Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page > PG&E payment or any public utility for that matter

PG&E payment or any public utility for that matter

Old Nov 14, 14, 10:54 am
Original Poster

PG&E payment or any public utility for that matter

I was trying to think of a way to accomplish my spending requirement of whatever it is in the 3 months I will be given so as to qualify for the miles award on this new Chase Sapphire I am getting, and other than paying my cell phone, satellite and internet and land line etc, I thought about using it to prepay on my Gas and Electric account.

PG&E says they charge $1.25 for a credit card payment, so as long as the credit card company processes it as a payment and not a cash advance, I could easily see making a big payment on that account.

I of course could make a small payment and see how it is treated, or call the credit card co which I did and they said it depends on how PG&E processes it.

Getting PG&E on the phone is near impossible so I sent email (why we tolerate for profit companies to control our access to our natural resources is beyond me but I dont want to start that conversation, again)

Anyway, anybody have experience doing this?
Old Nov 14, 14, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Nothing unusual, I do it every year or so with my So Cal Gas bill, and have been doing so for close to 10 years. Similar credit card processing fee ($1.50), but prepay $120-$150 every year, one less bill to worry about, and have no problems with it. Usually you still get "bills" (electronic or paper depending on your choice) but it will be marked "Credit balance, Do Not Pay."

If you decide to move, they will send you the balance check if you move outside the area, or move the balance over to the new account if you're still in the area.
Old Nov 14, 14, 11:51 am

It is treated like a regular card purchase.
Old Nov 14, 14, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold-Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sactoflyer View Post
It is treated like a regular card purchase.
+1 have used it before, no problems
Old Nov 14, 14, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
Nothing unusual, I do it every year or so with my So Cal Gas bill, and have been doing so for close to 10 years. Similar credit card processing fee ($1.50), but prepay $120-$150 every year, one less bill to worry about, and have no problems with it. Usually you still get "bills" (electronic or paper depending on your choice) but it will be marked "Credit balance, Do Not Pay."

If you decide to move, they will send you the balance check if you move outside the area, or move the balance over to the new account if you're still in the area.
Thanks to all for responses...I thought I looked into this once and the fee from PG&E or whoever assesses the fee was a percentage and really high like 2 or 3% but that is not what I am seeing so I must have incorrectly remembered it.
Old Nov 14, 14, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
I pay my PSNC Energy bill via an auto-debit to my credit card every month. No fees or extra charges. Of course, that is in NC and doesn't help you in So Cal. Now if only I could do the same with Duke Energy
Old Nov 15, 14, 9:20 pm

I have personally paid PG&E using a credit card and had it count as a purchase.