Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page > NY Penn Station to Grand Central?

NY Penn Station to Grand Central?

Old Nov 25, 06, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Lifetime Platinum
NY Penn Station to Grand Central?

There've been plenty of threads asking about EWR to Manhattan, so I've got the EWR to Penn station part pretty much figured out. What I can't seem to find is how to go from Penn Station to Grand Central Station.

I'm staying at the W-The Court... would it be best to just walk from Penn Station to the W? There doesn't seem to be any direct subway line that runs from Penn Station to Grand Central...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 25, 06, 10:30 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
From Penn Station, you can take the 2/3 to 42nd St (Times Square) and transfer to the shuttle or 7 train & take that to Grand Central.

If you're looking to get from EWR to W, the Court, you can also take a bus to Port Authority (42nd & 8th) and take the Shuttle crosstown to Grand Central. I believe that there are also some buses which go directly to the east side. Whether the bus is a good option or not depends on the time of day and traffic.
Old Nov 25, 06, 11:28 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
The bus or subway is $2. A taxi from Penn to the Court would be about $5 or $6. Unless you are on an extreme budget I don't think the public transport hassle is worth it for this short trip.
Old Nov 25, 06, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's a bit of a hassle to make that transfer at Times Square, the lines are not right next to each other, and there may be some walking. If you have bags I wouldn't do it, and if it's rush hour I wouldn't do it.

If you are taking the bus from EWR, consider taking it to Grand Central instead.

It's doable as a walk, but it's a bit of a stroll. Cab is probably the easiest.

Hopstop.com by the way is a great way to plan transportation in New York, they have added a taxi estimated cost to their routings to help you decide.
Old Nov 25, 06, 7:52 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 4MM; AGR Select+
I'm guessing that the OP plans to take the train to Penn Station. Taking a cab to your hotel really is the best option, as any option involving public transportation will involve a fair bit of walking. If you do want to take public transportation, I agree that the 2 or 3 train to 42nd Street with a transfer to the Shuttle to Grand Central is your best bet.
Old Nov 25, 06, 10:15 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
don't forget the q32 - doesn't it go from penn up Madison past grand central?

I would absolutely NOT do the (subway) recommendations that the others have suggested - sorry guys/gals Just not worth it.

The Court is on the corner of Lexington... you could also do the M16/34 across 34th to Lex and then walk up the 4 blocks, easy peasy. BTW, the diner across the street from The Court is very tasty! And if you go to 43rd and 2nd, goodburger ROCKS!

That is my advice
Old Nov 26, 06, 10:05 am
Fly book Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Gold; OMNIPat;
If you are going directly from EWR to Grand Central, then I'd suggest skipping the train and Penn Station altogether, and taking the bus instead. It's $14 ($23 RT) and drops you right at 41st and Lex, just 2 blocks from your hotel.
Old Nov 26, 06, 10:16 am

Subway vs. Bus: depends on the time of day and day of week. If you hit traffic, that bus ride could be over an hour.
Old Nov 26, 06, 11:09 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by allen074
I would absolutely NOT do the (subway) recommendations that the others have suggested - sorry guys/gals Just not worth it.
I would agree with this. Especially if you have luggage. There is a lot of walking at Penn Station and at Times Square with random small 5-10 step staircases. You also have to get to street level from the subway at Grand Central and broken escalators are not that uncommon.
Old Nov 26, 06, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thanks guys!

I'm arriving Friday during the afternoon rush hour (get to EWR around 5pm), so I was hoping to avoid the bus. As for luggage, a carry-on sized bag, along with my laptop bag. I guess the bus is the best/easiest option.

Last edited by Jebby_ca; Nov 27, 06 at 12:03 am
Old Nov 26, 06, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Thanks guys!

I'm arriving Friday during the afternoon rush hour (get to EWR around 5pm), so I was hoping to avoid the bus. But i guess that's the best/easiest option.
Take the train... or have a drink first. They reverse the tunnels for outbound rush-hour traffic. It is unlikely that a 5:30 bus leaving EWR will get to the east side before 7:30. 8 or 8:30 is a distinct possibility.
Old Nov 26, 06, 10:02 pm

Don't forget to check the wiki:

http://flybook.biz/wiki/index....sportation_FAQ

The bus will be simplest, but may be maddeningly slow. If you're traveling light, taking the subway between Penn Station and GCT isn't THAT bad. Try to board the 1, 2 or 3 train at the front of the train. When you get off you just go up one set of stairs right at the front of the train and you're a couple dozen yards from the Shuttle to GCT. The Shuttle runs very frequently during rush hour. The station will likely be very crowded, however, so if you aren't traveling light, it's probably worth just kicking back with a good book on the bus from EWR to GCT (it's the same bus as the Port Authority bus--it just stops at Port Authority first and continues along 42nd St).
Old Nov 27, 06, 8:42 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by allen074
don't forget the q32 - doesn't it go from penn up Madison past grand central?
Both the Q32 and the M4 begin their routes on West 32nd Street, between 6th and 7th avenues, just across the street from the 7th Avenue entrance to Penn Station. Both buses travel east on 32nd Street, and then north on Madison Avenue. The OP can take either bus to Madison and 38th, 39th or 40th (wherever the bus stop happens to be), and walk a block and a half east on 39th Street to the W Court. Travel time on the bus should be between ten and fifteen minutes. (Just make sure that you're not on an M4 Limited which will not stop between 34th and 42nd/43rd streets.)
Old Nov 27, 06, 11:43 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Thanks guys!

I'm arriving Friday during the afternoon rush hour (get to EWR around 5pm), so I was hoping to avoid the bus. As for luggage, a carry-on sized bag, along with my laptop bag. I guess the bus is the best/easiest option.
How big is your carryon? If you are landing at 5PM at EWR I would take the train into Penn Station as the bus will most likely be very slow and not scenic at all. Once you are in Penn Station you can try for a cab which will be also slow but for a short ride not too bad. If your bags are small the subway is doable but if it were me I would probably just walk

Search this Thread