Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Megabus vs Boltbus

Search this Thread
Old Apr 19, 11, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Megabus vs Boltbus

Want to take a day trip to Philly. Amtrak is too expensive and NJT is too slow with the transfer in Trenton

Any ideas which might be better, Mega or Bolt? Seems its $12 on Mega one way and $13 on Bolt so far.

TIA
Old Apr 19, 11, 12:39 pm
A Fly book Posting Legend

Basically the same. Pick based on fare and timing and you'll get more or less the same service either way.

If you sign up for the Bolt Bus rewards program you get an "A" boarding number every time; there is some value in that.
Old Apr 19, 11, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Paradox of choice. Both are great ($12 to Philadelphia when it was $15 to get to EWR airport from Manhattan). Mega has double decker (mostly) and Bolt doesn't. I think the only difference besides boarding/dropoff location.
Old Apr 19, 11, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I found Boltbus a little better than Megabus for local trips (PHL and WAS). I thought Bolt was more professional and having seen a couple of crazy drivers on my Megabus trips (as well as couple of passengers cussing a driver out for getting lost on the road), I think I will choose Boltbus from now on.
Old Apr 21, 11, 10:25 am

Programs: aa plat 1.5mm
Been on both to Phila. Slightly prefer Bolt Bus to Mega but it really makes no differerence to me. Price was the determining factor on the trips.
Old Apr 21, 11, 12:16 pm

The main difference ime is that Bolt has power sockets while Mega doesn't (or doesn't always) so if you're using a laptop you'll have a battery for the whole trip. Otherwise they're both great.
Old Apr 30, 11, 10:12 am
Fly book Evangelist

I took Mega Bus to DC last night from NYC. The buses were late because of an accident in the Lincoln Tunnel. Things were fairly disorganized but when the buses finally arrived the staff got people on very quick and got all 9PMs on the 815PM bus.

There are not enough power outlets and some do not seem to work. If you are traveling at night the overhead lights give next to nothing in lighting. So forget about your laptop/Ipad or even reading, particularly if the bus is jammed. The DC stop is now about a five minute walk from Union Station but that is temporary.
Old Apr 30, 11, 2:15 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AA/WN/B6 mainly. UA/CO elite 1998-2014, but nevermore by choice.
I like the Megabus double-deckers, but on NYC-PHL you have a chance to get stuck with a conventional single-decker bus which is not so nice.
Old May 1, 11, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
thnx all. I ended up taking Mega hoping for a double decker for fun with my son. Ended up with a almost double decker which was painted white and did not say Mega. I think it said Coach USA? Paid 13 for one person I think. The bus was OK but nothing special. I prefer the train if at all possible, even if I have to transfer. But the bus certainly worked.
Old May 2, 11, 1:11 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AS, HH, MR elite. Fly AA/WN/B6 mainly. UA/CO elite 1998-2014, but nevermore by choice.
Originally Posted by closetasfan View Post
I prefer the train if at all possible, even if I have to transfer. But the bus certainly worked.
Me too but sometimes the train is ten times the bus fare, so, no-brainer.
Old May 8, 11, 3:05 pm

Programs: US Silver,Awesomeness Gold
Really pissed at megabus right now as going northbound to Boston on Wednesday my bus was 90 minutes late and the employees reply to our asking how long it's going to be delay was "I don't know where the bus is". We stood in the parking lot in the pouring rain since we didn't have any time frame to come back to awful job by mega..
Cheers
Howie
Old May 12, 11, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
I've taken both plenty of times and prefer's mega's busses, but bolt's service/timing. I generally pick whichever's schedule and pricing best suits me.
Old May 17, 11, 11:34 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by stockmanjr View Post
Really pissed at megabus right now as going northbound to Boston on Wednesday my bus was 90 minutes late and the employees reply to our asking how long it's going to be delay was "I don't know where the bus is". We stood in the parking lot in the pouring rain since we didn't have any time frame to come back to awful job by mega..
Cheers
Howie
Does Greyhound still serve NYC-PHL? I'd much rather wait inside Port Authority than chance the weather on a street corner. I didn't realize Megabus did the Chinatown-style pick up on the street corner until I randomly walked by the operation one day. Judging from the website, it looks like the same story with Bolt Bus. Otherwise I'm sure they are both great options, but for a 2 hour ride to Philly, I wouldn't be so concerned about Wifi and power outlets.
Old May 18, 11, 4:59 am
nrr

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA
I've used Megabus many times from nyc to was. I've found that getting $1 fares is easier on Megabus; while I've not ridden on Bolt, I've done fare searches on the website--only once did I see a $1 fare. I seem to recollect, from markings on the side of a Bolbus, that they are owned by Greyhound.
Old May 18, 11, 3:16 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I've used Megabus many times from nyc to was. I've found that getting $1 fares is easier on Megabus; while I've not ridden on Bolt, I've done fare searches on the website--only once did I see a $1 fare. I seem to recollect, from markings on the side of a Bolbus, that they are owned by Greyhound.
Yes they are but their seats are more comfortable than what you get in Y on an airline.