Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page > Regal Movie Theaters and the Metro in urban Washington, DC

Regal Movie Theaters and the Metro in urban Washington, DC

Old Aug 4, 06, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Regal Movie Theaters and the Metro in urban Washington, DC

I will be staying at Crystal City Sheraton next week for a few days. It is one block from the Metro stop.

I am unable to determine which of these Regal movie houses, if any, are reasonably close to the Metro line for taking in a nighttime film:

Regal Ballston Common 12
671 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA

Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14
701 Seventh Street NW
Washington, DC

Regal Potomac Yard 16
3575 Jefferson Davis Highway
Alexandria

There is also a Regal in Bethesda, but that seems far to go.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 06, 8:54 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hackensacknj
I will be staying at Crystal City Sheraton next week for a few days. It is one block from the Metro stop.

I am unable to determine which of these Regal movie houses, if any, are reasonably close to the Metro line for taking in a nighttime film:

Regal Ballston Common 12
671 N. Glebe Road
Arlington, VA

Regal Gallery Place Stadium 14
701 Seventh Street NW
Washington, DC

Regal Potomac Yard 16
3575 Jefferson Davis Highway
Alexandria

There is also a Regal in Bethesda, but that seems far to go.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Regal Potomac Yard is the closest, but it's also the hardest to get to by the Metro train/subway. I'd suggest the Regal Gallary Place since the yellow line from Crystal City should get you reasonably close to it and doesn't require transferring lines (which can be a time killer on weekends or off-peak hours). The Regal theater in Ballston Commons mall is a 3-minute walk (indoors or outdoors) from right above the Ballston metro station but you'll have to change trains to get on the Orange line at Rosslyn. If I knew how the buses worked along Jefferson Davis Hwy, then maybe the Regal Potomac Yard wouldn't be so bad, even if the walk from the road to the theater itself would be a hike by itself (given the size of the parking lot), especially in the heat or with thunderstorms.

Just be aware that you'll want to be done with your movie before the Metro closes. This is far less of an issue on Friday and Saturday night than during most of the week.
Old Aug 4, 06, 9:06 am

Definitely agree Gallery Place. The movie theater is right at the exit to the Metro - there are two exits to the metro - follow the signs to the one that goes toward the Verizon Center [MCI Center if they haven't updated the signs ]. That exit will put you on the corner of 7th and F Street. Don't cross any streets, walk up 7th about 150 feet and turn right and you will be at the movie theater.

Its also a fun area with some great restaurants.

re: metro closing time - I believe its midnight during the week and 1am or 2am on the weekend.
Old Aug 4, 06, 9:59 am

Programs: 2V slumbercoach value club
Pot Yard is close enough that you might want to see if the Sheraton shuttle bus does local runs and considers this to be within its scope.

Otherwise, Gallery Place is an easy shot up the Yellow line and there's enough to do in/around that neighborhood to keep you happy.

Last train (Yellow-Huntington) leaves Gallery Place at 11:57 Sun-Thurs, 2:57 Fri-Sat, per metro website .