Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page > Using Priority pass in JFK Terminal 8

Using Priority pass in JFK Terminal 8

Old Nov 23, 16, 1:17 pm

Using Priority pass in JFK Terminal 8

I have an AA flight from terminal 8 JFK booked in economy. I see that the priority pass lounges at JFK are all airside in Terminal 1 and 4. Is there a way to access a PP lounge even though my flight is from T8?
Old Nov 24, 16, 6:45 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Welcome to FT!

You are correct that the only lounges at Terminal 8 are AA-operated Admirals Club lounges. If you do not have a paid membership and are not traveling with status or in a premum cabin "internationally," then you will be out of luck in T8. Currently, the Admirals Clubs do not sell Day Passes because of ongoing renovations.

You also are correct that there are Priority Pass lounges in other terminals. However, they are behind the security checkpoints in those terminals. Technically, you are supposed to have a boarding pass issued by an airline operating from that terminal in order to clear TSA security and access the lounges. If you go over there and show your Priority Pass card and boarding pass for the AA flight, along with govt-issued photo ID, the third-party contractor line monitors and TSA document checkers *MIGHT* allow you to clear security to access the lounges. Be ready to explain the situation clearly, and ask very nicely for them to make an exception. Don't count on your request being granted. I don't recommend attempting it unless you have a very long layover (several hours at least) because even if you are successful in being allowed through security at the other terminal, you then would need to allow extra time to take the AirTrain back to Terminal 8 and re-clear security there.

My two cents: don't bother. Fill up your iPad with some good movies and camp out in a quiet corner of Terminal 8. Or go to a restaurant.
Old Nov 26, 16, 10:14 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Technically, you are supposed to have a boarding pass issued by an airline operating from that terminal in order to clear TSA security and access the lounges.
I do not believe this is the case. If you look at the TSA website, all it says is that you must have a same-day boarding pass. It says nothing about a boarding pass for an airline that operates from that specific terminal, and the vast majority of the reports I've seen have indicated that passengers have been allowed access to other terminals. (In one recent report, the passenger indicated that he was turned away from one terminal, even after explaining that he was going to the lounge, but was allowed access to another terminal, even though he was not traveling from that terminal.) I agree that it's probably not worth the effort, but if the OP wants to give it a try, I'd just go to the TSA checkpoint and present my boarding pass and ID just like any other passenger. Only if questioned would I then present my PriorityPass card and explain that I'm going to the lounge.
Old Nov 29, 16, 8:14 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
I do not believe this is the case. If you look at the TSA website, all it says is that you must have a same-day boarding pass. It says nothing about a boarding pass for an airline that operates from that specific terminal, and the vast majority of the reports I've seen have indicated that passengers have been allowed access to other terminals. (In one recent report, the passenger indicated that he was turned away from one terminal, even after explaining that he was going to the lounge, but was allowed access to another terminal, even though he was not traveling from that terminal.) I agree that it's probably not worth the effort, but if the OP wants to give it a try, I'd just go to the TSA checkpoint and present my boarding pass and ID just like any other passenger. Only if questioned would I then present my PriorityPass card and explain that I'm going to the lounge.

I believe the issue is less the TSA and more the contract agents (working on behalf of the airlines) who monitor the lines before one reaches the TDC podium. The contract agents always check boarding passes and sometimes carry-on size as well. They would want to redirect him to the AirTrain and over to T8. I think the OP almost certainly will have to explain to them why he wants to clear T4 security with a T8 boarding pass.
Old Nov 29, 16, 8:33 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
I believe the issue is less the TSA and more the contract agents (working on behalf of the airlines) who monitor the lines before one reaches the TDC podium. The contract agents always check boarding passes and sometimes carry-on size as well. They would want to redirect him to the AirTrain and over to T8. I think the OP almost certainly will have to explain to them why he wants to clear T4 security with a T8 boarding pass.
That may be the case, but what you wrote was that "[t]echnically, you are supposed to have a boarding pass issued by an airline operating from that terminal in order to clear TSA security and access the lounges." I am pretty certain what you wrote is wrong.
Old Feb 17, 17, 4:57 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
FWIW, I just called the Wingtips lounge in T4 and inquired if I and my guests are likely to be able to visit next week.

The rep I spoke with was friendly, but said that it basically was (not her words) a crapshoot and up to the whims of the TSA as to whether we could get past the checkpoint, even with a same-day boarding pass ex-T7. I asked if TSA had any hard and fast rules about whether the boarding pass had to be from an airline in that terminal, and she said that it pretty much depended on the agent you get.

So: \_(ツ)_/

I wish TSA had a clear publicly-visible policy on this kind of thing, but I wish I had a pony too. The other recent thread I found on the topic was similarly inconclusive.
Old Feb 20, 17, 3:05 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Unless I had a 3+ hour layover (and even then...) there's no way I'd want to terminal-hop at JFK just to use a contract lounge.
Old Feb 25, 17, 12:05 pm

Programs: Double Unobtainium, Grace L. Ferguson Airline & Storm Door Co.
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Unless I had a 3+ hour layover (and even then...) there's no way I'd want to terminal-hop at JFK just to use a contract lounge.
yeah, my parents are coming into T4 seven hours before we all leave from T7.

Search this Thread