Moorea vs Bora Bora

Old Sep 24, 06, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DJ Silver, BA Silver, PC Gold, QF, SQ
Moorea vs Bora Bora

My wife and I are planning to stop in French Polynesia for a couple of days on our way to South America next year. Since we're only there for a couple of days it makes more sense to go to Moorea... it's cheaper, quicker and easier to get to and from what I understand there's more stuff to do.

But then I see photos of Bora Bora and suddenly I'm not so sure anymore. Is it worth paying an extra $350 each to get there if we're only staying for a couple of nights? Logic says no, but the photos say yes!

Any thoughts?

(We're staying at Intercontintal using Priority Club points, so accommodation cost is not an issue).

Cheers,
Steve
Old Sep 25, 06, 12:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels and TravelBuzz!

StevePER..FT has an active South Pacific Forum. So, I am going to move your thread over there. Also, be sure to check some of the hotel forums on FT. There have been some lively discussions on the Starwood and IC forums re: South Pacific properties.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 25, 06, 3:15 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; Marriott/SPG Gold
My wife and I honeymooned on Bora Bora and Moorea. We both prefer Moorea. Bora Bora is more picturesque from the air, more romantic, and feels more exclusive. If you are a scuba diver, the lagoon at Bora Bora offers diving with manta rays, which is great. However, the snorkeling on Moorea (and especially at the Sheraton Moorea) is unbeatable.

The good news is that you can't go wrong either way!
Old Sep 25, 06, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Moorea vs Bora Bora

My wife and I honeymooned in Moorea and Bora Bora, but we both preferred Bora. The island (from air, water, or any of the Motus) is drop-dead gorgeous and the water is unbelievable. That said, Moorea is very quick to get to/from (you can time your flight well with your int'l flights), the diving is very good, and there are other activities like whale/dolphin watching that are very good. Also, Moorea is "do-able" in a couple of days - you may leave Bora in 2 days really wishing you had mor time. Agree with the previous post that you can't go wrong either way.
Old Sep 25, 06, 10:43 pm

Also, I was with my wife on Honeymoon on both Moorea and Bora Bora. There is a definite contrast between the two:

Bora Bora (we were at Bora Bora Nui) had very luxurious resorts. Our hotel was incredible, both in terms of scenery and also the resort itself. The Intercontinental Thalasso was not yet opened; I suspect it is at about the same level as the Nui

Moorea (we were at the Sheraton) was a very beautiful island. Resorts not as luxurious; hotel food atrocious. There are more diversions on Moorea; more to see and do. The Intercontinental looked to be about the same as the Sheraton (we saw it via waverunner).

If you want just a beautiful Island and don't care so much about the luxury of the resort, go to Moorea. It'll be much more convenient and cheaper. If you get an overwater bungalow, it will still be incredible; just a bit rustic. In my opinion, the tropical scenery is just as good in Moorea as in Bora Bora.

If you really want to feel like you are in total luxury, with incredible rooms, etc., you have to go to Bora Bora. The $350 (or more) difference definitely makes sense. Although in Fr. Polynesia, "luxury" does not include food (which is mediocre at best) and service (which is very friendly but not all that competent).
Old Sep 26, 06, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DJ Silver, BA Silver, PC Gold, QF, SQ
Thanks for your thoughts... although we're still undecided it gives us a bit more to think about. It's a tricky dilemma but a great one to be stuck with.

Steve