Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page > Fiat 500L Trunk - Fits 1 Large Suitcase or not?
Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiat 500L Trunk - Fits 1 Large Suitcase or not?

Search this Thread
Old May 29, 15, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Fiat 500L Trunk - Fits 1 Large Suitcase or not?

Never drove Fiat before. In 2 weeks I will get a rental car as the following at MXP:

(Y) Fiat 500L Automatic or Similar
Compact, 4-5 Door, Automatic, Air
5 Passengers
1 Large Suitcase, 2 Small Suitcases
Automatic Transmission
Air Conditioning
59 miles/gallon or better
105 CO2 emmissions

My concern is that I will bring one large suitcase and two medium size suitcases (carry on size: 20" x 14" x9"). The "large" suitcase is something like the 29" Samsonite: with 29" x 20" x 12" (expanded) dimension. I am not sure if mine "large" suitcase is the same as the spec mentioned in the Hertz rental car description...

Anyone with driving experience of Fiat 500L can clarify a little for me? Thanks in advance.
Old May 30, 15, 9:01 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I have driven the 500L and it is pretty roomy. It has over 20 cubic feet of cargo space, which is larger than most cars carry in their trunk. The issue is the car is for a 500L or similar. Not familiar enough with the Italian fleet to know what else you could get.
Old May 30, 15, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold; HH <>; IHG Plat; Hertz Gold.
Thanks KevinMD.

I will take a chance. Hopefully I can talk to them to switch to a "similar" car to fit my luggage if the one assigned to me does not fit. The worst case, I can take something out of the suitcase and squeeze the case a little.

One related question to bother you guys w/o opening a new post:
My flight flying to MXP with one stop at FRA (Frankfurt, 2.5 hr stop) from outside Europe, both flights are from LH. Will they let me collect the luggage at FRA or I can get the checked-in luggage from MXP?
Old May 31, 15, 1:10 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
If you want (need?) an Automatic, your choice will be limited unless you go for the more expensive car classes. In Italy, like the rest of Europe, most rental cars have a manual box, so the Auto groups have far fewer cars and less choice.

The 500L is a very roomy car, so one large suitcase should fit. And it it won't, then unless you upgrade to something a lot bigger, nothing else that may be available in the same class will accommodate your luggage, either.

There is a thread - recently updated - which lists what is in the Italian fleet at present. Suggest you review that.
Old May 31, 15, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by pigblackdog View Post
Thanks KevinMD.

One related question to bother you guys w/o opening a new post:
My flight flying to MXP with one stop at FRA (Frankfurt, 2.5 hr stop) from outside Europe, both flights are from LH. Will they let me collect the luggage at FRA or I can get the checked-in luggage from MXP?
Luggage is checked to MXP
Immigration (passport control) in FRA (entry into Schengen Zone)
security in FRA: yes/no depending of Arrival/Departure terminal/gate
Customs for checked baggage is in MXP
Customs for carry-on is in FRA (theoretically) e.g. carrying more than 10'000 Euros: FRA

Strictly follow signs to your connecting terminal/gate in FRA. It's a maze!
Old Jul 16, 15, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by pigblackdog View Post
Never drove Fiat before. In 2 weeks I will get a rental car as the following at MXP:

(Y) Fiat 500L Automatic or Similar
Compact, 4-5 Door, Automatic, Air
5 Passengers
1 Large Suitcase, 2 Small Suitcases
Automatic Transmission
Air Conditioning
59 miles/gallon or better
105 CO2 emmissions

My concern is that I will bring one large suitcase and two medium size suitcases (carry on size: 20" x 14" x9"). The "large" suitcase is something like the 29" Samsonite: with 29" x 20" x 12" (expanded) dimension. I am not sure if mine "large" suitcase is the same as the spec mentioned in the Hertz rental car description...

Anyone with driving experience of Fiat 500L can clarify a little for me? Thanks in advance.
Can you please provide update, did the Fiat 500L fit your 3 suitcases? I have the exactly the same question for my trip in Italy in August.
Old Jul 17, 15, 1:13 am

This review shows pictures of the 500L. Caution, the boot photo shows the space with the rear seats folded away.
http://honestjohn.co.uk/road-tes...2013-road-test
Remember that your booking is for the example car "or similar". I rent quite a lot from Hertz in Europe and the fleet is always changing between model types, I very rarely get the quoted car - it's always an equivalent from a different manufacturer.
Old Jul 17, 15, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
You should note that the 500L is only an example car - for instance, I've had a Renault Captur in Milan and while it was fine for me and my two (small) bags the luggage space in that car is very limited.
Old Jul 17, 15, 8:48 am

I have presidential circle status, does the benefit of guaranteed 1 class upgrade apply in Italy? I am debating whether I should put in the note request NOT upgrading given the narrow roads in small towns and Amalfi coast, but I need a car at least can fit my 3 luggages.
Old Jul 21, 15, 3:44 pm

The only way to know for sure is when you try to fit your luggage into the car, but most of the fleet is pretty small. For example the "midsize" default option is the Fiat 500X which has basically the same length and width as the "compact" 500L and the "wagon/estate" Jeep Renegade. All are built by Fiat on the same platform so it's not surprising that the dimensions are similar.