Delta Hold Times

Old Jan 10, 18, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Delta Hold Times

I'm confused about Delta telephone hold times. About a half-hour ago I called Delta and talked to a representative in 3 minutes. About 15 minutes later I had another question and called back from the same phone and was told the hold time was TWO HOURS. I was calling from the same phone and both times it recognized the number and thanked me for being a SkyMiles member. These calls were around 11AM on a Wednesday morning.

Why would there be such a huge variation in hold times? Is there any way to get faster service on the phone, like getting a more premium card or some other program with more perqs?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 10, 18, 12:31 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe many people suddenly decided to call Delta? Maybe their telephone IT is having a bad day?
Old Jan 10, 18, 1:52 pm

Programs: Mahalo Rewards
Anyone's guess as to why.

As for getting faster phone service? Some airlines have dedicated separate phone lines for those with higher level elite status, although in my experience that doesn't always guarantee a faster phone response. I haven't had status on Delta for a long time so I don't know what their current offerings are - the Delta web site will tell you if a separate elite line is an amenity at a particular level. Not that I would put money and effort into getting status just to access to the elite phone line, though.
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:05 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec, Avis Presidents Club
If you want an instant answer, call the Singapore reservations number.
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving this to our dedicated Delta forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM
are they still playing the Winter Storm Greyson warning at the beginning of the call?
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
are they still playing the Winter Storm Greyson warning at the beginning of the call?
I didn't hear one.

I tried calling last night to deal with a schedule change. Two hour wait time. Tried calling again just now, 2+ hour wait again. Guess I'll try first thing in the morning tomorrow. Or at this rate, it would probably be faster to visit Delta customer service at my airport...
Old Jan 10, 18, 2:55 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
When I have had issues with crazy wait times I have gone to the airport if it was important to get something done. To answer the OP, status is really the only way to get faster response. When I was no status/Silver, I regularly had to wait 30+ minutes. Now that I am Platinum, I get annoyed when I have to wait 2. The most I have had to wait since getting Platinum is 4 minutes, and the large majority of the time it's picked up on 2 rings. I can't imagine how good the Diamond service is. Maybe they call you before you realize you have a problem?
wxman22 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.3MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
OP - what is your medallion status on DL if any? Status can impact wait times.
I called the DM line this morning and had no wait time.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:20 pm

also, are they not offering the call-back option? anytime i get a wait time on the GM line, they just say they'll call me back in X-Y minutes instead of holding.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
You could try twitter. Once you follow @Delta, they will follow you back and you and direct message them with simple questions, seat assignments, that kind of stuff. Service used to be really fast. But last week when I tried to get on the upgrade list (still have no idea why I wasn't) I didn't hear back for a couple of days and after I had flown.
Old Jan 10, 18, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond, MR Platinum Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Originally Posted by dLo GSR View Post
Its crazy that the Weather Channel names winter storms, did they really call it "Winter Storm Greyson" on the Delta reservations number?
Old Jan 10, 18, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by CVFDCHIEF180 View Post
Its crazy that the Weather Channel names winter storms, did they really call it "Winter Storm Greyson" on the Delta reservations number?
lol yeah i had to wait through that stupid entire recording calling it that, and then saying unless it's urgent plz try later, before it send me to the Elite line chimes and welcome me. And then the call-back time ranged from 20-60 minutes.
Old Jan 10, 18, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, EVA Gold
As somebody who actually spent a good bit of time implementing an "estimated call wait" algorithm for a call center system we sold to mid size centers, it is impossible to get right.

Most of our customers took it as about what it is. Useful in normal situations but hopeless when things go off the wall and the calcs have no way of knowing how other factors will react.

A few customers realized we gave them the tools to tweek it so they could shape the numbers and use that to drive customers.

In short, would not at all be surprised if DL is gaming the est wait time message to try to drive non essential traffic away when they know they have a meltdown. I would do this.
Old Jan 10, 18, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Global Entry, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
These days I don't understand why the callback option isn't standard for any call center of size, which airlines definitely qualify for.

Search this Thread