smoking at DTW

Old May 11, 04, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
smoking at DTW

Is there any public smoking rooms at DTW. If not whats the best way to get a smoke. Go out through the Westin?
Old May 11, 04, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
Thumbs down Smoking in the Main World Club

There is (1) one smoking designated room in the main world club at DTW.

The room is loaded with smokers (a lot of Asian Flights have a high number of smokers) during peak travel hours and the room reaks of Blue Smoke!

Yuck!

RC
Old May 11, 04, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus
smoking at DTW

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
There is (1) one smoking designated room in the main world club at DTW.

The room is loaded with smokers (a lot of Asian Flights have a high number of smokers) during peak travel hours and the room reaks of Blue Smoke!

Yuck!

RC
They also recently opened up the Fox Sports Cafe near the main security entrance on level 2 that also has smoking. But you will need to be a buying customer to sit in there. Beats trying to deal with security.
Old May 11, 04, 5:48 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pfase_1
They also recently opened up the Fox Sports Cafe near the main security entrance on level 2 that also has smoking. But you will need to be a buying customer to sit in there. Beats trying to deal with security.
but the menu is very limited and it's very very heavy with smoke too
Old May 11, 04, 7:17 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Westin

I always go out & back in through the Westin. It's nice to get out doors & enjoy a cigarette in fresh air (yeah, oxymoron, I know) - but after you've been sitting in a tube for a while or connecting from one airport to another, it's good to get some natural light & feel the breeze. The security line at the Westin is always empty (never more than 1 person in line) and they don't make you take off your shoes at that line. I recommend the Westin - besides, it's got a cool interior.
Old May 11, 04, 7:32 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
It would be very nice if the folks making policy decisions at large U.S. airports would realize that whatever error rate is involved in security screenings could be mitigated by not insisting that smokers constantly leave the secure areas, only to come back through security. (More screenings x error rate = more failure opportunities.) Refusing to offer accommodations for customers who smoke is creating longer lines for everyone. (Accommodations certainly COULD be done in a way that would not impact on non-smokers, but I suppose dealing with something like in a practical way is just not politically correct any longer.)
Old May 11, 04, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Standby4321
It would be very nice if the folks making policy decisions at large U.S. airports would realize that whatever error rate is involved in security screenings could be mitigated by not insisting that smokers constantly leave the secure areas, only to come back through security. (More screenings x error rate = more failure opportunities.) Refusing to offer accommodations for customers who smoke is creating longer lines for everyone. (Accommodations certainly COULD be done in a way that would not impact on non-smokers, but I suppose dealing with something like in a practical way is just not politically correct any longer.)
Or you smokers could just go 7 or 8 damn hours without lighting up. I'd personnally prefer a 5 mile smoke-free buffer around every airport. There is nothing worse than walking past a bar with smoke billowing out of it, or a smoking room with smoke billowing out of it, or trying to leave baggage claim or wait for a pick up with a line of rude folks there that think that just because they're outside their smoking isn't going to bother anyone. Do you really think that everytime I walk out of a public building I want to run an obtacle course of smelly, stained smokers while inhaling your vile output?

Why don't you put that in your pipe & smoke it!?

edited to add:
I actually stopped flying AirTran in & out of Philadelphia because their bank of gates was right next to a bar that was always filled with smokers. You coudn't sit and wait for your AirTran flight without smelling the reak of smokers. I understand that Philly, thankfully, has now gone (or will soon be going) 100% smoke free.

Last edited by MCOisHOME2ME; May 11, 04 at 8:35 pm
Old May 11, 04, 8:50 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
[QUOTE=MCOisHOME2ME]Or you smokers could just go 7 or 8 damn hours without lighting up. I'd personnally prefer a 5 mile smoke-free buffer around every airport. There is nothing worse than walking past a bar with smoke billowing out of it, or a smoking room with smoke billowing out of it, or trying to leave baggage claim or wait for a pick up with a line of rude folks there that think that just because they're outside their smoking isn't going to bother anyone. Do you really think that everytime I walk out of a public building I want to run an obtacle course of smelly, stained smokers while inhaling your vile output?

A typical REASONABLE response that keeps things the way they are! The unhealthy, unpleasant conditions that you are describing are partly a RESULT of refusing to deal with things in a PRACTICAL way and you can throw some rude smokers into that mix, too. But insisting that everyone do it YOUR way or acting like YOUR preference for a "5-mile smoke-free buffer" is anything but ridiculous is asking for far more than you need to protect your health and comfort. It instead extends into a desire to control other people's behavior -- whether it actually impacts on you or not.

Last edited by Standby4321; May 11, 04 at 8:51 pm Reason: To separate the quote from the response
Old May 11, 04, 9:56 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Agreed, Standby4321!

I may be confusing it with another Airport, but I'm pretty sure that it's DCA that has outdoor smoking areas within the security area. It's an outdoor cage like area where people can smoke outdoors. This is a good idea.

Last edited by bhatnasx; May 11, 04 at 10:13 pm
Old May 11, 04, 9:57 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Smokers!
Old May 11, 04, 10:11 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL SKyMiles Million Miler, AS, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
As someone who is an ardent nonsmoker doing volunteer work writing smokefree legislation (last night was my fourth victory in a row against Phillip Morris and friends--YAY!), I am reading this thread with more than passing interest.

First, there is no need for vitriolic comments by anyone. While I understand the emotion behind them, a five-mile smokefree zone around an airport is an inflammatory suggestion. Let's get real.

Similarly, there is no reason or excuse for allowing smoking within enclosed workplace areas, including airports (I think I could fill a book with feedback I've had from DL employees at CVG tired of the smoky environment there). Simply stated, there is no viable way to separate "smoking" and "nonsmoking" any more than you can have a chlorine free area of a swimming pool. In fact, the HVAC experts -- mind you, these are the people who sell "smoke removing" equipment -- even concede that in order for it to really work it would have to create an air exchange to the extent of a small tornado within a room.

I am sympathetic to the concerns of people frustrated by smokers congregating around doorways. Some of the new legislation we've seen prohibits smoking within 100 feet of the places of ingress and egress to address that issue.

While there is no legally cognizable right to smoke in public places, by the same token nonsmokers would do well to keep anger focused on Phillip Morris and friends, not individuals who have become addicted to the habit unless they specifically engage in inappropriate behavior.

Surprisingly, some of the strongest support for smokefree environments comes from smokers.
Old May 11, 04, 10:12 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Just for the sake of everyone's knowledge - here a link regarding airline smoking policies:

http://hem.passagen.se/fungus/airlines.html
Old May 11, 04, 10:14 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Wow, it took almost 5 hours this time before someone's simple and reasonable smoking related question was met with criticism.
Old May 12, 04, 8:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Avis Rock Star
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Agreed, Standby4321!

I may be confusing it with another Airport, but I'm pretty sure that it's DCA that has outdoor smoking areas within the security area. It's an outdoor cage like area where people can smoke outdoors. This is a good idea.

To the best of my knowledge (as of today and 3-4x/week for years) DCA has NO smoking areas past security. IAD (Dulles) does, however.
Old May 12, 04, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Terminal 6 (CO) at LAX has an outdoor area right across from the P-Club. There may also be one at T3 (AS), but the memory is hazy.