Hilton late check out

Old Feb 16, 16, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec club. Priority Club, Hilton honors, spg,
Hilton late check out

As a hhonours gold I very seldom seem to get a late checkout at Hilton group hotels. Last week at the Conrad Miami, I requested a 4pm checkout but was refused as they were very busy with Miami Boat Show arrivals.

Fair enough I thought but was then offered a late check out if I paid half a night's stay. Surely they are either able to offer a late check out or not?

Am I missing something or perhaps being unreasonable?
Old Feb 16, 16, 10:57 am

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I get when places say they are booked solid and can not do it. Sort of. After all, it is not like all those people trying to check in are going to get a room as the room staff is often cleaning them into the late afternoon anyways. Though 4pm is a bit late.

Anyways, if they are unable to as a benefit, but then are able to do it for a fee... wrong.
Old Feb 16, 16, 11:47 am

What's the different if they are busy with incoming traffic if the late checkout is free or costs money? Offering something for a fee after stating they are too busy to do it for free made absolutely no sense!
Old Feb 16, 16, 11:48 am
Fly book Evangelist

If I were a gold I would not expect a 4pm checkout during special event times without paying for it. As a diamond at the Conrad Miami I have only received a 2pm late checkout.

Charging the gold member a fee does make sense especially if they inconvenience another guest by not having a room ready. In that case the property will provide some other amenity or comp to the person whose room is not ready.
Old Feb 16, 16, 12:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Unclear policy

In my opinion, the HHonors program has a very unclear late check out policy.

I do agree at busy times - be it if you are gold or diamond - after a certain limit, they should charge, for e.g the 4 pm request. At least in such a situation (unless completely full) they should offer until 2 pm max.

However for situation where the hotel has the capacity, they should offer it for at least until 4pm complimentary for Elite members.

Due to the unclear statement within the program, even an additional 30 minutes can be claimed as late checkout - which I find ridiculous - they may as well not provide any.

We should make HHonors aware of this. At least with Marriott and SPG - it is very clear that late check out means 4 pm, anything beyond that is at the hotels discretion.
Old Feb 16, 16, 2:56 pm

There is also manpower to consider. Unless you have managed similar operations, the sheer number of things to consider in preparing a room will likely escape you. Then there are the other things like late checkout vs early check in, high number of elites in certain parts of the world, property size. A lot of folks may say it is just one room... To a property, if they practice a certain policy, it will likely have to be consistent to reduce errors on their team. After considering everything, the management will likely feel that there is too big a commitment. I always felt the half day stay was not designed to help the bottom line but rather to discourage such request.
Old Feb 16, 16, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
There is also manpower to consider. Unless you have managed similar operations, the sheer number of things to consider in preparing a room will likely escape you. Then there are the other things like late checkout vs early check in, high number of elites in certain parts of the world, property size. A lot of folks may say it is just one room... To a property, if they practice a certain policy, it will likely have to be consistent to reduce errors on their team. After considering everything, the management will likely feel that there is too big a commitment. I always felt the half day stay was not designed to help the bottom line but rather to discourage such request.
Agreed. And it may be to cover having someone stay to clean the room that late.

I've done late checkout many times as all levels of HHonors over the years, but never that late. I think 1pm or maybe 1:30 is the latest I've ever asked for.
Old Feb 16, 16, 8:15 pm
Fly book Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM & MM, UA PS, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NA EE
HH has been the worst of the chains I stay at WRT late checkout for elites. The best I typically get is a 1/2pm checkout for being a HH diamond. Nice, real benefit.

Used to a 4pm checkout as a IHG RA or Hyatt Diamond. Get with the times Hilton...
Old Feb 16, 16, 9:11 pm

There is also manpower to consider. Unless you have managed similar operations, the sheer number of things to consider in preparing a room will likely escape you.
Originally Posted by MissJ View Post
Agreed. And it may be to cover having someone stay to clean the room that late.
As a former hotel employee/manager, this is the main reason why a hotel might charge a fee as described by the OP. If the room type is sold out, a 4pm check-out means someone from Housekeeping will need to stay late to clean the room. That's a cost for the hotel.
Old Feb 17, 16, 5:05 am

Programs: LeClub Accor Platinum, HH Diamond, Carlson Gold, IHG Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
HH has been the worst of the chains I stay at WRT late checkout for elites. The best I typically get is a 1/2pm checkout for being a HH diamond. Nice, real benefit.

Used to a 4pm checkout as a IHG RA or Hyatt Diamond. Get with the times Hilton...
yup! accor give me 4pm-6pm as a gold le accor member. no issues
Old Feb 17, 16, 5:23 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I don't think I have ever been refused a late check out or given one past 2:00 PM. Lets face it if they gave you the 4:00 PM check out we would be reading another I checked in online and didn't get the room I selected thread.
Old Feb 17, 16, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
In my opinion, the HHonors program has a very unclear late check out policy.
The hhonors program has a very unclear everything policy...breakfast, lounges, upgrades, late check-out, etc. etc. The T&Cs are about 95% weasel words - may, might, could, whatever. Everything is discretionary and YMMV by property, agent, time of day, phase of the moon, so on. That's why the best way to figure out what you're truly going to get is to ask around here on FT and then spend your money at the properties that treat their elites well.
Old Feb 17, 16, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
The hhonors program has a very unclear everything policy...breakfast, lounges, upgrades, late check-out, etc. etc. The T&Cs are about 95% weasel words - may, might, could, whatever. Everything is discretionary and YMMV by property, agent, time of day, phase of the moon, so on. That's why the best way to figure out what you're truly going to get is to ask around here on FT and then spend your money at the properties that treat their elites well.
Unclear is better than No? I find policies that are not set in stone gives properties a chance to demonstrate which are the ones that deserves our business. SPG might say that their Plats gets the best room at check in up to a basic suite. But despite their smaller footprint, we hear enough unhappy Plats who claims properties are running foul of the policy and gets away with it. In short, make do with what is known and be nice to the staff. That usually is a better way.
Old Feb 17, 16, 8:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post

I agree and you have to really fight for 2PM when you are luckily enough to get it. This is the primary reason I made an effort to renew my Hyatt Diamond status after testing out the waters over there. Now if I want to definitely have a later check-out I just automatically book Hyatt even if its going to cost more. I rarely need up to 4 PM, but its nice to be able to get it as it means I can do a 2 to 3 PM checkout. I could certainly understand not extending such a benefit for Golds since they are now a dime a dozen and 4PM does make it more difficult to get the rooms turned around for incoming. However, Diamonds should at least be able get 2 PM without groveling.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:17 am

Unclear is better than No? I find policies that are not set in stone gives properties a chance to demonstrate which are the ones that deserves our business. SPG might say that their Plats gets the best room at check in up to a basic suite. But despite their smaller footprint, we hear enough unhappy Plats who claims properties are running foul of the policy and gets away with it. In short, make do with what is known and be nice to the staff. That usually is a better way.
I think we are more or less on the same page. The Hilton T&Cs are very loose. It bugs some people because there aren't guaranteed benefits. The flip side of that is that you can shop around for the properties that go above and beyond and then reward them with your business. It's a bit more laborious, but I agree with you that when I do my homework and am nice to people I generally get rather positive outcomes. That said, late checkout is one place where I usually come up short - I have never gotten past 1 PM anywhere that I can recall.