Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page > Taking Acela into Boston next week - best place to get a car w/ Hertz near there?

Taking Acela into Boston next week - best place to get a car w/ Hertz near there?

Old Sep 23, 09, 7:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Taking Acela into Boston next week - best place to get a car w/ Hertz near there?

Is there a rental car station built into south station in boston? If not, where is the closest place to grab a car. I'd prefer not to go all the way to the airport. But then again, I will need to drop it off at the airport the next day. What do you recommend?
Old Sep 23, 09, 10:28 pm

Getting to Logan from South Station is extremely easy - just go downstairs and catch a Silver Line bus. Since you need to return the car there anyway, this is a no-brainer.
Old Sep 23, 09, 10:30 pm
A Fly book Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Alternately Back Bay often has decent rates (Green Line Arlington station).
Old Sep 23, 09, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
Alternately Back Bay often has decent rates (Green Line Arlington station).
does the back bay station have its own hertz counter?
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Getting to Logan from South Station is extremely easy - just go downstairs and catch a Silver Line bus. Since you need to return the car there anyway, this is a no-brainer.
hmmm that makes sense. However, wouldn't I need to take a silver line bus to the airport terminal to a rental car bus? Seems like a bit of a pain.... Is it?
Old Sep 24, 09, 8:31 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post
does the back bay station have its own hertz counter?
It does not, but you'll notice that hertz.com will allow yout to reserve a car from either the Back Bay or the South Station Amtrak station. If you do this, upon arrival, hop in a cab for the short ride to the Hertz location and they will reimburse you for the cab fare. (You can do this from either station, but it will be quicker from Back Bay, both since the train arrives at Back Bay first and because it's a shorter cab ride.) From hertz.com:

Rental Services Provided By
30 Park Plaza
There is no rental counter at Back Bay/Amtrak Station. Cab fare to the 30 Park Plaza location will be reimbursed up to $10.00 with receipt.

Additional Information
This location is for Amtrak arrivals only. There is no rental counter at South Street/Amtrak Station. Cab fare to the 30 Park Plaza location will be reimbursed up to $10.00 with receipt.
By the way, Boston has its fare share of idiot and unscrupulous cab drivers, so here are directions to Hertz from Back Bay station: When you exit the train, walk towards the rear of the train and exit up the Dartmouth Street escalators. (If you walk towards the front of the train, you exit on Clarendon Street, and I'm not sure if there's a taxi stand there.) You will find taxis right in front of the station on Dartmouth Street. Have them go to the first set of lights and take a right on Stuart Street. Follow Stuart Street through three sets of lights (Clarendon, Berkeley and Arlington). You will then pass through one more very minor set of lights (Church Street), after which you will pass the Motor Mart parking garage on the left. Take a left onto Park Plaice (yes, it's Park Plaice, although that could just be a typo on the street sign!) immediately after you pass the Motor Mart garage (there will be a Legal Sea Food restaurant on the corner). Go one block to the stop sign and take a left. You will see Hertz immediately on the left.

hmmm that makes sense. However, wouldn't I need to take a silver line bus to the airport terminal to a rental car bus? Seems like a bit of a pain.... Is it?
Yes, you would. Moreover, if you rent from the airport, you end up paying all sorts of surcharges that don't apply if you rent in town. That said, it's still worth comparing rates.

Last edited by Blumie; Sep 24, 09 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 24, 09, 1:11 pm

Blumie has it right. It's also a pretty short walk from the Back Bay station to the Hertz station. If you want to stretch your legs exit at Clarendon and then walk up Stuart (or walk over to Newbury/Commonwealth/Marlborough to get a feel for the Back Bay (not if you have a lot of luggage, obviously)).
Old Sep 24, 09, 2:32 pm

Great advice, everyone! I'll rent at Back Bay and walk to the hertz station so I can enjoy a brief stroll in Boston .
Old Sep 24, 09, 9:42 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Great advice, everyone! I'll rent at Back Bay and walk to the hertz station so I can enjoy a brief stroll in Boston .
If you want to grab a bite on the way to Hertz, Mike & Patty's is a great lunch place in the Bay Village neighborhood, just a couple of blocks from Hertz.
Old Sep 25, 09, 9:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
I'm going to hop on to this thread since I have the same question but for National.

We are taking the train up from NYC at South Station and have to pick up the car at the downtown National located at 270 Atlantic Ave. According to Google this is just a .5 mile, 10-minute walk. Is it really walkable or am I going to be better off getting a cab for the quick ride?
Old Sep 25, 09, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110 View Post
I'm going to hop on to this thread since I have the same question but for National.

We are taking the train up from NYC at South Station and have to pick up the car at the downtown National located at 270 Atlantic Ave. According to Google this is just a .5 mile, 10-minute walk. Is it really walkable or am I going to be better off getting a cab for the quick ride?
It's a very easy walk on Atlantic Ave. You pass by the Intercontinental, Rowes Wharf, etc. Depending on the time of day walking might indeed be faster than a cab ride.
Old Sep 25, 09, 10:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
It's a very easy walk on Atlantic Ave. You pass by the Intercontinental, Rowes Wharf, etc. Depending on the time of day walking might indeed be faster than a cab ride.
Perfect; thanks very much.
Old Sep 30, 09, 1:10 pm
Fly book Evangelist

The only thing I'll disagree is the last sentence. Since the Big Dig was completed years ago, I don't think I have once seen a traffic jam so bad that walking would have been faster than driving. Even in the middle of rush hour, this is a 5-minute drive, compared to a 10- to 15-minute walk.

(Edited to add: I will caveat my post above. Two winters ago we had a snowstorm that paralyzed traffic. On that day, although it would have been an absolutely miserable walk in a severe storm, walking would have been faster than driving! )
Old Sep 30, 09, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
The only thing I'll disagree is the last sentence. Since the Big Dig was completed years ago, I don't think I have once seen a traffic jam so bad that walking would have been faster than driving. Even in the middle of rush hour, this is a 5-minute drive, compared to a 10- to 15-minute walk.

(Edited to add: I will caveat my post above. Two winters ago we had a snowstorm that paralyzed traffic. On that day, although it would have been an absolutely miserable walk in a severe storm, walking would have been faster than driving! )
Just two weeks ago I sat in Atlantic Ave traffic for 30 minutes going from South Station to Aquarium.
Old Sep 30, 09, 1:33 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Just two weeks ago I sat in Atlantic Ave traffic for 30 minutes going from South Station to Aquarium.
Bummer! I take it back.
Old Sep 30, 09, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Bummer! I take it back.
No, I don't think that's necessary. I would say at most times of the day and week you would be right, driving is faster. I'm just pointing out that if you get here at an unfortunate time, say Friday around 4 or 5pm, for instance, Atlantic Ave can be at a standstill.

Search this Thread