Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cashing Money Orders at Walmart

Old Mar 7, 16, 10:38 pm - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Wiki Link
  • Must have receipt.
    Can only be cashed at Walmart store where purchased.
    $3 fee.
    Great way to make friends with the assistant manager.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread
Old Mar 7, 16, 9:58 pm

Cashing Money Orders at Walmart

I have noticed that there is plenty of discussion in this forum about buying money orders at walmart but very little discussion about cashing money orders at walmart. The only thread I have been able to find is this one. Walmart will cash a $1000 money order for $3. For me liquidating a $1000 dollars worth of gift cards for 0.37% ($0.70 for the money order plus $3.00 to cash the money order) sounds perfectly reasonable in order to meet a minimum spend. Am I missing something obvious?
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:08 pm

Why would you want to pay $3 to deal in cash? I'd pay to *not* deal in cash.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:10 pm

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
Originally Posted by gruntermen View Post
I have noticed that there is plenty of discussion in this forum about buying money orders at walmart but very little discussion about cashing money orders at walmart. The only thread I have been able to find is this one. Walmart will cash a $1000 money order for $3. For me liquidating a $1000 dollars worth of gift cards for 0.37% ($0.70 for the money order plus $3.00 to cash the money order) sounds perfectly reasonable in order to meet a minimum spend. Am I missing something obvious?
Why are you going thru the extra step (and cost) of cashing a money order?
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:10 pm

It's best if you buy a Gebit at money center, open it, buy a MO, and then cash the MO right there. Saves a lot of time.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
It's best if you buy a Gebit at money center, open it, buy a MO, and then cash the MO right there. Saves a lot of time.
Stop spoiling my location! I finally found a grocery store that lets me buy a GC with an MO and then open the GC and buy an MO. INFINITE SCALABILITY!!!!1!11!!
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
Why would you want to pay $3 to deal in cash? I'd pay to *not* deal in cash.
Originally Posted by skitch23 View Post
Why are you going thru the extra step (and cost) of cashing a money order?
I would prefer not to deal in cash but in reading through the threads on this forum I get the distinct impression that banks tend to be skittish about money order deposits. I don't want to mess up my relationship with my bank.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:19 pm

Gruntermen go deposit $100k cash and report back to us
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski View Post
Perhaps the folks at the money center will even let me borrow their scissors and pen so I can open up the gebit package and fill out the money order in front of them.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:21 pm

I would prefer not to deal in cash but in reading through the threads on this forum I get the distinct impression that banks tend to be skittish about money order deposits. I don't want to mess up my relationship with my bank.
Dollar for dollar, I would posit that cash will be much more likely to lead to AA than MOs.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:22 pm

Perhaps the folks at the money center will even let me borrow their scissors and pen so I can open up the gebit package and fill out the money order in front of them.
Christ man, you need scissors? If you still need scissors your volume couldn't possibly raise any flags.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:29 pm

I am quickly getting the impression that for the amount of volume I am doing (the minimum spend on about two credit cards per month) I don't have to worry too much how I liquidate money orders.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:38 pm

search Bank Secrecy Act.
Old Mar 7, 16, 10:53 pm

I heard while buying MO at WM that no fee to cash WM issued MO.

so one could cash out from another location to avoid fee?
Old Mar 7, 16, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
I heard while buying MO at WM that no fee to cash WM issued MO.

so one could cash out from another location to avoid fee?
I think walmart will only cash a Walmart issued money order and for that they charge a three dollar fee.
Old Mar 7, 16, 11:32 pm

I am quickly getting the impression that for the amount of volume I am doing (the minimum spend on about two credit cards per month) I don't have to worry too much how I liquidate money orders.
Correct