What are best seats on new CRJ900?

Old Jul 21, 07, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
What are best seats on new CRJ900?

Since SeatGuru.com is not yet listing recommendations for the CRJ900, I'm curious if anyone has come up with their own version of green, red, yellow and white seats. I'm booked on a DTW-DSM CRJ900 flight later in the year and will be choosing seats soon. While I can hope for an upgrade to the small First cabin, I would like to choose one of the best coach seats (probably best legroom). I assume the NW seat chart shows "P" seats. Which are they? Is bulkhead (which has been discussed) a bad or good seat? Are exit rows good and, if so, which are best and do any have limited recline?
Old Jul 22, 07, 12:13 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Well, here's an attempt to answer some of your questions. Unfortunately, the aircraft is too new, and very few (including me) have had enough actual BIS time to make some subjective conclusions as to what is "best".

But here are the "facts", for what they're worth:

Coach Cabin is rows 5-20, Seats AB and CD on either side.

5AB are bulkhead, and designated Disability Seating.
5CD are bulkhead, and open to anyone at anytime
6ABCD and 7AD are Select Seating for Elites and Full Fare Pax.
7BC are Coach Choice.
8ABCD are designated Disability Seating.
9AB are Coach Choice.
12ABCD and 13ABCD are exit row seats. Of these, 13AB are held for Coach Choice, the rest are available to Elites at any time. One might assume that Row 12 has limited or no recline
19CD and 20ABCD are blocked, and held for assignment at the Gate. These are for Unaccompanied Minors, and for seating families together when they could not get seats together on their own.

Everything else is open to anyone, at anytime,

So, the totals for the CRJ900 are....

6 seats held for disabled passengers
12 seats for Elites (Select Seating) including 6 exit row seats
6 seats for Coach Choice, including 2 exit row seats
6 seats held for assignment at the gate only
34 seats open to anyone at anytime

Grand total: 64

Hope this helps a little.
Old Jul 22, 07, 12:35 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
F cabin: The A seats (1A-4A) are singles, no one on either side of you. The windows don't exactly line up with the seats in F, all I can tell you is that row 1 does not have great window views.

Y: Bulkheads 5C/5D are probably the best. There isn't much room to reorient the carts between F & Y, & 5B appears to be in the way (just guessing, I've sat in 5C, not 5B). On the left side only 5A has underseat storage ahead of it, I observed the 5B pax stashing his stuff there, lots of legroom in row 5 so maybe 5A pax didn't care.

In the exit row area, there are two exit rows but three rows extra extra legroom, seat pitches there range from (my recollection) 35-42".

The seats on these CRJ-900's provide terrible lower back support. Bring something for lumbar support or grab a blanket on your way in. We need to keep harping on this so it is addressed in future deliveries -- remember there are another 34 or so of these planes on order. In my not-particulary-humble opinion, these seats collectively (both F & Y) are the most uncomfortable in the NW fleet.
Old Jul 22, 07, 6:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA 1K, HERTZ Presidents Circle
What is the overhead space on these, do we have to gate check large roller bags. Just wondering the additional delays this will cause if that is the case on a much larger airplane than a crj200. Sometimes you wait 20 mins for your bags now. If you get double the bags then I see missing a few flights.
Old Jul 22, 07, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL: Plat; Marriott Gold; HHonors Gold
Here's a link to NWA's seat map.
Old Jul 23, 07, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I just finished my first trip on one of these (MSP->DFW). Was assigned seat 13D (Exit row) and sat down there. The legroom was excellent, but the seat itself was incredibly uncomfortable (Granted, not as bad as a CRJ200) the headrest was a nice touch though.

Just before boarding was done, the gate agent asked me if I wanted to move to F, and I got 4C up there. Much more comfortable seat (though less leg room than my exit row seat), but not as comfortable as the other F seats in the NWA fleet. The recline function was nice, pushing the cushion forward, it made it a lot more comfortable.

Overall, its a nice step up from a CRJ200, but I'll still take the trusty DC9 for comfort if I have choice .
Old Jul 24, 07, 10:26 am
azj

I haven't had a chance to fly our new 900s yet... but how is the Y seat more comfortable than the -200 but less so than an old cloth seat? They look plush, especially in F.

AZJ
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec
Had the first CRJ-900 experience on 7/12 MDW-MSP and was seated in exit row 12D.

The seat appeared very nice with good legroom, etc. Then, started noticing things -- NO recline; shortened armrest on window side (to not block exit door); reduced length seat bottom cushion (also to avoid blocking exit door).

For a flight of just over an hour plus boarding/taxi time, it became very uncomfortable. The reduced length seat bottom made it feel like I was sitting in a rowboat after a while. Don't know if the balance of exit seats are similar, but will avoid them from now on.

On the plus side --
Overhead bins large enough for a 22" B&R rollaboard.
Larger Windows
Excellent Lighting
Overall Headroom (important to 6'-2" pax)

Looking forward to an upgrade next time!

Also, was on US EMB-175 from RIC-CLT last week in Y. A very nice aircraft -- would rate it higher than a -9 in many ways -- even better in NWA's config with F cabin!
Old Jul 24, 07, 11:38 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ Super Plats
Originally Posted by azj View Post
I haven't had a chance to fly our new 900s yet... but how is the Y seat more comfortable than the -200 but less so than an old cloth seat? They look plush, especially in F.

AZJ
Appearances are deceptive. Lumbar support is off the bottom of the chart. I made my 3rd trip in one last night (1C); my opinion of the seats (worst in the NW fleet) are unchanged.

Originally Posted by Pick2LiteMSP View Post
Overhead bins large enough for a 22" B&R rollaboard.
If you made it onto a CRJ with any 22" rollaboard, they weren't paying attention, which is exactly what I noticed they weren't doing at MDW last night. Both my wife & another pax walked on with 2 items. My wife's 2nd item was insignificant (bag of magazines to read) but supposedly contrary to the "new" guidelines; the pax next to us had 2 real carry-ons on board.

However, they were wasting time in the gate area replacing perfectly good green NW Airlink tags; ours was left over from a previous MDW-MSP flight, had the correct destination written on them, and we made it very clear I still had the receipt stubs. Time for the bean-counting cost savers to wake up.

I could not discern that the overheads were actually larger, I guess now I will actually have to measure them.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Jul 24, 07 at 11:49 am
Old Jul 24, 07, 12:31 pm
azj

I'm guessing the 900 and 175 are going to get treated as the avro was, a mainline aircraft. Therefore normal sized roller bags will be allowed onboard and the policies for the -200 are just specific to that fleet.

Appearances are indeed deceptive... as are opinions. I value your opinion Mike, but I won't expect the seats on the 90s to be the worst in the system. Lumbar support and other comforts are a matter of opinion, but I'll keep the fact that you're vehemently against the new comforts of the 900 in mind.

AZJ
Old Jul 24, 07, 1:31 pm
Fly book Evangelist

I'm guessing the 900 and 175 are going to get treated as the avro was, a mainline aircraft. Therefore normal sized roller bags will be allowed onboard and the policies for the -200 are just specific to that fleet.
AZJ
Wrong assumption. On every CRJ-900 I've been on (3X NW, 10+X DL) they have gate-checked carryons. Our 22" rollaboards (Samsonites) would never fit in the overheads. MDW just seems to be a bit lax regarding carryon limitations.

Also note that in the F sections, the "normal" (for CRJ) sized bins are only on one side. On a mainline aircraft, you have the usual bin space for 2/3 the pax in F (as compared to Y). On the CRJ in F, you have 1/2 the bins for 3/4 the # of pax, so there isn't as much to go around. This really isn't a problem when the larger items are gate-checked.

There are some really diminutive overheads on the left over the 1-seat side that almost nobody ever uses.

Appearances are indeed deceptive... as are opinions. I value your opinion Mike, but I won't expect the seats on the 90s to be the worst in the system. Lumbar support and other comforts are a matter of opinion, but I'll keep the fact that you're vehemently against the new comforts of the 900 in mind.
So far the feedback in FT has been unanimously negative -- from several people besides myself.
Old Jul 24, 07, 3:35 pm
azj

What I meant by the -200 carryon policy differing from the 900/175 is the "personal item" concept. All planes but the -200 you get the "one plus" policy, but the -200s you get the "plus only" option. The 900s and 175s will be treated as mainline in the sense that you get "one plus" but the "one" might have to be gate checked.

Ok, fine, the CRJ900 suck according to you and the rest of flyertalk, but you guys are a hard crowd to please! I'll still reserve judgement of the a/c for when my butt is in the seat and my back is allegedly not being supported.

AZJ
Old Jul 24, 07, 5:47 pm
Fly book Evangelist

What I meant by the -200 carryon policy differing from the 900/175 is the "personal item" concept. All planes but the -200 you get the "one plus" policy, but the -200s you get the "plus only" option. The 900s and 175s will be treated as mainline in the sense that you get "one plus" but the "one" might have to be gate checked.

Ok, fine, the CRJ900 suck according to you and the rest of flyertalk, but you guys are a hard crowd to please! I'll still reserve judgement of the a/c for when my butt is in the seat and my back is allegedly not being supported.

AZJ
You keeping trying to lump the 900 in with the 175. It isn't.

The 900 is the same size tube as 700 and the 100/200. The floor was dropped 1 or 2 inches to give the illusion that it's larger. Most of that extra 1-2" is in headroom. The bins are not noticeably larger. I certain haven't been able to tell the difference.

I actually like Delta's CRJ-900's (both configurations). For starters, the seats are more comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 07, 6:15 pm
azj

I'm lumping the 175 and the 900s into the same category, because they are the newest Rjs in the NWA fleet and therefore will be treated as such. They'll be flying on routes that were formerly flown by avros and DC9s and even CRJ200s. The bins are indeed bigger on the 900s and it isn't just perception.

AZJ
Old Jul 24, 07, 8:55 pm
Fly book Evangelist

I'm lumping the 175 and the 900s into the same category, because they are the newest Rjs in the NWA fleet and therefore will be treated as such. They'll be flying on routes that were formerly flown by avros and DC9s and even CRJ200s. The bins are indeed bigger on the 900s and it isn't just perception.

AZJ
Just because they are the "newest" does not mean that they will load carryon luggage the same and/or closely resemble one another or their predecessor aircraft.

What you get on a CRJ 900 is a first-class seat (grab some padding for your back) plus a drink & snack en route.

Here is Bombardier's illustration of how "big" the overhead bins are:
http://crj.bombardier.com/CRJ/en...d=en&crjId=900
They are the same size as the bins in the 700's. I've flown on both 100/200's (NW, DL, UA) and 700's (DL) dozens of times each (as well as over a dozen trips on NW & DL 900's), and believe me there is no appreciable difference in the sizes of the overheads. Full size rollaboards (and generally anything with wheels) are gate-checked on all of the above.

Bombardier's claim they they accept a full-size rollaboard is a joke, especially given the one-plus rule. When (if) they fit, they go in sideways only.

Search this Thread