Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page > what's the best way to get FROM Amalfi TO Rome?

what's the best way to get FROM Amalfi TO Rome?

Old Jan 5, 11, 10:05 pm

what's the best way to get FROM Amalfi TO Rome?

In mid-April I'm going to be in Rome for 3 days, Sorrento for 3 days and Amalfi for 2 days. Everything I read advises how to get to the Amalfi Coast but not return. Can anyone tell me the best way to get back to Rome from Amalfi? Our schedule can be changed if necessary.
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old Jan 6, 11, 7:04 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by finesoup View Post
In mid-April I'm going to be in Rome for 3 days, Sorrento for 3 days and Amalfi for 2 days. Everything I read advises how to get to the Amalfi Coast but not return. Can anyone tell me the best way to get back to Rome from Amalfi? Our schedule can be changed if necessary.
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Finesoup, Welcome to FT.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but couldn't you just use the same information for the trip to Amalfi and reverse it? The basic options: ferry, bus, car etc.. from Amalfi to Sorrento or Naples, then transfer to train to get you back to Rome.

Unfortunately my personal choice for the "best" options (the Marozzi bus) doesn't operate in April.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jan 6, 11 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 7, 11, 10:32 am

Take a bus (cheap) or boat from Amalfi to Salerno and then the direct train from Salerno to Rome. This is the easiest and fastest.
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA, 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
You don't define "best."

For convenience and comfort, for me the "best" way is with a private car and driver. Pick up at your location and direct transportation to your destination. Even better if more than one person with luggage.

When in Sorrento and to travel the Amalfi Coast with the least amount of stress, we use http://sorrentotopcar.com.

Guiseppe is a wonderful driver, has a great van and his prices are very reasonable. He will also meet cruises in Rome or Naples.
Old Jan 13, 11, 9:23 am

Programs: DL / MR
I've done the trip between Rome and the Amalfi coast multiple times. In my opinion your best option is to rent a car and make the drive (check out Maggiore, definitely one of the cheaper options and a good fleet). You won't be disappointed with the view during the trip and it's only a couple of hours along the A1 & A3. Once you're at the coast I'd leave the car parked and rely on the bus system in the area to get around. You don't really want to be driving along those cliffs and trying to enjoy the views at the same time. Dangerous combo. I'd avoid taking public transportation to get back and forth between Rome and the Amalfi coast but, if you must, take the Eurostar train to Naples and get a bus from there. Again, I'd definitely rent a car instead (more flexibility)....

Buon viaggi...
Old Jan 16, 11, 4:29 pm

Thank you for your responses. I don't know if there are more options (and if it's less costly and quicker) to go from Amalfi to Rome via Salerno or Sorrento. Everything I read shows going from Rome to Amalfi from via Naples and Sorrento. I don't know if that holds true on the return.
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:58 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by finesoup View Post
Thank you for your responses. I don't know if there are more options (and if it's less costly and quicker) to go from Amalfi to Rome via Salerno or Sorrento. Everything I read shows going from Rome to Amalfi from via Naples and Sorrento. I don't know if that holds true on the return.
Actually there's now an airport in Sorrento, QSR, with daily AZ flights to Rome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salerno...Amalfi_Airport

The Costiera Amalfitana is a sort of peninsula laying between Naples and Salerno, and both cities are linked to Rome by the same motorway - well, technically speaking A1+A3 - and the same railway line.

From Amalfi, I'd drive southbound to Salerno, then take the motorway northbound. When there's heavy traffic, it can take hours to drive down the Costiera.
Old Jan 21, 11, 8:31 am

The easiest way other than getting a driver to take you all to Rome is to get a driver to take you to Naples Central Station & then catch the Trenitalia Alta Velocita express train to Rome Temini. We always use http://DriveAmalfi.com

Search this Thread