Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page > First Hawaiian Bank Priority Destinations Master Card
Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Hawaiian Bank Priority Destinations Master Card

Search this Thread
Old Aug 5, 13, 12:19 am
Original Poster

First Hawaiian Bank Priority Destinations Master Card

First Hawaiian Bank put 2 pages of ad on the Honolulu Sunday newspaper to introduce their new Priority Destinations World Elite Mastercard. It looks pretty good as a travel card.

Fly any airline. No blackout dates.
Earn 5x Priority Miles per $1 spent on travel for first $6,000 in a calendar year.
Earn a 10% Priority Bonus whenever you redeem your Priority Miles for travel
Earn 25,000 bonus Priority Miles with $1,500 spend in the first 3 months
Priority Miles per $1 spent on qualifying Everyday Spend (gas, grocery, cable TV, phone and other monthly utilities)
No Foreign Transaction Fees

I want know your feedback compare this card with other travel cards such as Thankyou, Capital One etc

Thanks
Old Aug 5, 13, 12:53 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 50_fishing View Post
First Hawaiian Bank put 2 pages of ad on the Honolulu Sunday newspaper to introduce their new Priority Destinations World Elite Mastercard. It looks pretty good as a travel card.

Fly any airline. No blackout dates.
Earn 5x Priority Miles per $1 spent on travel for first $6,000 in a calendar year.
Earn a 10% Priority Bonus whenever you redeem your Priority Miles for travel
Priority Miles per $1 spent on qualifying Everyday Spend (gas, grocery, cable TV, phone and other monthly utilities)
No Foreign Transaction Fees

I want know your feedback compare this card with other travel cards such as Thankyou, Capital One etc

Thanks
Without knowing what those miles are really worth, it's a guessing game. If 1X1, then we have a lousy sign up bonus, and mediocre cashback. At least, Cap One Venture gives you 2 points on everything.
Old Aug 5, 13, 9:53 am

Programs: All of em...
For those interested:

Link and more info here: https://fhb.com/en/personal/cred...p-world-elite/

The Rewards Program w/hardly any info on redemption at all: http://fhbdestinations.com

The Rewards Chart (after lots of digging):
https://fhb.com/en/assets/File/C...e_Consumer.pdf

25,000 points is good for about $250 of travel on Orbitz flight search engine, or $200 in hotel or car rental vouchers.... Not the best, but if you've exhausted all the cards out there, you could throw it in.
Old Aug 5, 13, 2:13 pm

Same program?

I wonder if the chart you posted for "priority rewards" will apply to this new "priority destinations" travel card?
Old Aug 5, 13, 7:20 pm

Programs: HA, UA, DL, HHonors, Hyatt, Chase
No, you cannot use the Priority Rewards redemption chart for the Priority Destinations card. They are 2 completely different programs. The Destinations card can only be used for a maximum 1 cent worth of travel or cash back per point. also, there is a $15 fee for any travel redemption.

This is a decent card for the local market, but can't hold its own compared to the bigger banks. the closest comparison would be the barclays arrival card, which is better in almost every way. the only minor advantage is the 5x on travel spending. but that's capped to $6000 per year.
Old Aug 6, 13, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by scoy View Post
No, you cannot use the Priority Rewards redemption chart for the Priority Destinations card. They are 2 completely different programs. The Destinations card can only be used for a maximum 1 cent worth of travel or cash back per point. also, there is a $15 fee for any travel redemption.]
Really? Weird. That's what the website linked to. Maybe I clicked through something wrong.
Old Aug 6, 13, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your advises. I am thinking to apply this card beacuse of the initial bouns. 25K after first $1,500 and 5X for the first $6k travel realted charges . If my math is correct, I will earn 25K + 30K + 6,000 points for my first $6,000 travel expenses. This should be a decent card to earn 61K point or about $610. Plus the airline ticket purchase using points should earn PQM.
Old Aug 6, 13, 11:28 pm

Thanks for your advises. I am thinking to apply this card beacuse of the initial bouns. 25K after first $1,500 and 5X for the first $6k travel realted charges . If my math is correct, I will earn 25K + 30K + 6,000 points for my first $6,000 travel expenses. This should be a decent card to earn 61K point or about $610. Plus the airline ticket purchase using points should earn PQM.
Word. Report back on if you like it. I don't have $6k of travel to spend on, but if you do, I could see why it's semi-valuable.
Old Aug 8, 13, 11:12 am

Is your math correct? Why would you get the extra 6K points? As I see it, you'd spend $6K and get 30K, not 30K + 6K.

Meh.
Old Aug 8, 13, 1:43 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
FOr those of you applying for this card in HI..let me know who first hawaiian pulls from...i mean crediting agency
Old Aug 12, 13, 7:40 pm

Redemptions

I called the bank today to inquire how redemptions are handled with this card. The rep had absolutely no information -- just kept repeating what the points earning rate was.
Old Aug 13, 13, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
I'd be willing to bet money that each "Priority Mile" is really just 1 cent (just like an AmEx Blue Sky point is really just 1.33 cents). In the case of 1 Priority Mile = 1 cent, the ideal strategy would be to get this card and spend $6,000 in travel on it and redeem your points for a statement credit, saving yourself $605 (~10% cash back equivalent with the sign-up bonus included). After that, the card is pretty much useless until the next calendar year when you might want to use again it for 5.5% cashback on travel spending. I could see this being a good card for people who don't care about airline/hotel loyalty but still spend ~$6,000 a year on travel.
Old Nov 8, 14, 12:29 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, UA Silver, DL Crossover
Is the bonus ongoing like the HawaiianMiles card? I'm looking at the website and it's gone?

Edit: Actually it's still there, https://fhbdestinations.com/Specials.aspx

Last edited by msp3; Nov 8, 14 at 12:39 am
Old Nov 22, 14, 4:56 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, UA Silver, DL Crossover
Got the card, but some wierd points about how FHB handles things:

No AUs, a 2nd card holder must be joint
Need a code (mailed out or get in branch) to register for online banking
Can't charge AMEX Serve to this card, since the Serve re-code, FHB is working on it
Old Dec 31, 14, 12:43 pm

Any updates on using this card with Serve?