Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other European Airlines
Reload this Page > How strict is Vueling's carryon size policy?

How strict is Vueling's carryon size policy?

Old Apr 27, 14, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, AmEx MRs
How strict is Vueling's carryon size policy?

I'm flying Vueling from Malaga to Barcelona in a week and see that their carry-on size limit is 55x40x20 cms. The 20 cms seems very small--most suitcases are 23 cms, or around 9". Does anyone know if they strictly enforce those limits? I'm thinking of taking a suitcase that complies with the other two dimensions, but is 23 cms, not 20.
Old Apr 28, 14, 5:22 pm

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
IME they don't have the Ryanair or Easyjet paranoia, i.e. if it's just a matter of 3cm you should be more than fine! When flights are fully booked they should warn you at check-in, and offer to check your bag for free (but actually that warning is regardless of carry-on size). At least that's my consistent experience on numerous nearly fully booked flights departing from ORY. Of course if you booked an excellence fare, you don't have to worry at all
Old May 3, 14, 11:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AZ ST E+, UA Gold MM, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond
A little OT, but do they charge for printing boarding passes like Ryanair does?
Old May 4, 14, 11:07 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.7MM 1K, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Best Western Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by jlo3603 View Post
I'm flying Vueling from Malaga to Barcelona in a week and see that their carry-on size limit is 55x40x20 cms. The 20 cms seems very small--most suitcases are 23 cms, or around 9". Does anyone know if they strictly enforce those limits? I'm thinking of taking a suitcase that complies with the other two dimensions, but is 23 cms, not 20.
I flew from LGW to FLR and back this week. I had actually booked through netflights.com and was under the impression that I was flying with Iberia, whose carry-on baggage dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25cm. It was only at the last minute that I discovered these were Iberia flights operated by Vueling. (On a side note, it was difficult to find out which terminal at LGW: Iberia is supposed to operate from the South Terminal, but on arrival at that terminal, I found that they don't operate from there at all and had to migrate to the North Terminal.)

Flying out of LGW, no problem with hand baggage at all. The check-in agent didn't even look at it. Flying back from FLR, I was asked to weigh my carry-on, which came to 11.2kg. The check-in agent said that the limit is 10kg (no sign of that on the Iberia website, of course) but that this would not be a problem. He then asked me to put my 55 x 35 x 24 bag in the sizer. Although it is 23cm deep without the side pockets, I was able to make it, by pushing in on the outside compartments. Of course, having got it in, I then couldn't get it out again without assistance from another gentleman. The agent apologized that he had had to ask me to do it.

Having experienced Vueling for the first time, I can assure you that it will be the last. Narrow-pitch, uncomfortable seats, shoddy aircraft, having to pay for water (just like other LCC carriers).....
Old May 4, 14, 11:11 am
sfx

A good common size in the EU for cabin bags is
50cm x 39cm x 19 cm
will be allowed on all airlines

not worth the risk of trying it on. just takes one full flight and they will charge you ~40.

Last edited by sfx; May 5, 14 at 7:07 am
Old May 4, 14, 11:42 am

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636 View Post
A little OT, but do they charge for printing boarding passes like Ryanair does?
No charge for BP, regardless of whether you already checked-in online or did not bother to. VY may be a low cost, but they're fairly correct with their clients when it comes to extra charges.
Old May 5, 14, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by sfx View Post
The EU standard for cabin bags is
50cm x 39cm x 19 cm
That's a new one - any link to an EU document showing it.
Old May 5, 14, 6:32 am
sfx

Originally Posted by alanR View Post
That's a new one - any link to an EU document showing it.
A bag that size is allowed on all airlines operating in EU.

Buying a bag that size means you don't need a range of bags dependent on which airline you fly on.
Old May 5, 14, 6:49 am
A Fly book Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sfx View Post
A bag that size is allowed on all airlines operating in EU.

Buying a bag that size means you don't need a range of bags dependent on which airline you fly on.
But many EU airlines allow carry on pieces larger than this, so to claim that it's the EU standard is incorrect and could seriously inconvenience some people.
Old May 5, 14, 6:58 am
sfx

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
But many EU airlines allow carry on pieces larger than this, so to claim that it's the EU standard is incorrect and could seriously inconvenience some people.
Bags sold as cabin compliant are that size. As bag that size is allowed on all airlines operating in EU.

It is rather greater inconvenience to be over an airline's limits.
Old May 27, 17, 12:17 am

any updates?

I'll be flying vueling one way from Seville to Barcelona in a couple of weeks

Can anyone provide any recent experience with the carry on luggage policy of 55x40x20 cm? I'm considering buying a costco spinner however it's listed 24 cm

https://costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100344004.html
Old May 29, 17, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by directcj View Post
I'm considering buying a costco spinner however it's listed 24 cm
As long as it fits in the overhead bin wheels first you'll be fine. Vueling is not looking to make money out of this, it's about you being able to stow it without taking up excessive luggage bin space.

Search this Thread