Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page > What is the Tokyo weather like in September?
Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Tokyo weather like in September?

Search this Thread
Old Aug 3, 13, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

What is the Tokyo weather like in September?

I am traveling to Tokyo during the first week of September. I am assuming from what I have read on the Internet sites that the temperature should be in the low 70s? Should I take an umbrella along?
Old Aug 3, 13, 11:56 pm

not sure where you received the information, but the first--and last--time i traveled to tokyo early september the weather was high 80s/low 90s with high humidity.

i was told it doesn't begin to cool down until late september. i usually visit in october for this reason
Old Aug 4, 13, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
not sure where you received the information, but the first--and last--time i traveled to tokyo early september the weather was high 80s/low 90s with high humidity.

i was told it doesn't begin to cool down until late september. i usually visit in october for this reason
Oh well. That's the only time I could travel in fall. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 4, 13, 2:18 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Cocos Gold
Early September can be pretty hot. Mid 90's is not out of the question.
Old Aug 4, 13, 3:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
It is also at the tail end of the typhoon season, so potential for heavy rains. I second the high humidity and temperature.
Old Aug 4, 13, 7:51 am
mjm
Original Member

Weather forecast for Tokyo in September is very much like the weather forecast Robin Williams gave in "Good Morning Vietnam". And even worse in August.
Old Aug 4, 13, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ray1966 View Post
I am traveling to Tokyo during the first week of September. I am assuming from what I have read on the Internet sites that the temperature should be in the low 70s? Should I take an umbrella along?
I always believe everything I read on the Internet. Low 70s? Maybe Celsius!
Old Aug 4, 13, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Summer in Japan/Tokyo is July-August-September. Figure that you are going to Washington DC in August and that's what September is like in Tokyo.
Old Aug 4, 13, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Smile

Average high temperature of Tokyo during September is 81 F, and average low temperature of Tokyo during September is 70 F. Due to humidity in Japan temperature may feel hotter if you are not used to in humid climate. Also there is temperature difference between night and day. Obviously, beginning of September temperature is higher and end of September temperature is lower.

By the way, average temperature (average between low and high) of Tokyo during September is 75 F. These are measured between 1981-2010 by Japanese weather service.
Old Aug 4, 13, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Well, I guess this means I will be spending a considerable amount of time indoors in department stores and museums during the day and venturing outside in the evening.
Old Aug 4, 13, 1:38 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ray1966 View Post
Well, I guess this means I will be spending a considerable amount of time indoors in department stores and museums during the day and venturing outside in the evening.
Sounds like a plan (pretty much like my plan ). If you're traveling from the United States - you will probably be up very early in the morning. So doing things outside then will probably be ok (assuming you're ok with temps in the high 70's and high humidity in a city - I'm ok with that at home in Florida - but I don't live in a big city).

Here's a list of museums to start on:

http://travel.cnn.com/tokyo/visit/ci...s-best-museums

And don't forget the food basements in the department stores!

Robyn
Old Aug 4, 13, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Hot with a chance of typhooons.
Old Aug 4, 13, 3:50 pm
In memoriam

Good English language website for following typhoons in the Pacific:

http://wunderground.com/tropical/

Robyn
Old Aug 4, 13, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I do not think you have to worry a lot about typhoon. For those of you do not know, if it originates in Atlantic Ocean then it is called hurricane, if it originates in Pacific Ocean then it is called typhoon.

Again, average taken from Japanese national weather center:
Average number of typhoon in month of September: 4.8
Average number of typhoon came close to shore of Japan that weather warning was issued in month September: 1.5
Average number of typhoon which made landfall in Japan in month September: 0.8

Enjoy your stay in Tokyo during September.
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Well, we will see. Everyone recommends visiting Tokyo either in October or April-May, but my scheduled does not allow it. I guess I have to make the best of it. Another site that has some useful information about what to expect in September:

http://weatherspark.com/averages/332...ta-Tokyo-Japan