Transportation from either EWR or LGA to JFK

Old Apr 11, 12, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Transportation from either EWR or LGA to JFK

I will be flying SWA to either EWR or LGA and have a connecting flight out of JFK to Spain for my cruise. Flying out of JFK to Spain is almost $500 cheaper than out of EWR.

Does anyone have any ideas what is the best way to get from either airport to JFK?

thanks.
Old Apr 11, 12, 1:28 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

How much luggage will you have?
Old Apr 11, 12, 1:58 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Not at all my area of expertise, but if I needed to do this I would study resources such as:
Of course I'd also hope that an expert would quickly chime in here with a clear and simple answer.
Old Apr 11, 12, 2:15 am

Airport-to-Airport Transportation

When would you arrive to EWR/LGA? When would you depart from JFK?

It might be possible to use a shuttle service which offers airport-to-airport transportation. Go Airlink, for instance, offers this kind of service. You can view rate information as well as FAQs by visiting http://goairlinkshuttle.com. I don't mean to endorse Go Airlink. There are plenty of other shuttle services available. Google "NYC airport to airport transportation" for additional options.

Of course, you can always find someone in the area who might be willing to grant you a favor.
Old Apr 11, 12, 2:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've done LGA-JFK before on a shuttle. Give yourself at least 3 hours to make the transfer. "Go Airlink Shuttle."
Taxi is another way to go.
Old Apr 11, 12, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
I'm not a frequent visitor to the SWA boards, but I've done transfers between NYC airports many times.

From LGA, I prefer to take a taxi to JFK. Unless there is heavy traffic on the Van Wyck, it should take about 25 minutes, and cost roughly $35 plus tip. Alternatively, I've used the shuttle service between LGA and JFK (New York Airport Service, I think), although it's been a few years since I've done that so I don't know if they're still operating. It took a little under an hour and it cost me $13 back then. Another option is to taxi to Woodside train station (about $12 plus tip), train to Jamaica ($3.75-$8.75 depending on time of travel), Airtrain to terminal ($5). This takes about an hour but varies depending on frequency of trains.

From EWR, I have only taken public transportation. New Jersey transit to New York Penn Station ($12.50 I think), LIRR from Penn Station to Jamaica ($3.75-$8.75), and Airtrain to terminal ($5). I would say this takes a good 90 minutes unless trains align. A taxi (if you find one that will take you all the way to JFK) is going to be $80-90 plus tip and tolls, and it will take an hour at least.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 11, 12, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I am flying from San Diego to Chicago Midway on Tuesday May 8th and spend the day/night seeing Chicago as my friend never been there. We then would fly to NYC the next day May 9th. Our flight leaves out of JFK at 7:20PM. I am planning on taking an early flight from MDW and giving myself at least 7 hours in between flights.

I think i should fly in to LGA since it is closer. If LGA is backed up with any delays, i guess i can try to go to EWR.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:10 am

I have found the NYC Airporter is the best way to go. Here is the link:

http://nycairporter.com/

The link below is a great summary of what your options are:

http://panynj.gov/airports/jfk-a...nnections.html
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:22 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
I would recomend NYCairporter as well. If you don't want to take a shuttle then I would recomend carmel limo (carmellimo.com) over a cab. They are usually around the same price as a cab (can be cheaper in fact if there is a lot of waiting due to heavy traffic since Carmel is a flat fare) and you don't have to wait in a cab queue.

If you have a LOT of time to spare and fly into EWR you can also take the train/subway but it will mean transferring from NJ Train system to MTA.

Just make sure you have a LOT of time between the two flights since you will have to check in earlier bieng an international flight and if your WN flight is cancelled or delayed enough causing you to miss your JFK flight, you will not be protected and your checked bags will have to be claimed at EWR and rechecked at JFK since WN doesn't interline.
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Looks like I will take the first flight out of MDW to LGA and take the NYCAirporters as they seem to have a shuttle every 30 minutes. Cost is also very good at $12/one way per person.

Old Apr 12, 12, 9:38 am

Well if you end up arriving LGA on time, you are going to have several hours to kill at JFK. I'd probably use public transportation and see a little of the city while I was there. You could obviously go into manhattan. Jackson Heights would be a somewhat interesting area of Queens that is not far from LGA.

I'd agree that you should get to NYC as early as possible in case there are problems. But once in NYC no need to show up at JFK at noon, seven hours before your flight.
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:09 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I understand that you have loyalty to Southwest, however, as a New Yorker, I have to reccomend taking a carrier which flies from ORD-JFK.

Looking at random dates, B6 and AA have flights for 111.00, DL at 150.00. By booking from ORD-JFK you will be able to checkin in ORD, and not have to worry about your baggage until you get to MAD.

If you still choose to switch airports, the information is pretty accurate as you see it here regarding LGA-JFK.

From Newark, every taxi has to take you to JFK, and will coat you just anout 100.00 before tip. There are two shuttles, priced right at 30.00, one leaves hourly at :00, the other at :30. All should take about an hour.
Old Apr 12, 12, 10:39 pm

Programs: *G, HH Diamond, SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by kwildnj View Post
From Newark, every taxi has to take you to JFK, and will coat you just anout 100.00 before tip. There are two shuttles, priced right at 30.00, one leaves hourly at :00, the other at :30. All should take about an hour.
Just in case, if you decided to leave from EWR, an hour is without traffic. Verazano bridge and Belt Parkway could be heavy especially if you hit the area after 4:00 PM
Old Apr 7, 13, 5:49 pm

JFK-LGA

Landing into JFK from Dominican Republic at approx 540p, and have a 9p flight out of LGA. This should be enough time to take the NYCAirporter, right?
Old Apr 9, 13, 5:19 pm

Transit between NYC Airports

I've done both taxis and the Shuttle bus btwn LGA and JFK. Both are relatively painless. Taxi will cost maybe $30 or so plus a tip, and will be direct point-to-point. Should take maybe 30 minutes in the AM, as you're going against the traffic. The Shuttle bus is I believe $13, should take maybe twice as long, as it stops at each terminal on the way out of LGA and then inside JFK.

Diverting by going to Manhattan WITH YOUR LUGGAGE is ridiculous. If early enough you could check-in at JFK and take the mono-rail and train-subway combo to Manhattan and then vice versa in the afternoon. Cabs are fixed at $45 each way. Traffic will be heavy leaving Manhattan in the afternoon heading towards the airports if you choose a taxi for this leg.

As you'd probably guessed nothing much to do near JFK, well Aqueduct Race Track is almost across the street.

SAS

Search this Thread