Go Back Fly book Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page > savannah GA (SAV) and jacksonville FL (JAX)

savannah GA (SAV) and jacksonville FL (JAX)

Old Nov 28, 06, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
savannah GA (SAV) and jacksonville FL (JAX)

How far is it to drive from JAX to Savannah? And is it a picturesque ride along the coast -- any nice places to stop for lunch etc?

Planning a trip to Savannah -- preferred airline is AA but they have hugely expensive fares only via DFW to SAV, whereas they actually have a nonstop LGA-JAX which is cheaper than Delta's LGA-SAV flight. A recent bad experience on Delta makes me tempted by the JAX flight, if the drive is fun and do-able.

Would there be much traffic driving north on Friday early afternoon and south on Sunday late afternoon?

Thanks...
Old Nov 28, 06, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Google shows it about 130 miles each way. I've made the drive myself about a half dozen times or so (last time was 2003, though). My memory is that is was very green (compared to Southern California - which isn't saying much) and I remember seeing some touristy stands along the way (i.e. selling alligator heads, keychains, nuts, etc.) I don't recall ever stopping for lunch as I was usually coming from JAX and simply wanted to wait until I got into Savannah. I am sure there are some locals here who chime in here.
Old Dec 5, 06, 6:10 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
How far is it to drive from JAX to Savannah? And is it a picturesque ride along the coast -- any nice places to stop for lunch etc?

Planning a trip to Savannah -- preferred airline is AA but they have hugely expensive fares only via DFW to SAV, whereas they actually have a nonstop LGA-JAX which is cheaper than Delta's LGA-SAV flight. A recent bad experience on Delta makes me tempted by the JAX flight, if the drive is fun and do-able.

Would there be much traffic driving north on Friday early afternoon and south on Sunday late afternoon?

Thanks...
There's a loop you can do off I-95 to Jekyll Island or Sea Island - but otherwise it's about a 2 hour no-sweat drive on I-95 from JAX. There is no coastal road that will take you from "here" to "there". Take a look at a map . The I-95 traffic is dense - but there usually aren't any problems to speak of.

Don't know how much time you plan to spend in Savannah - but I don't think it's more than a 2 day town. If your trip is longer - look into what we have to offer in northeast Florida . Robyn

P.S. Is LGA your most convenient airport?

Continental has good service to JAX from EWR.
Old Dec 7, 06, 1:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD; AGR
Originally Posted by robyng View Post
P.S. Is LGA your most convenient airport?

Continental has good service to JAX from EWR.
Yes, but I want AA miles and LGA is in fact the most convenient airport. (Otherwise, would probably do CO direct to SAV from EWR...)
Old Dec 7, 06, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM (finally)
Originally Posted by salut0 View Post
There is always a lot of traffic on I-95 in north Florida and Georgia. However, it is almost always manageable and delays in that area are pretty rare. It can be frustrating if you like to use your cruise control, but otherwise the OP should have few problems.
Old Dec 8, 06, 7:48 am

Programs: DL,HH Gold,SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni SG
Reader's Digest Book, "The Most Scenic Drives in America" has a route that starts just north of Jax and goes to Savannah called "Georgia's Colonial Coast." It's 170 miles, and list possible side trips. For more information the book lists the Georgia Department fo Industry, Trade and Tourism at 404-656-3590.

Search this Thread