Payless Car Rental in Las Vegas NV - Any reviews?

Old Nov 19, 07, 4:55 pm

Question Payless Car Rental in Las Vegas NV - Any reviews?

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with Payless Car Rentals in Las Vegas?

I've only found a couple of threads in this forum which didn't seem too positive but they didn't give a lot of detail why. Also didn't find a lot of info in the "Other - Forum" for car rentals. I'm trying my luck with a Google search now but and have only found a couple of reviews.

TIA.
Old Nov 20, 07, 11:34 am

There's no way it can be worth the pennies you save over the major companies. Check Hotwire too, unless you might have to cancel at the last minute.
Old Nov 30, 07, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum; Alaska MVP
I rented from Payless in Las Vegas about 2 1/2 years ago. I wish I could recall the specifics, but I decided at the time that I wouldn't rent from them again. I was by myself so I rented a compact or economy-type vehicle since I just drove it to/from a training class for 2 days. It was ultra-economy --- no middle console, noisy, underpowered, etc.

Ditto -- stick with the major companies. IMHO, I had better experiences with Avis, Hertz, and National.
Old Dec 3, 07, 6:35 pm

Just a followup...
We just picked up a compact from Dollar off Hotwire for sub $11/day (before taxes and fees). Funny though, it indicated that we can still cancel even though we have confirmation numbers both from Hotwire and Dollar.
Might have to check if we can get a better rate if we named our own price via Priceline because Priceline is finally showing a comparable low rate on their Best Deal prices.
Old Dec 4, 07, 10:30 am

Renting a car in LAS is about as pleasant as a root canal as it is. Don't make your day even worse by renting from a no-name company like Advantage, Thrifty, or Payless. You are likely to get a filthy, older vehicle with no frills whatsoever.

Before my company finally got corporate accounts with Enterlies and Avis, our evil travel department (Staffed with cranky 65 year old women who had never travelled outside of CA, let alone rented a car...) would choose the very cheapest midsized rental, which would very often be from a no-name offsite facility. I never ended up with a vehicle with less than 30k miles or anything that ran well, for that matter.
Old Dec 5, 07, 11:49 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by brendog View Post
Renting a car in LAS is about as pleasant as a root canal as it is.
I don't understand that comment. I've rented at LAS several times, from several companies and things were always as easy as anywhere. The new consolidated facility is fine and the buses seem to run every 2-3 minutes. They and the facility are clean and nice.

Don't make your day even worse by renting from a no-name company like Advantage, Thrifty, or Payless.
On this I agree, though. Cars tend to be very cheap so the difference between one of the majors -- after some judicious code-applying -- and the minors isn't going to be very significant.

Particularly now that it is so easy to get one of the majors' no-need-to-stop-at-the-counter plans, I'd avoid the minors.
Old Dec 6, 07, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
I don't understand that comment. I've rented at LAS several times, from several companies and things were always as easy as anywhere. The new consolidated facility is fine and the buses seem to run every 2-3 minutes. They and the facility are clean and nice.
Apparently, you haven't arrived at the facility after 9pm. The last 2 times that I've been there, it took me over 30 minutes to get a car, depite using the Emerald Aisle with National and Avis First. National had one person behind the counter (Who took 45 minutes to find a car for me...) and exactly zero cars in the aisle. Avis apparently had a trainee working, as the car with my name on it was a midsize, despite the fact that I had reserved a SUV, who took 20 minutes and made innumerable calls to figure out how to change my res and get me into something close to what I had ordered.

Also, Vegas is the armpit of the world in my eyes, so I wasn't in a particularly good mood to start with...
Old Dec 28, 07, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Do NOT rent from Payless

Originally Posted by Jay71 View Post
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with Payless Car Rentals...
I would urge anybody not to rent from Payless, based on my unpleasant experience in MIA documented here.

The only pleasant part of my memory is noting the $109 SEA-MIA fare we snagged in 2004.

Cheers,
Fredd

Search this Thread