Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page > The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

The Definitive Young Renters Thread: 18-20, 21-24

Old Oct 3, 17, 3:48 am - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Wiki Link
Current underage fee waiver code quick reference:

Use either a CDP or a PC:

CDPs
AAA: various codes listed here - fee now waived for AAA members age 20-24 as confirmed here
USAA: 77694 - for USAA members age 18-24
Hertz Gold Family: 1826991 - Technically only for those who signed up for Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (free) through this link: http://hertz.com/goldfamily, though not likely enforced - Seems to no longer work in U.S. but continues to work in Canada

PCs
Current underage fee wavier PC: 106934 - fee reduced to $9.99/day through 3/31 (possibly no longer valid as of 3/4?)
Please add one if anything comes up in the future!

Are there other CDPs? If you find them, please post them in this thread.

Alternative companies and options
USAA member discount at other companies: Avis: A177232, Budget: Y126501, Enterprise: ALNCWBA
Avis: reports are that the Visa cardholders discount (B204400) removes the underage fee--do a test booking at Avis.com to check
Budget: If renting in Canada, the Costco Executive Member code appears to waive the underage driver fee (source)
Dollar: reduced underage driver fee of $9.99/day through 3/31 when booking with coupon code 101080

Summary of the situation

Here's what we've discussed/researched/experienced so far:
Age 21-24
  • Daily "Age Differential Charge"
    • Lower daily charge - varies by location, approx $15 - Classes A, B, C, D, F, G, J
    • Higher daily charge - varies by location, approx $25 - all others except Prestige & Adrenaline
  • Daily fee is easily waived with a PC or these CDPs: Hertz Gold Family, USAA.
  • Fee is also waived for US Government Employees and Military (travelling at leisure or on orders, ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card).
  • Prestige and Adrenaline are never rentable under 25.
  • In Mississippi the minimum age is 21 by law.

Age 18-20
  • Mandated by law in NY, MI and also allowed in QC. Age Differential Charge is $41 per day and could vary. (Underage fee waiver by PC and Hertz Gold Family CDP is for 21-24 only.)
  • USAA members 18-20 years old can rent anywhwere in the United States with no fee.
    • USAA "program benefits apply only at participating locations in the United States. They do not apply to international rentals or if the rental agreement terms have been violated."
    • "Reminder: You may be requested to present your USAA-Hertz Discount Card or USAA Member Card for identification at the time and place of rental."
  • US Government Employees/Military 18-20 years old travelling on orders (ID and orders authorizing car rental required or paying with a federal government-issued credit card) are also able to rent with no fee.
  • Only vehicles available are classes A, B, C, D, F.
To read the Hertz policy at a specific location:
1) Click this link for Rental Requirements.
2) Select the location.
3) Click the name of the location when found.
4) Select "Age Requirements" from the drop down box.
Outstanding questions

1) Will the USAA CDP work for limited members?

USAA is an organization for US military, veterans, and their families. You must meet this qualification in order to get USAA insurance. But anybody can join USAA for free as a limited member.

What has yet to be reported here is if the limited membership qualifies for all the USAA Hertz benefits, which includes the under age fee being waived. And of course anybody could use USAA CDP and hope their membership isn't verified, but what if there were a bad accident? Things could get ugly and lawyers would certainly get involved.

In practice, Hertz seems not to discriminate between limited and full members of USAA. Actually, Hertz almost never even asks for identification to prove USAA membership, but in the event they do, providing your USAA number, a screenshot of the USAA page, or something else showing affiliation should be sufficient. Consequences after the fact if damage is involved remain unclear, though.

2) Are there any states/locations beside NY and MI that rent to under 20?

Per roymustang: "USAA members may rent as young as 18 years old, except where prohibited by state law, such as the aforementioned Mississippi. Front-line employees may resist but managers should be aware of this perk."

3) What about outside of the USA?

Per GW McLintock: "The underage PC only works in the USA and Canada. CDP waivers I believe will work outside of the US, but it may be best to get in touch with the location or customer service beforehand just to confirm. I would expect to be given a hard time especially at licensed franchises abroad."

Additional places to look for PCs
- The coupon sticky thread: PC and RQ Registry - Promotion Codes and Rate Codes only
- Hertz.com-
-
- Email and snailmail from Hertz
- All around the interwebs
- When you find new codes, be sure to post them in the coupon sticky thread

Originally based on material posted by Rut Dog; used by permission
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 15, 17, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
I see what you're saying. I was given an age differential when I tried booking for US locations such as OKC. However, there is still no age differential for Canadian Hertz locations such as at YYZ, YUL, and YVR. It seems that Gold Family CDP only works in Canada now!
Ha, good find! Yes, you seem to be correct. The Gold Family CDP continues to waive the underage fee in Canada for 20-25. I've updated the wiki accordingly.
Old Jan 30, 17, 3:48 pm

Anyone know a way to waive the underage driver fee anywhere in Europe? I've tried all the CDP's I can find for the Paris, France Airport. We want to fly into Paris France or Rome Italy, but if we cant figure out a way to get the fee waived at those we would consider flying to other places in Europe as well, Just want to go on a 2 week or so trip and the surcharge is like $400! Im 24.5, and my wife is 1 month older than me.
Old Feb 15, 17, 1:50 pm

Does anyone have the old link to join Gold via USAA? The one on the USAA site is not working, and the PDF that had the link doesn't seem to be valid anymore.

Edit: Via a bit of sleuthing, I found it. If you go to the Hertz USAA page, then click on the Join Gold, it works.
Old Feb 17, 17, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by troyhazard View Post
Anyone know a way to waive the underage driver fee anywhere in Europe? I've tried all the CDP's I can find for the Paris, France Airport. We want to fly into Paris France or Rome Italy, but if we cant figure out a way to get the fee waived at those we would consider flying to other places in Europe as well, Just want to go on a 2 week or so trip and the surcharge is like $400! Im 24.5, and my wife is 1 month older than me.
Hertz in Europe has pretty high age restrictions and surcharges. Why not just use a more age-friendly rental agency like Europcar or Sixt?

In other news, it seems that CAA membership no longer waives underage fees in Canada!
Old Feb 26, 17, 12:51 pm

Hello guys,

I'm currently living outside US, but I'm planning to do a roadtrip in september. Do you if I can apply to AAA membership or USAA not being an US resident? If not, do you guys have any idea how I can get this fee waived?
This underage fee is killing me.

Thank you for the help.
Old Apr 26, 17, 9:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond LH FTL
I'm not qualified for any of the underage fee waiver listed on this post, so I decided to just look for the biggest discount code. Came across this AWD B270898, other users have been using this just as a regular discount code but oddly enough this waives the underage fee when I do the search (picking up the car in Toronto). Has anyone successfully used this code before?
Old May 9, 17, 10:39 am

Has anyone rented a car using the Avis 'Visa cardholders discount'?

It's does waiver the fee online, just don't want to turn up in Florida and be stung for the Young Driver's fee when I collect the car.

The website states my age (24)... so surely they can't charge me on the spot?

Any success stories?
Old May 9, 17, 10:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, AAdvantage, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by troyhazard View Post
Back in the days (2013) you could use the Hertz campus CDP 778027 to waive the fees for 3 days + but I'm not sure it works year long. You have to use the French website for it to work.

Another option is the Total Loisir code 793961 that works pretty much everywhere in the world. Be careful this is a corporate code they might ask you for a corporate ID, though Ive never had to.

Last edited by Chuvash; May 9, 17 at 11:14 am
Old May 14, 17, 10:55 am

Hi Guys!

19 Year old from Germany here.

Want to rent a car at a MN or NY Station this summer.

Since Im from Germany USAA won't work for me. (Just called them)

Also the Hertz CPD Doesn't work anymore either, right?

Does anyone has any tipps how to rent and not having to pay like 600 bucks for 4 days.

Thanks a lot in advance!

-Noah
Old May 20, 17, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by nhoad94 View Post
Has anyone rented a car using the Avis 'Visa cardholders discount'?

It's does waiver the fee online, just don't want to turn up in Florida and be stung for the Young Driver's fee when I collect the car.

The website states my age (24)... so surely they can't charge me on the spot?

Any success stories?
I have contacted Avis customer support about this, since I wanted to be sure, and it should work!

We have seen that the rate you were quoted at already included all taxes and fees and unlimited mileage, therefore, that will be the final amount you will be charged.

As you stated, since you added the corporate discount number ''B204400''
the underage fee will be waived, so there should be no problem with that
either.
Old May 29, 17, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash View Post
Ha, good find! Yes, you seem to be correct. The Gold Family CDP continues to waive the underage fee in Canada for 20-25. I've updated the wiki accordingly.
Do u happen to know the terms and conditions for Gold family CDP? I know they dont ask anything on the counter but in case I get into an accident will they start digging into how I am a member or not? Was this code once open for the public or is it only for family of Hertz employees?
Old May 29, 17, 7:26 pm

No. Gold Family was for retail underage customers. The name "family" was presumably because it was at some point marketed to business traveler parents, to let their young adult kids have Gold. It would build loyalty, with the counter bypass benefits of regular Gold, while removing an obstacle to a good customer experience, the underage fee.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; May 29, 17 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:21 am

B204400 - has someone used this code (Visa holders Avis) to waive underage fee?
Old Jun 29, 17, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Daniel Kubiak View Post
B204400 - has someone used this code (Visa holders Avis) to waive underage fee?
Yes, I've used this successfully last year!
Old Jun 30, 17, 6:39 am
lvx

Last edited by lvx; Nov 7, 17 at 7:05 pm

Search this Thread