Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page > Is it allowed to carry big size toothpaste on plane

Is it allowed to carry big size toothpaste on plane

Old Jun 7, 13, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Is it allowed to carry big size toothpaste on plane

Hello,
I'm travelling with carry-on only. Is it allowed to carry on the plane normal size toothpaste? It is not liquid.

thanks
Old Jun 7, 13, 4:09 am

As long as its 100ml or under you should be fine.
In the war against water, gels are also victims.
Old Jun 7, 13, 4:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN*, HH Gold
A 100ml tube of toothpaste is more than I want to take on a trip.
Old Jun 7, 13, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies
Old Jun 7, 13, 6:03 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
100 ml (or 3.38 oz) or less should be no problem. Even 10 of such should be ok.
Just don't try to bring 5 times 200 ml, then you will be the toothpaste terrorist.

Anyway, just curious what kind of toothpaste you have if it's not a liquid or a gel... might be great to find a solid toothpaste (no more hand luggage resealable bag issues!)
Old Jun 7, 13, 6:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN*, HH Gold
Originally Posted by UltraRant View Post
100 ml (or 3.38 oz) or less should be no problem. Even 10 of such should be ok.
As long as you can fit them in a transparent resealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity of one litre.
Old Jun 7, 13, 6:40 am

There's a bunch of threads in Travel & Dining about finding powder substitutes, plenty of FlyerTalkers are adamant about carrying zero liquids, but still managing to bring soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc in powder form.

Personally, I can't be bothered...my freedom baggie isn't that difficult to remove for security.
Old Jun 7, 13, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83 View Post
Personally, I can't be bothered...my freedom baggie isn't that difficult to remove for security.
I can't be bothered as well - so I don't remove it at all.
Old Jun 7, 13, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
In this post 9/11 ongoing (soon to be 12 years) war on terror theater, 100 ml (3.38 oz) is THE new "normal" - and the airline fees for the sheeps w/o status or their premier affinity card - passing thru TSA checkpoints.

OP is free to purchase a bigger "tube" airside if s/he can find them in the shops. (Except when flying back home to the US on a non-stop from destinations abroad, where they do secondary "bag" searches as part of pre-boarding near the gate)

For something like toothpaste, that is more than enough to last for 2+ weeks for the road warriors.

Just a matter of time before the hotel chains begin charging amenity fees for the complimentary toiletry kits, on top of the resort fees, etc. - to catch up with the airlines' nickel & dime games.
Old Jun 7, 13, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83 View Post
There's a bunch of threads in Travel & Dining about finding powder substitutes, plenty of FlyerTalkers are adamant about carrying zero liquids, but still managing to bring soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc in powder form.

But in our part of the world full-size toothpaste IS under 100ml; it comes in 75ml containers in Germany and much/most of Europe, and that's full size.

Dentagard is marketing 'new' 100ml larger sizes now but they still meet the requirement http://dentagard.de/produkte.htm

(OK, did this thread take a detour from M&M? Based on all the Germanic posters I assume so...) In America, I think that their toothpaste is either the tiny trial/travel size, or not marked as 'legal' like ours.

LUSH makes a solid, chewable toothpaste but I've never bothered to use it. And for the height of environmental unfriendliness, Colgate in America sells disposable one-time use mini toothbrushes, already prefilled with paste.
Old Jun 8, 13, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat/GE
Originally Posted by exbayern View Post

LUSH makes a solid, chewable toothpaste but I've never bothered to use it. And for the height of environmental unfriendliness, Colgate in America sells disposable one-time use mini toothbrushes, already prefilled with paste.
I made the mistake of shopping for solid toothpaste, shampoo and such with my wife at Lush. Now it's her favorite toiletries store, she shops there whenever she can.

I saw those toothbrush, I guess one can have it available for unexpected house guests. I like their folding toothbrush.
Old Jun 8, 13, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Conited Gold (and falling)
A full-size tube in the US would be 170-230 grams (6 - 8 ounces).

Colgate sells a special size are 80 grams (2.8 ounces) or so. That's not really travel size, but a lot smaller than you usually buy for home use.

The real small ones - travel size - are around 28 grams (1 oz).
Old Jun 8, 13, 8:27 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Tooth paste in the USA is sold by mass not volume. IME, a 100 gram tube is acceptable to the TSA, who appear to equate mLs to grams.

The 80 to 100 gram tubes of tooth paste can be found in dollar stores.
Old Jun 9, 13, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post

The 80 to 100 gram tubes of tooth paste can be found in dollar stores.
Or in virtually every single drugstore (and grocery store) selling toothpaste in much of the rest of the world, marked as 75ml or now 100ml for some types/brands.

Especially if the thread started in M&M, we can't assume that OP is just travelling in domestic America and that the question regards to the TSA, if at all, or to other countries/security. It's more of a non-issue outside the US (as with much of airport security it's one more thing which is far easier outside the US)

And the Colgate which I purchased in Boots in the UK which is 'full size' is identical in size to the one which a colleague purchased in a Costco in the US (some sort of 'sensitive' type which I only bought because Dentagard is not sold in the UK, and it was on 3-for-2 at Boots) Mine is marked for German, UK, and Philipine markets.

Last edited by exbayern; Jun 9, 13 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 9, 13, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Gold), SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
In the US the dollar type stores sell Sensodyne in a 2.7 oz size which is TSA compliant. Those 1 oz "travel" size are a joke.

Search this Thread