Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page > DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando {US-FL}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando {US-FL}

Old Feb 28, 04, 4:09 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, Bmi Blue, HH Silver,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando {US-FL}

Hello,

According to the Doubletree site, the new doubletree at Universal studios(5780 Major Bld) is accepting reservations after May 01 2004 as it is under construction;

http://doubletree.com/en/dt/hote...tyhocn=MCOUNDT

The radisson website however sitll shows the hotel available even after 01 May;

http://radisson.com/reservation/...05030405050410

So it looks like if any Radisson people book for after 1st of May they may find themselves at the Doubletree- ( same address, two towers )

The hotel looks nice ( I remember staying there a long time ago when it was a Radisson)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 19, 04, 8:53 am
Fly book Evangelist

From joesentme.com ....".....The huge Radisson hotel at the entrance to the Universal theme park in Orlando has been reflagged as a Doubletree Hotel. The 742-room, twin-towered property will undergo a $14 million renovation. Speaking of Doubletree, Johnson & Wales University has purchased the Doubletree Hotel.....".

Usually the swithch is DT to Radisson. Anyhow this is a huge properity and I really wonder if $14 mil is enough to refurb it. I heard it was not in the best of shape.

MisterNice
Old Feb 26, 05, 2:46 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Hi,

As an update, I will be staying here for 2 nights on 29th April -1st May ( then moving to the Hilton WDW) to take advantage of the proximity to Universal.

According to my booking list I have already been pre-upgraded to a corner room.

I will give a stay report upon my return to the UK in mid may.

Regards

TBS
Old May 11, 05, 1:44 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Doubletree Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando Trip Reports and Reviews

Hi,

Date of stay 29th April-1st May
Room 1834 (North Tower)

I arrived at 5pm from MCO and seen straight away. I was given a room of Universal on the 2nd top floor ( floor 19 is the Penthouse) and three cookies and breakfast coupons
Elevators ( 3 per tower) were a little slow moving and the interiors could have done with an update ( ie the floor buttons paint were coming off)

The room was large and well maintained and decorated with views towards universal althoughn as most of universal is fairly low you do not see a lot. The windows have gold anti glare stuff coveirng them and this was worn through to the ordinary glass in a part of the windw ( very small).Two bottles of water were also provided.

The swimming pool is quite large (25m?) and goes down to 9ft at the deep end and was open until 11pm. The water tempreature is quite warm.There is a fitness center in the North Tower ( access from the pathway by the pool) and gues laundry ($2 per washer& dryer)

There is a mini food court with TCBY and Pizza Hut express which produced 1person pan pizzas for $6 as well as selling foodstuffs.

To the north of the hotel( two minutes walk outside the car park) there are a couple more restaurants and a Walgreens).

The room was quiet enough and the bathroom was well lit with good water pressure.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant ( there is a HH separate seating section- close to the food serving stations ) .Staff were good in keeping the non hh customers away in the main section-useful when there was a large school group in the hotel.

Pompano's ( the restaurant) did dinner also and I had a steak which was excellently done ( not too hard nor too soft and it was wonderful and not too expensive.

The hotel only has 2 shuttles to Universal per day ( 845 and 10am) but it is around a 15minute walk up the road and along the footpath past the car park to join citywalk at the Valet parking. Although vineland road is busy and wide there is a walk signal to get you across safely.

Check out time was 11am but got a 1pm check out time with no problems.

On the other side of Major Bld there is a Holiday Inn Express and TGIF's. but apart from that there is not a lot nearby. You colud see the Sheraton Studip City in the distance.

Overall not a bad hotel and very close to Universal/IoA and handy for I4.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 6, 07, 1:11 pm

Doubletree Universal Orlando - specific question re ticket inclusive rates

Doubletree Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando - has some Universal ticket inclusive rates. I'd like to book this but hang on to the tickets for a short while and use them later - has anyone any experience with this? Will the tickets be date stamped or have short expirations, etc?
Thanks all
Old Jan 6, 07, 2:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt,Marriott,AA
When I organized a group booking and family reunion there two years ago, I found the packages to be less advantageous than pricing out rooms and tickets separately. I also would not be inclined to believe the hotel booking agent. I had a few clues with this hotel that would make me avoid the packages and buy tickets directly via Universal's website. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY[/B] this is one of the FEW hotels I would emphatically avoid a Hilton product. The (3) Universal hotels (Portofino, Hard Rock, and Royal Pacific) allow ONLY their hotel guests a separate express lines for rides and attractions. This is NOT the case at Disney. Therefore, for Universal only, I would never stay off campus. (my fam reunion had other restrictions that made it necessary). The express line in this instance makes up for any kind of DTree bargains or points. BTW, the DTree is not all that great and the (3) Universal hotels are knock-your-socks-off superior. The Hotels also have boat-ride access to the ticket turnstiles that is big factor for ambiance and speed (even non-guests can ride the boats).
Old Aug 14, 07, 11:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM, HH
DoubleTree Hotel at the Entrance to Universal Orlando

Stayed here 8/9/2007 thru 8/11/2007. Check-in and check-out were easy with no lines. Booked a room at the internet prepaid rate of $92.65/night. Used e-Checkin and was booked in 1834 with "your upgrade was not available". The room I booked was not a "Universal View" room but 1834 is a "Universal View" room so this was an upgrade. 1834 is on the top floor. There is no Executive Floor at this hotel but as a Diamond we were given continental breakfast coupons for both days. The room was average and had been upgraded with the Hilton bed. The hotel has completed some of the renovations including a new lobby bar. There is a Starbuck's also.

Definitely the closet hotel to Universal. There is a free shuttle to Universal or a cab ride from the hotel to the guest dropoff at Ujniversal ran from $3 to $5.50 depending on how long we waited at the traffic light and how slow the driver drove. I would stay here again if going to the Universal parks.

Had a voice mail from the Destination Universal desk in the lobby the first morning for 250 Hilton points and a complimentary gift. While Mrs. was taking a nap I filled out the form and got the complimentary gift of six or so postcards including pictures of the HGV in Orlando. They asked how long we were staying and when I said we were leaving the next day they said OK. Evidently not long enough to schedule the timeshare presentation for which they were offering $100. The next evening got a voice mail from the Hilton HHonors representative at the hotel asking if everything was OK. It was.

I would stay here again if visiting Universal Orlando.
Old Aug 14, 07, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by jgump95 View Post
The room was average and had been upgraded with the Hilton bed.
the Hilton Bed? Do you mean the Sweet Dreams bed?
Old Aug 14, 07, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, HH
Bed

Yes, the Sweet Dreams bed.
Old Aug 18, 07, 7:33 pm

On check-in last Jan I received a coupon on check-in for 250 hhons points.
Handed it it to the rep who took my details - still waiting for the points. Suspect it was because I too was on a one night stay and not enough time to schedule a timeshare thing...

Watch for decent rates that include universal tickets, it is close (I walked back easily enough but wouldnt recommend it for families due to traffic) and it is of a decent standard but big and busy.
Old Nov 2, 07, 2:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold; Piss-Bucket-Holder Level on Delta and USAir
I stayed here recently, a single night "Universal View" room. Overall, I was impressed by the hotel.

From time to time, my girlfriend and I like to meet up with a couple of friends out at Universal CityWalk for a low-key gathering at Pat O'Briens or the Red Coconut. We're local, but not really close, so we like to get a hotel on those occasions, since driving home is not always the best idea.

I really liked the courtyard in between the two towers, and the Pompano's full service restaurant can cook up a nice eggs benedict. The room was pretty nice, and had a pretty comfortable couch near the window that opened up into a second bed (we were in a king room). Of course, we got our cookies, and we also received the free 250 HH points ticket, which you have to go down to the lobby to redeem. There, they'll try to sell you on a vacation package, but I told her I'm local and she said, "Oh, okay! Then just sign this, and you'll see your points in 6-8 weeks." Cool. Although I've since lost my "receipt", so I hope there's no problem getting those points credited to my account.

They have a shuttle to get you to Universal, as well. I think it was $5. It's worth it, even if you can park at Universal for free (with an annual pass, etc.), because the drop off point is an escalator ride from Citywalk, rather than a 10-minute walk from the garage.
Old Nov 3, 07, 8:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt,Marriott,AA
WARNING:Avoid This Hotel due to BusTours

I stayed at this DTree just after the renovation about 1-2 yrs ago and since then have avoided it. All sorts of tour groups are bused into this hotel. It was a noisy (pre-teens loitering in the hallways evading the chaperones at 2am) and a crowded experience (kids clogging the elevators cruising for their buddys). About 2 weeks ago, instead we stayed at the HGI around the corner (HGI International Drive North - on 5877 American Way, Orlando). A MUCH superior experience due to:

* Free shuttle - no $5 fee (nickel and dime 'ya)
* Free parking - no $7 fee
* Made-to-order hot breakfast
* Rooms are newer (despite DTree's renovation)

This hotel is also within walking distance (but a hike to be sure) of Universal.
Old Jan 5, 11, 5:50 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I have stayed in this property three times now and my expectations have been exceeded each time - and in fact, the return business has been commented on and recognition shown in increasing ways. My experience matches that of The _Banking_Scot despite some 6 years having passed.

A large hotel such as this has the potential to be very impersonal - and yet the staff are very on the ball, looking for their '10' no doubt. My last stay was with the family - 2 small kids and wife in tow - extra cookies at check-in, desk manager gave us complementary internet for the week, despite having received a Gold My-Way upgrade to a higher floor corner room. Coupons for continetal breakfast were given and it was possible to upgrade to the full offering for an extra $7. Parking fees were waived also. This property, despite not being a 'wow' property came as close as I have experienced to a near-perfect stay (with expectations set for the type of hotel it is).

I do agree that the HGI on American Way is a winner - small property, well maintained, nice breakfast etc., quiet, but it doesn't have the range of amenities of the DT. Nor the unbeatable location.

I will be returning to the Doubletree at the Entrance to Universal Studios later this month (a Lufthansa F redemption in honour of my wife's birthday ) and will try to get some decent photos to post here.
Old Dec 4, 12, 4:30 pm

Doubletree Suites Orlando - best way to get from airport?

travelling as family of 4. Any service better than just getting a taxi?
Old Dec 4, 12, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Is it the one by Universal? Try the Mears Transportation Shuttle. Pretty convenient.

Search this Thread