Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page > I need to travel from Washington-DC to Charlottesville, VA?

I need to travel from Washington-DC to Charlottesville, VA?

Old Oct 15, 07, 12:06 am
Original Poster

I need to travel from Washington-DC to Charlottesville, VA?

Hi there,

I absolutely need to get to Charlottesville from DC on Oct 16, Tuesday. I don't have a car and I don't know how to drive - so I can't rent a car anyway. I refuse to take Greyhound or Amtrak buses because they're kinda sketchy (I've also heard other terrible stories).

I want to take the Amtrak train which costs around 35 bucks but the tickets are sold out, unless I want to upgrade my seats - they cost an additional 160 bucks! I can fly from IAD to CHO but a one-way ticket is $270. I need something under $100... As there are so many travel experts on this board - and seeing that I have completely exhausted my options - do you guys have suggestions??
Old Oct 15, 07, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tenniscraze View Post
Hi there,

I absolutely need to get to Charlottesville from DC on Oct 16, Tuesday. I don't have a car and I don't know how to drive - so I can't rent a car anyway. I refuse to take Greyhound or Amtrak buses because they're kinda sketchy (I've also heard other terrible stories).

I want to take the Amtrak train which costs around 35 bucks but the tickets are sold out, unless I want to upgrade my seats - they cost an additional 160 bucks! I can fly from IAD to CHO but a one-way ticket is $270. I need something under $100... As there are so many travel experts on this board - and seeing that I have completely exhausted my options - do you guys have suggestions??
Unfortunately for the stipulations you just gave.. there really is no alternative....

airfares as you said are about $271 and up non-stop
amtrak...the additional money is for a roomette/bedroom not just an upgrade fare

the only thing I see IS greyhound for around $22.00 + or - its only three to four hours so I would just chalk it up to better planning next go round
Old Oct 15, 07, 12:56 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
You can take public transportation or a taxi to Manassas and take Amtrak from there; seats are still available.

You could take the train into town a day early and get a cheap hotel.

You can take a http://vanonthego.com/ shuttle for $229-$279 from Dulles or $279-$309 from Reagan.

You can try Priceline and hope for a cheaper flight.

You could adjust your expectations. Travel budget under $100 and you refuse to take the bus because it's kinda sketchy and you've heard stories?! Grow up.

Or you could cancel the trip. The requirements you've laid out leave you at just about the dictionary definition of SOL.
Old Oct 15, 07, 12:58 am

Programs: AAGld 1MM, UA Slv, MRT/SPG Plat, PCAmb
Maybe call SupperShuttle and see if they have any scheduled shared van pickups from Dulles or National? Outside of the Amtrak train and Greyhound Bus, only other option I can think of is taking the Virginia Railway Express to Manassas and then getting a ride from there. But a cab Manassas to Charlottesville will still be $175 or so. The earlier train does not work for you?

On the weekends they have a Homeride service for students to UVA and other area schools - departs to DC Friday afternoon and returns Sunday evening. But not on Tuesday and not sure if you have to be a student to use them.
Old Oct 15, 07, 6:53 am
Fly book Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
tenniscraze,

I do believe your options really leave you with no other choice but to take the bus. Even if they are delayed, it should not be that much of an inconvenience. It is only 3 hours long. Heck, would take you that much time to get to the airport and get checked in....

I would much rather be on my way to my destination instead of sitting at the airport.

If, however, you could travel tonite... there is a train option for $45.
Old Oct 15, 07, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM
You might want to post on the "Rideshare" board on Craigslist. No idea how active or lkely it is, but it's another thought...
Old Oct 15, 07, 8:57 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA 1K/2MM; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HH Gold; HY whatever-ist; Nat'l Executive.
For added suggestions, please follow this in our Travel->Washington, DC forum as the OP's Va. destination is one with which many of our Wash, DC forum regulars are familiar. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Oct 15, 07, 12:06 pm
Fly book Evangelist

take the greyhound. it builds character.

think of being ratso on the way to florida.
Old Oct 17, 07, 11:49 pm

You have two more options....

Have a mate drive you there and back or make whoever is in Charlottesville come visit you instead.

Otherwise, you are up .... creek without a paddle.

Off topic, why not learn to drive, so you can get the license so you can rent a car. There's nothing in the book that says you must own a car because you have a license.

Search this Thread