Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page > Bank of America in Hawai'i, what gives???

Bank of America in Hawai'i, what gives???

Old Dec 21, 05, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
Unhappy Bank of America in Hawai'i, what gives???

Ok, so I switch banking institutions when I moved to Phoenix earlier this year and I'm heading back to the islands next week. Bank of America's website lists no ATMs or Banking Centers in the entire state. What gives??? I guess the same can be said for most mainland-based banks in Hawai'i.

Anyways, will I be stangle-held to excessive ATM fees every time I want to withdraw cash there?

I recall some kind of short article regarding Bank of America in Hawai'i, but even that remains a little sketchy to me.

Any input is appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 05, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA
There aren't any BoA's in Hawaii (that I've seen anyway). I'd just go to a grocery/drug store and buy some gum and take cash back.
Old Dec 21, 05, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: Global Entry, Delta, United, Best Western, Hyatt, IHG, Kimpton, Marriott/spg, M life and Hertz
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
Ok, so I switch banking institutions when I moved to Phoenix earlier this year and I'm heading back to the islands next week. Bank of America's website lists no ATMs or Banking Centers in the entire state. What gives??? I guess the same can be said for most mainland-based banks in Hawai'i.

Anyways, will I be stangle-held to excessive ATM fees every time I want to withdraw cash there?

I recall some kind of short article regarding Bank of America in Hawai'i, but even that remains a little sketchy to me.

Any input is appreciated.
Ah, allow me to share with you the story of Bank of America - Hawai`i...

Bank of America had retail branches in Hawai`i from 1992 to 1997 after the purchase of HonFed, FSB (fka. Honolulu Federal Savings and Loan). Despite some successes (including the introduction of interstate banking to Hawai`i) and the acquisition of Liberty Bank of Honolulu in 1995, Bank of America - Hawai`i (a division of Bank of America, FSB) was never able to provide the returns that the parent expected and the majority of the retail and lending operations was sold to American Savings Bank, FSB (creating the third largest financial institution in Hawai`i, behind Bank of Hawai`i and First Hawaiian Bank). Remaining was a small sales force for the Merchant Services (credit card) market and a CRA lending office.

In short, unless you are a member of a credit union (I believe), there are no ATMs in Hawai`i that you can escape paying foreign bank ATM fees. What I decided to do when I moved to California was maintain a token savings account at Bank of Hawai`i, which I fund now and then and use for my trips back home.

Hope this helps!

FlyinHawaiian
Bank of America - Hawai`i associate 1993-1998
Old Dec 21, 05, 7:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Count on Mr. FH to know the right answer and be able to explain it so eloquently?
Old Dec 21, 05, 7:22 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
I know that some mainland banks will credit your ATM fees when you point out that there are no branches within 2500 miles. Worth asking.
Old Dec 21, 05, 7:33 pm

Programs: Global Entry, Delta, United, Best Western, Hyatt, IHG, Kimpton, Marriott/spg, M life and Hertz
Ah, thanks ldsant, but it was easy to speak about a topic so near and dear to my heart. I loved my time at BofAHI; I worked with some stellar, exceptional people, and I keep in touch with many of them to this day.

cblaisd, as always, sage advise.
Old Dec 21, 05, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Owlchick
There aren't any BoA's in Hawaii (that I've seen anyway). I'd just go to a grocery/drug store and buy some gum and take cash back.
That's a nice idea! I usually don't consider it most of the time b/c I typically don't have a need for extra cash, but given how many of the places I like to go to don't accept checks/cards, I'll take this into consideration. I don't know if it's me, but many Hawaiians prefer cash as mode of payment over checks and credit/debit cards.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Ah, allow me to share with you the story of Bank of America - Hawai`i...
Thanks FlyinHawaiian for a well-told story!
It explains almost everything I wondered as to why BofA doesn't exist there.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I know that some mainland banks will credit your ATM fees when you point out that there are no branches within 2500 miles. Worth asking.
A call to BofA is in the works for me.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old Jan 2, 06, 10:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Ahhh, the Hawai'i BofA's

I remembered having a BofA account at UH Manoa when I was in school, then on Maui, trotting over to the Pukalani Foodland, and using the in-store tellers. I had THE BEST service there.

Then, American Savings bought them out, and although I was a little bummed, I continued using the Foodland branch.

I moved to Washington DC for work in 2001 and thought, hey, I'll give BofA a try. Wrong move - the service was so poor! My girlfriend at the time had to remind me several times that I was no longer in Hawai'i....
Old Feb 3, 06, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by lance6
I remembered having a BofA account at UH Manoa when I was in school, then on Maui, trotting over to the Pukalani Foodland, and using the in-store tellers. I had THE BEST service there.

Then, American Savings bought them out, and although I was a little bummed, I continued using the Foodland branch.

I moved to Washington DC for work in 2001 and thought, hey, I'll give BofA a try. Wrong move - the service was so poor! My girlfriend at the time had to remind me several times that I was no longer in Hawai'i....
I believe you. The service is incredibly poor that I don't even step into a BofA branch. I do all my transactions from an ATM machine. Plus I hate how they'll put a hold on your checks that'll last anywhere from a couple days to three weeks (yep, that's right!).

Methinks we should start another class-action against them for their check-clearing practices. I was unfortunately, one of those people who were charged FOUR overdrafts when I should have only gotten ONE, all because BofA decided to clear my biggest purchase first, even when it was purchased WELL AFTER all the others.
Old Feb 7, 06, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA
I'll have to add a caveat to my preferred method of getting around without a BoA in Hawaii. Some retailers (Long's, Foodland) that I got cash back from limit you to $20 only.

So, it's do-able, but that would be a lot of trips to get "gum" if you needed a substantial withdrawal
Old Feb 12, 06, 6:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
Originally Posted by asu-ua772
I believe you. The service is incredibly poor that I don't even step into a BofA branch. I do all my transactions from an ATM machine. Plus I hate how they'll put a hold on your checks that'll last anywhere from a couple days to three weeks (yep, that's right!).

Methinks we should start another class-action against them for their check-clearing practices. I was unfortunately, one of those people who were charged FOUR overdrafts when I should have only gotten ONE, all because BofA decided to clear my biggest purchase first, even when it was purchased WELL AFTER all the others.
Have you ever used the BofA branch on Mill Avenue in The Brickyard (downtown Tempe)? I have had great service every time I've been in there since the branch opened a few years ago.

Also, if there is something I don't want a hold put on, I can take it inside there and deposit with a teller. Every instance where I've requested them not to hold the funds, they've made them immediately available.
Old Feb 12, 06, 11:37 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
May I suggest that general thoughts about B of A deserve their own thread in OMNI? If there are further thoughts about banking in Hawaii or B of A in Hawaii those would be apt on this thread.

Thanks.

cblaisd
Co Moderator, Hawaii forum
Old Feb 12, 06, 4:10 pm
CG

Does anyone else find it ironic that BofA runs the HA co-branded credit card which is carried by a large portion Hawaii residents, but has no ATMs or branches anywhere in Hawaii?
Old Feb 12, 06, 7:12 pm

Let's see if I can try and keep this Hawai`i-specific.

The nature of credit card operations make it pretty hard for smaller banks, such as the ones in Hawai`i, to keep in house and make a profit. It says something when Bankoh, the largest bank in the state, outsources their portfolio.
Old Feb 13, 06, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by CG
Does anyone else find it ironic that BofA runs the HA co-branded credit card which is carried by a large portion Hawaii residents, but has no ATMs or branches anywhere in Hawaii?
That is strange indeed. Perhaps this stems from the initial time HA began to offer the BofA cards. Was it during BofA's peak in the islands? Or was their more financial motivation than anything else? FHB's running of the AQ card would seem a little more logical, but all of this is stuff that's getting into sketchy territory for me.

Search this Thread