Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page > Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Old Oct 21, 10, 7:34 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Jammu Airport to Vaisho Devi and back..24hrs enough ??

Hi Folks,

Me and wife plan to visit Vaishno Devi shrine next month.. We plan to arrive around 11Am in the morning by flight from Delhi and leave around 12.30 PM the next day, so will have little more than 24hrs for the trip from Jammu airport - Katra - Vaishno devi - Katra - Jammu airport..
Wanted to know about the crowds there around mid November ?? Its gonna be a bit hectic and we plan to trek the whole night without any hotel stay ( if needed), but we cannot add more time unfortunately
Are there direct buses to Katra from Jammu airport or do we need to come to Jammu bus station ??

Solicit any advise .

thanks
Abhi
Old Oct 21, 10, 5:21 pm
A Fly book Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by abhilife2001 View Post
Hi Folks,

Me and wife plan to visit Vaishno Devi shrine next month.. We plan to arrive around 11Am in the morning by flight from Delhi and leave around 12.30 PM the next day, so will have little more than 24hrs for the trip from Jammu airport - Katra - Vaishno devi - Katra - Jammu airport..
Wanted to know about the crowds there around mid November ?? Its gonna be a bit hectic and we plan to trek the whole night without any hotel stay ( if needed), but we cannot add more time unfortunately
Are there direct buses to Katra from Jammu airport or do we need to come to Jammu bus station ??

Solicit any advise .

thanks
Abhi
At Jammu's IXJ airport, I've seen direct buses for the yaatris, but that may have been "travel agency" arranged. I've also seen helicopter service advertised there for pilgrims but I've never stuck around long enough to see anyone take it from IXJ.
Old Oct 21, 10, 6:12 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i don't know if 24 hours will be enough but i do know a bunch of people who have done this (perhaps not in 24 hours) & they all arranged their travel with a travel agency before leaving....
Old Oct 22, 10, 12:31 am

I'm also planning to go to Vaishno Devi next month... I'll be taking flight from Chandigarh to Jammu and then hopefully can take a taxi from Jammu airport to Katra helipad. I hope the weather stays good for the helicopter ride from Katra to Vaishno Devi. I will probably be staying overnight at Vasihno Devi and then take the helicopter back next morning. The flight from Chandigarh arrives at 11:30 AM at Jammu... so not sure if I can complete the round trip on the same day.

Any experience / info is appreciated.

Thanks
rd100
Old Oct 22, 10, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by rd100 View Post
I'll be taking flight from Chandigarh to Jammu and then hopefully can take a taxi from Jammu airport to Katra helipad. I hope the weather stays good for the helicopter ride from Katra to Vaishno Devi. I will probably be staying overnight at Vasihno Devi and then take the helicopter back next morning. The flight from Chandigarh arrives at 11:30 AM at Jammu... so not sure if I can complete the round trip on the same day.
I have been there multiple times but all about 4-5 yrs back..and I always made it from Katra to top and back in about 12 hrs BUT have never been there in this season and hence am unaware.. I don't plan to take the helicopter or even the horse, since the IMO, the walking part is interesting and enjoyable.. if on the return, we are short of time, we may plan for the horse or another mode of transport..
Check out https://maavaishnodevi.org/jammu_katra.asp for detailed info..
Old Oct 22, 10, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD
24 hours might be enough but will be very tight. i'd suggest giving yourself a little more time. Also the wait lines may be longer unless u know someone.

Last edited by Bence_Coronation; Oct 22, 10 at 4:32 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 24, 10, 6:23 pm

I suspect it'll be difficult to do within 24 hours unless you know someone to facilitate your trip because the lines at the shrine can be very long, particularly since you won't be arriving until late in the afternoon. I'd advise you plan your trip to stay at Vaishno Devi overnight and then set out for the shrine as early as you can in the morning. Early in the morning when the sun is rising is a very beautiful time of the day to ascend the mountain and you can miss much of the crowds (it can be chaotic in the afternoon).

If you don't use the helicopter service (if the weather is bad, it doesn't operate), palki & horses are available which can shorten the trip up & down (we've used all of these in the past depending on how much time we have; I personally like going by palki the best). You might be able to make a flight back out late that day, but you'll probably be better off taking one the next morning & not worrying about missing your flight. Plus the trip can a lot more tiring than you might anticipate.
Old Oct 25, 10, 2:43 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While Jammu hotels are really nothing special, a good number of people do stay overnight in the city on arrival into IXJ airport and/or after returning to IXJ from the the holy site. A very early start as suggested above is a very good idea if possible for the OP's circumstances.
Old Oct 25, 10, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
While Jammu hotels are really nothing special, a good number of people do stay overnight in the city on arrival into IXJ airport and/or after returning to IXJ from the the holy site. A very early start as suggested above is a very good idea if possible for the OP's circumstances.
Originally Posted by Zaara View Post
I suspect it'll be difficult to do within 24 hours unless you know someone to facilitate your trip because the lines at the shrine can be very long, particularly since you won't be arriving until late in the afternoon. I'd advise you plan your trip to stay at Vaishno Devi overnight and then set out for the shrine as early as you can in the morning. Early in the morning when the sun is rising is a very beautiful time of the day to ascend the mountain and you can miss much of the crowds (it can be chaotic in the afternoon).

If you don't use the helicopter service (if the weather is bad, it doesn't operate), palki & horses are available which can shorten the trip up & down (we've used all of these in the past depending on how much time we have; I personally like going by palki the best). You might be able to make a flight back out late that day, but you'll probably be better off taking one the next morning & not worrying about missing your flight. Plus the trip can a lot more tiring than you might anticipate.
Thanks for all the views..
Seems I need to find some local contacts (which I hopefully can) to fasten the visit at the shrine.. hoping for the best..
Old Oct 25, 10, 3:45 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thanks for all the views..
Seems I need to find some local contacts (which I hopefully can) to fasten the visit at the shrine.. hoping for the best..
most good travel agencies will have local contacts....that may be a good place to start....
Old Oct 25, 10, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by saad View Post
most good travel agencies will have local contacts....that may be a good place to start....
yup.. that and ofcourse trying the usual checking with relatives in DEL who always know a way round
Old Oct 25, 10, 5:08 pm

The best types of contacts to help facilitate are either via someone on or working for the Shrine Board, or via the military if you have a member in the family (due to their limited leave time they get priority access if they come to offer darshan).
Old Oct 26, 10, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Zaara View Post
The best types of contacts to help facilitate are either via someone on or working for the Shrine Board, or via the military if you have a member in the family (due to their limited leave time they get priority access if they come to offer darshan).
yup.. agree..lets see what i can manage .. will update..
Old Oct 26, 10, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
I did this exact trip last year around the exact same time.

As long as it is after Diwali and there is no festival etc it is very much doable.

Couple of things you want to do

1) Instead of taking a bus try to take a taxi from Jammu to Katra (should be not more than a few hundred rupees).

2) Get the slip to cross as soon as you get to Katra .... you want to start your climb latest by 3 PM .... it will take you around 5 hours to get to the top. You can rest when you get to the top.

3) Best time to go for the darshan (incase there is a crowd) is late at night .... give yourself a few hours in the line .

4) Start your descent no later than 3 AM .... will still take you 5 hours to come down. Then give yourself a couple of hours to get to Jammu from Katra ... again take a cab (you can get a round trip cab from the Jammu airport itself)
Old Oct 27, 10, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by cover point View Post
I did this exact trip last year around the exact same time.

As long as it is after Diwali and there is no festival etc it is very much doable.

Couple of things you want to do

1) Instead of taking a bus try to take a taxi from Jammu to Katra (should be not more than a few hundred rupees).

2) Get the slip to cross as soon as you get to Katra .... you want to start your climb latest by 3 PM .... it will take you around 5 hours to get to the top. You can rest when you get to the top.

3) Best time to go for the darshan (incase there is a crowd) is late at night .... give yourself a few hours in the line .

4) Start your descent no later than 3 AM .... will still take you 5 hours to come down. Then give yourself a couple of hours to get to Jammu from Katra ... again take a cab (you can get a round trip cab from the Jammu airport itself)
Thanks a lot for ur views.. we will be taking the taxi from jammu - katra and back.. and yes its 1 week after diwali so hopefully very less crowded..

Search this Thread