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post
On a slightly different note, does anybody know how to get rid of the canceled cards on the screen after you log in?

I have a bunch of cc's associated with my citi online ID, and 3 or so of those are canceled. So I have to scroll through a bunch of cards with the red message "This account has been converted..." It's a bit of a pain.

-cmhsieh54
Last time I converted a card, they told me it couldn't be done. I would have to wait the number of billing cycles it states on the account summary for it to be removed automatically.

I think this is also the only way you can get to older statements online if that is important to you for those accounts.
animalj7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 10:55 am #11

@sdsearch lol, well you're right about that. I guess you can get screwed either way
Bromoney is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 08, 12:18 pm #12
Fly book Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54 View Post

-cmhsieh54
Go to Account Preferences - where you have to answer your security questions first before you gain access.

Then click on the card you want to modify - there is an option to remove that card.

That is where you choose which account being your default account (shows up as the first account.) The defult card must also have the ability to generate virtual number - in the past, AMEX card cannot generate virtual number, so it could not be a default card. I do not know if this has changed.

It is much more painful way to accomplish this task when in the past was a lot easier to do. But I guess Citi has its own reasons to make it so.

I am grateful enough now they finally show all important info on the front page, versus the Update 1.0 that you had to click thru 3 screens to get to the vital info, and Update 2.0 only had the default account on home page, you had to go to account activity page to bring up other accounts....

So be thankful for the current stage.
Old Dec 27, 08, 12:08 pm #13

sdsearch, your online process worked like a charm for me. Just a couple of hours and I could see the notice of cancellation you cited. Thanks for the help.
upgrader is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 08, 2:11 pm #14
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Has anyone been able to cancel cc's other than Citi via the web site for the card?
ned is offline Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 08, 6:54 pm #15
Fly book Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post
Has anyone been able to cancel cc's other than Citi via the web site for the card?
Chase and AMEX. You need to be a bit assertive with AMEX as they sometimes would come back telling you to call. Just reply to them saying you dont have time to waste on the phone.