Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page > Become a member of USAA w/o being past military to properly use Hertz USAA CDP.

Become a member of USAA w/o being past military to properly use Hertz USAA CDP.

Old Sep 4, 12, 9:36 am

Is there a way I can become a member of USAA without being past military? (I do not want to use their insurance products but legimately qualify for the Hertz discounts)

Thank you.
Old Sep 4, 12, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum

I think you have to be a family member of a member if not military.
Old Sep 4, 12, 10:53 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
For what it's worth, while I use the USAA CDP often, it's never yielded a rate so unusual that I'd join solely for that purpose. The AAA CDP is typically very similar. Sometimes one is a little better than the other...and sometimes the latest airline partner CDP is better than both of them.

If you are eligible to use USAA, then by all means use it for auto and home insurance as well! About once every 5 years I get some random competitor's quote just to reconfirm that USAA is still, in fact, the best option for me. It always is.
Old Sep 4, 12, 11:20 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Who is eligible?

Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military.

Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS).

Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product.1

Widows and widowers of USAA members who have or had a USAA auto or property insurance policy.

If you don't fit into those you probably can't easily join.
Old Sep 4, 12, 11:20 pm

Programs: Bee Six, DL KM, Hertz 5*, Carlson Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Greyhound Road Rwds
Actually you're all wrong... I have no military affiliation whatsoever (other than my grandparents perhaps, and one of my grandfathers had never heard of USAA until I told him about it). As long as you are an American citizen with a Social Security number, you can sign up for USAA and take advantage of many of their services -- including their rental car benefits. Without a military affiliation cannot take out a mortgage on your home with them, easily use their banking or insurance services, and a few other things, but the rental car benefits are available to everyone -- and they are plentiful.

Hertz generally also treats USAA members very well I've yet not to receive an upgrade of some sort (the worst I've done is from F to a YF/Impala LTZ or F to a F6/Camry; best I've done is best I've done is C to F or D to Q4). Keep in mind this is all with basic #1 Club Gold status.

-J.
Old Sep 5, 12, 7:37 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
The biggest benefit of using the USAA CDP is the primary liability insurance, loss damage capped at $5,000, and waiver of loss of use fee (in case of an accident).

But jzweighaft I'm pretty darn sure that the rental car benefits are only supposed to be offered to full USAA members (those eligible for USAA insurance products) not just banking customers.

If you are counting on this insurance, you might want to confirm, in writing, that USAA covers banking customers. Like I said, I'm almost certain they do not -- even if it is easy to use the CDP when booking and renting.

Clarification: USAA started as an insurance company. Insurance companies are not subject to federal anti-discrimination laws -- they can choose to limit their sales to whomever they wish. But banks are covered under discrimination laws. So when USAA opened their bank they were told by the feds that they could not limit their membership. That's why the distinction is between banking members and full members who can purchase USAA insurance.

I used to be a banking only member; now I am a full member. It wasn't easy -- I had to convince my father, a veteran who never saw combat, to purchase some insurance. Their auto and homeowners rates were not competitive for him. Eventually, I convinced him to purchase a valuables policy for $50. At that point he became a full member, and I, too, instantly became a full member. Now my children will have the option, and if they purchase insurance, their children.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 5, 12 at 7:43 am
Old Sep 5, 12, 7:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
Actually you're all wrong...
Than you should contact USAA, as what I posted came directly from their website.
Old Sep 5, 12, 9:02 am

Programs: Bee Six, DL KM, Hertz 5*, Carlson Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
The biggest benefit of using the USAA CDP is the primary liability insurance, loss damage capped at $5,000, and waiver of loss of use fee (in case of an accident).

But jzweighaft I'm pretty darn sure that the rental car benefits are only supposed to be offered to full USAA members (those eligible for USAA insurance products) not just banking customers.

If you are counting on this insurance, you might want to confirm, in writing, that USAA covers banking customers. Like I said, I'm almost certain they do not -- even if it is easy to use the CDP when booking and renting.
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Than you should contact USAA, as what I posted came directly from their website.
I'm not sure how I'm a member then. I searched the site extensively for evidence stating I was ineligible for the rental car benefits (spent about a day and a half in December since I didn't want to screw up) and found nothing saying I couldn't. I didn't lie about anything on my application either.

FWIW I really only use it for the age waiver benefit. My family's insurance policy covers me for insurance aspects, and my Amex covers the LDW.

-J.
Old Sep 5, 12, 9:08 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this worth a chat w. USAA. If you are counting on insurance benefits associated with a rental or you rent under a CDC for which you are not qualified and there's an accident (not talking about property damage, but serious personal injury) and you are found liable, you may well find Hertz (if you purchased coverage through them) and/or USAA denying coverage.

This is true of all uses of discounts which have limitations. If you use one for which you're not qualified, the risk is stupendous and that does not refer to the $3 you saved on the rental.
Old Sep 5, 12, 10:27 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Wow...a lot of stuff needs to get cleaned up in this thread.

(1) Anybody can buy a USAA banking product. (In fact, I seem to recall that they have some mutual funds out there although I don't own any.) The military or military family requirement is primarily for the insurance products, but likely also extends to some of their other non-banking products. The original value in being a USAA member was auto insurance - their policies were (and still are) friendly to active duty military who frequently change their levels and locations of coverage, even going dormant for a time, whereas some other insurance companies penalize this severely. Now there is value (for me, anyway) in homeowners insurance, credit cards (to a limited extent), and other services. I've bought my last two cars using USAA's quote service which beat Costco's quote service and my own (amateur) negotiating skills handily. Oddly enough, I found that my local credit union beat USAA on mortgage and car loans.

(2) Using the USAA CDP at a rental car agency has nothing to do with your USAA auto insurance. It is not an LDW-included rate that could, in theory, subject you to serious problems if you get into an accident without other insurance cover. I honestly don't know if "banking only" customers are technically supposed to use the CDP or not: that would be Hertz's call I suppose. (Sort of like using the AAA code if you aren't a AAA member.) But if you use the USAA CDP, that doesn't suddenly grant you USAA insurance on that rental if you don't already have it otherwise. It's just a discount code.

(3) The USAA CDP doesn't entitle the renter to any unusual form of upgrades. In fact, I'm surprised if anybody even notices it at a big rental location. There are some compatible PC codes for upgrades and I remember a few years ago that the USAA CDP would sometimes turn up a pretty good rate on a confirmed Premium car whereas AAA and most other codes are pretty ineffective above FCAR. (Not sure if this is still true. The USAA rate would sometimes be $2-3 above FCAR, whereas the typical CDP does a large jump up at Premium unless you have an upgrade PC.)