Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page > Is Transit Visa at Abu Dhabi airport required?

Is Transit Visa at Abu Dhabi airport required?

Old Oct 2, 14, 7:05 pm

Is Transit Visa at Abu Dhabi airport required?

Hello,

Can somebody please advise if I (Indian citizen) traveling to Mumbai, India would need a transit visa at Abu Dhabi airport? I would be at the airport for no more than 5hrs.

I appreciate your suggestions!!
Old Oct 2, 14, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jayteja View Post
Hello,

Can somebody please advise if I (Indian citizen) traveling to Mumbai, India would need a transit visa at Abu Dhabi airport? I would be at the airport for no more than 5hrs.

No visa needed if you are not planning to go out of airport.
Old Oct 2, 14, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by animesh42001 View Post
No visa needed if you are not planning to go out of airport.
Above statement is incorrect IMHO.

Below is what EY call center in India told me about two weeks back for a similar inquiry.

Indian Citizens transiting Abu Dhabi Intl airport do not require transit visa only IF their connection is within 8 hours of arrival. If a connection is more than 8 hours away, though one does not intend to leave the airport, transit visa is mandatory. In such cases where transit is more than 8 hours, if you try boarding EY aircraft without a transit visa, you will be denied boarding.

Above rule does not apply at Dubai and Sharjah airports of UAE.

Last edited by kshastry; Oct 2, 14 at 8:13 pm Reason: Rephrased
Old Oct 2, 14, 8:43 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Finally, after calling Etihad call center for almost 10 times, one of the rep told that no Transit visa is required if we stay at the airport for 24hrs. This contradicts to the reply which Kshastry received. Also, I came across a link of Abu Dhabi airport which mentions about visa if stay is more than 4hrs:
http://abudhabiairport.ae/englis...n-4-hours.aspx
Now this link does not clearly mention that if we do not wish to leave the airport then is the visa really needed or not. Hence all the information is confusing. I wish they can put it very clearly for their passengers so no one gets into trouble.
Old Oct 3, 14, 12:09 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
Thanks for the replies.

Finally, after calling Etihad call center for almost 10 times, one of the rep told that no Transit visa is required if we stay at the airport for 24hrs. This contradicts to the reply which Kshastry received. Also, I came across a link of Abu Dhabi airport which mentions about visa if stay is more than 4hrs:
http://abudhabiairport.ae/englis...n-4-hours.aspx
Now this link does not clearly mention that if we do not wish to leave the airport then is the visa really needed or not. Hence all the information is confusing. I wish they can put it very clearly for their passengers so no one gets into trouble.
Transit visa is not required for Indian citizens. I have personally transited through AUH and know a lot of folks who transited as well without any problems.
Old Oct 3, 14, 1:56 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
Why not just look up the same source that the airlines use?

And before you say it - I know you're not travelling on Star Alliance. But that does not matter - immigration rules apply to all, regardless of airline!

Originally Posted by TIMATICweb

National India (IN) /Residence USA (US)
Embarkation USA (US)
Transit United Arab Emirates (AE)
Destination India (IN)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

United Arab Emirates (AE)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of confirmed onward tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours.
- Visa is required for transit between Dubai International Airport (DXB) and Dubai Al Maktoum International (DWC).

Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for A 96-hour transit visa can be obtained on arrival at Dubai (DXB), provided:
- Facility is not applicable to passengers arriving on SQ-flights.
- E-visas can be obtained via ednrd.ae . These visas are valid for entry at any international airport of the UAE.

Airlines can check the validity of an e-visa at the same site by clicking on the "Query DNRD APP" button.

Minors:
- Passport not required for minors registered in their parent/guardian passport, provided it contains photos of the minors and traveling with the passport holder.
- Separate visa not required for minors registered in their parent/guardian passport
Old Oct 3, 14, 2:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

And before you say it - I know you're not travelling on Star Alliance. But that does not matter - immigration rules apply to all, regardless of airline!
The perfect answer! All airlines utilise TimaticWeb to determine if they'll allow you to board or not, because of the fines thay can incur when they allow one not meeting destination or en route entry requirements.

Greetings from Dublin, today.
Old Oct 3, 14, 9:46 am

Thanks a lot everybody. I was not aware of the TIMATICWeb. Its really helpful. I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.
Old Oct 3, 14, 1:00 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Hello,

Hi Jayteja,

Please note that if you would like to leave the airport during transit in Abu Dhabi Airport. You will need to apply for a transit visa. (Please check it out with the UAE Embassy in your location whether you need a visa.)

Thank you for writing to us. *JS
Old Oct 18, 14, 6:50 am

Programs: Etihadguest Gold,Jet Privilege, LeClub Platinum, Falcon Flyer
Etihad. Help/

If transit is around 12 hours and i wont be leaving the airport, as far as i know i do not require a transit visa,.? Is that correct

I am an indian citizen
Old Oct 18, 14, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Karan View Post
Etihad. Help/

If transit is around 12 hours and i wont be leaving the airport, as far as i know i do not require a transit visa,.? Is that correct

I am an indian citizen
Technically you are not required to have a transit visa as per UAE entry requirements. However EY call center of India insists that economy class pax should apply for a transit visa if layover is 8 hrs or more. However pax travelling in J or F need not have to have a transit visa as they will have access to lounge to stay / eat / sleep.

It seems EY has asked its India ops to ensure Y class pax doesn't burden EY at AUH with STPC requests. Thats the reason for asking pax to obtain a visa at their own cost, get out of airport and look after themselves.

You could risk not applying for a visa (which could cost USD 70 and above) and take your chance. However EY may not allow you to board. Even if you manage to board, AUH is not a nice airport worth spending more than 2 hours at airside. My two cents.
Old Oct 18, 14, 1:24 pm

Programs: Etihadguest Gold,Jet Privilege, LeClub Platinum, Falcon Flyer
Originally Posted by kshastry View Post
Technically you are not required to have a transit visa as per UAE entry requirements. However EY call center of India insists that economy class pax should apply for a transit visa if layover is 8 hrs or more. However pax travelling in J or F need not have to have a transit visa as they will have access to lounge to stay / eat / sleep.

It seems EY has asked its India ops to ensure Y class pax doesn't burden EY at AUH with STPC requests. Thats the reason for asking pax to obtain a visa at their own cost, get out of airport and look after themselves.

You could risk not applying for a visa (which could cost USD 70 and above) and take your chance. However EY may not allow you to board. Even if you manage to board, AUH is not a nice airport worth spending more than 2 hours at airside. My two cents.
Thanks kshashtry,

Will most likely be in J class,

Karan
Old Jan 12, 15, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

Probably you can help in my situation too.

We are flying IAD to AUH on one ticket and from AUH to MCT on another ticket. Both are issued by Etihad and will be from Terminal 3. Now, if IAD doesn't check our bags all the way to MCT, I will have to claim baggage when I get off at AUH.

I am US citizen but my wife who is Indian citizen who is trying to save UAE single entry visa as we will need to enter UAE from MCT as we plan to spend some days there before returning to USA. After baggage claim will she have to go through Visa/immigration even though we are not getting out of the airport? Can she just say that she doesn't want the visa to be stamped as she's going to MCT right away?

We are confused here as how things will work once we land at AUH and if she will have to use her UAE visa just because we claim the baggage. Please help!
Old Jan 12, 15, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by dwatcher View Post
Probably you can help in my situation too.

We are flying IAD to AUH on one ticket and from AUH to MCT on another ticket. Both are issued by Etihad and will be from Terminal 3. Now, if IAD doesn't check our bags all the way to MCT, I will have to claim baggage when I get off at AUH.

I am US citizen but my wife who is Indian citizen who is trying to save UAE single entry visa as we will need to enter UAE from MCT as we plan to spend some days there before returning to USA. After baggage claim will she have to go through Visa/immigration even though we are not getting out of the airport? Can she just say that she doesn't want the visa to be stamped as she's going to MCT right away?

We are confused here as how things will work once we land at AUH and if she will have to use her UAE visa just because we claim the baggage. Please help!
Your bags will be checked through, just show the checkin agent at IAD the eticket for the AUH-MCT flight. To save some hassle, check in online for AUH-MCT. At AUH you may need to pass by the transit desk which is just before transit security to get proper boarding passes printed.

No reason to worry about having to clear immigration then check in again!

As for the question about baggage claim in AUH, it is AFTER immigration. Not that you'll need that any way.
Old Jan 20, 15, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
Your bags will be checked through, just show the checkin agent at IAD the eticket for the AUH-MCT flight. To save some hassle, check in online for AUH-MCT. At AUH you may need to pass by the transit desk which is just before transit security to get proper boarding passes printed.

No reason to worry about having to clear immigration then check in again!

As for the question about baggage claim in AUH, it is AFTER immigration. Not that you'll need that any way.
Just read your reply. Appreciate your input!

Search this Thread