Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page > Timing of New York Penn Station to EWR

Timing of New York Penn Station to EWR

Old Oct 14, 12, 7:22 am

Timing of New York Penn Station to EWR

Tried to search, but didn't come up with an obvious answer, so...

If you were flying out of EWR at 4 PM on a Saturday for a domestic flight, how early would you want to be at Penn Station in order to get to EWR and not be stressed about making your flight?

I have no idea the time between Penn Station and EWR (though I know the trains run frequently). I haven't been through EWR security in ages, so I have no idea what the current situation is. We won't be checking bags.
Old Oct 14, 12, 7:25 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Gold; Hertz President's Circle
The train takes 26 minutes. I usually depart from Penn Station about two hours before my flight, and I arrive at the check-in counter about 1 hour, 20 minutes before departure. If you have PremierAccess, you should be fine .if not, leave a little earlier. Make sure you get off at the airport station and not Newark Penn Station.
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:14 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

I agree with the 2 hour guideline. The one caveat to this is that there are occasions where the time between trains which stop at EWR can be 40+ minutes. That can mess you up pretty good. On a weekday the options for a 4pm departure that I'd consider are 1:43p, 2:07p and 2:30p. I'd go with 2:07 if at all possible. If not checking bags and willing to deal with being the last person on the plane the 2:30 could work. Might be stressful, but it could work. If checking bags I'd aim for the 1:43.
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:21 am

Programs: VS Gold, BA Gold, B6, VX, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
I'm glad this thread came up, as I have an international to domestic connection at EWR in December. It's almost a 5 hour layover, and I was wondering if I had enough time to pop into the city to do some last minute shopping! I have global entry and always do carry-on, so assuming my arriving flight is on time, it sounds like I have a shot at this.

Is the Penn Station train service reliable?
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:25 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Yes, the service is generally reliable. You'll probably have 90 minutes max in the NYPenn area with a 5 hour connection. Should be enough time to get to Macy's and back. Good luck!
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:26 am

The question to me is what is the next option? If I'm flying the last non stop of the day, Ill try to go early. If I'm flying EWR-ORD I don't care if I miss the flight.
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, Delta Gold
How much does the train ticket cost from Penn NY to EWR?
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by tashi View Post
IIRC $16
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
I am told (by a regular commuter between the City and EWR) that if you want to speed up the process, you should take a cab from the airport to Newark Penn Station. The SkyTrain to the station is painfully slow and you can then wait 20 minutes at the station for a train.
Old Oct 14, 12, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I agree with the 2 hour guideline. The one caveat to this is that there are occasions where the time between trains which stop at EWR can be 40+ minutes. That can mess you up pretty good. On a weekday the options for a 4pm departure that I'd consider are 1:43p, 2:07p and 2:30p. I'd go with 2:07 if at all possible. If not checking bags and willing to deal with being the last person on the plane the 2:30 could work. Might be stressful, but it could work. If checking bags I'd aim for the 1:43.
The easiest thing to do at NY Penn Station is to buy a train ticket at a kiosk, but if you're running late, jump on a train and buy a ticket from the conductor, and then an airtrain ticket at the dispenser at the Newark Liberty Air Train station. You'll end up spending about $5 more, but better than waiting for a later train.
Old Oct 14, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
I'm glad this thread came up, as I have an international to domestic connection at EWR in December. It's almost a 5 hour layover, and I was wondering if I had enough time to pop into the city to do some last minute shopping! I have global entry and always do carry-on, so assuming my arriving flight is on time, it sounds like I have a shot at this.

Is the Penn Station train service reliable?
Yes. Very reliable. You should be out of Immigration within 20-30 minutes of exiting the plane. Then figure anywhere from 35-60 minutes to the city with the airtrain ride, waiting for a train, and the 22 minute train ride. So now, check the schedules and figure out what train you want to make going back. For domestic and carry-on, you should find a train that arrives back at the Newark Liberty Train station at least 60-70 minutes before your flight. You'll probably have about an hour and a half in NYC. You can go to Macy's which is a block from Penn Station, but if it was me and it isn't raining, I would leave Penn Station by the 8th Avenue exits and walk west 2 long blocks on 30th Street (10 minutes) to the north end of the High Line. Then judging your time, walk south on the High Line as far as you're able to within your time limit and walk back. The highline runs about 1 mile, so you should have time to walk the full length and back, and perhaps grab a snack somewhere at the south end.
Old Oct 14, 12, 9:13 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
While the trains are reliable, those who're not familiar with New York Penn should get (back) to the station early to find their trains. To many, it's confusing coming into the station either by subway or from street level, as it's three stations in one - AMTRAK, LIRR and NJTransit - each with its own areas and tracks.

Second, check out what trains you're getting on in advance. For example, for the OP, the 1:43p is a Coast Line train towards Long Branch; while the 2:07p and 2:30p are Northeast Corridor trains towards Jersey Ave and Trenton respectively. It's not like coming from airport to NYP where you can just hop the very first NJTransit train going in the direction of New York.

Those considering doing this should look up schedules and fares on njtransit.com.
Old Oct 14, 12, 10:05 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Umm, sbm12 and rkkwan - the OP is leaving on a Saturday.

OP - none of the times above are reflective of a Saturday train.

They are:

1:07 pm
1:14 pm
1:55 pm
2:07 pm
2:14 pm
Old Oct 14, 12, 10:16 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The fare was reduced back to $11.50 each way a few years back. I was there last week and that is what I paid. This is cheaper then taking the express bus.
Old Oct 14, 12, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tashi View Post
$12.50 per person each way. For train schedule, you can go to http://njtransit.com and use their trip planner. As someone pointed out, the frequency/time of the trains on weekends vary from weekdays; good train availability for late evening/night flights at EWR however not great for those very early morning flights.

Search this Thread