Go Back Fly book Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page > What's the difference between Business Select / Anytime / Wanna Get Away fares?

What's the difference between Business Select / Anytime / Wanna Get Away fares?

Old Jun 12, 12, 8:23 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
What's the difference between Business Select / Anytime / Wanna Get Away fares?

Business Select / Anytime / Wanna Get Away fares?

Really new to Southwest so this can be categorized as a noob question but as I understand it all fares are refundable and there isn't any first class seating? So why the big fare differences? What do the other fare buckets give you that Wanna Get Away doesn't?
Thanks
Old Jun 12, 12, 8:35 am

Programs: HH Silver
This will give a general idea.

http://southwest.com/flight/pop_...tml?airline=WN

Wanna get away fares are not refundable, but the funds are deposited and can be reused. One of the biggest differences is the amount of points earned.

Last edited by tatterdema; Jun 12, 12 at 8:43 am
Old Jun 12, 12, 9:15 am

Thanks for the link!
Old Jun 12, 12, 7:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
I retitled the tread for clarity. Using vague thread titles to attract more readers wastes people's time and is not permitted on FT.

Furthermore in this forum virtually every question will get an answer if someone hear knows it. That's an advantage of a relatively quiet forum: People have time to read everything.
Old Jun 12, 12, 11:11 pm

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 12, 12:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Thanks!
Yes, the members here are very helpful. Also check out the mega-faq at http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php..._Rapid_Rewards
Old Jun 13, 12, 2:54 pm

Curious what others think - I generally feel that there's no reason to purchase an Anytime fare. The difference in cost between Anytime and Business is select is usually so minimal that it's worth the slight premium for boarding and more points. Anyone have a different experience?
Old Jun 14, 12, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
Curious what others think - I generally feel that there's no reason to purchase an Anytime fare. The difference in cost between Anytime and Business is select is usually so minimal that it's worth the slight premium for boarding and more points. Anyone have a different experience?
For myself, I agree completely. But believe it or not, there are some people travelling alone who really don't care where they sit or when they board, especially on a short flight.
Old Jun 14, 12, 5:27 pm

Programs: WN A w/CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
For myself, I agree completely. But believe it or not, there are some people travelling alone who really don't care where they sit or when they board, especially on a short flight.
The big kicker is the 2x points we A+ get.
Old Jun 14, 12, 6:15 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR
Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
Though I've never traveled on a BS or AT fare and would (and have) taken my usual seat of 17A even when bulkhead and exit row was available if I ever did buy full fare I would still take BS without much thought just for the point bonus.
Old Jun 14, 12, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Dia, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dagaetch View Post
Unless you are traveling for business and the company policy is economy only. "Business Select" jumps out on the receipt and can cause the expense report to be rejected.
Old Jun 15, 12, 8:20 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred and Companion Pass holder, AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
In my experience, 'Business Select' does not show on the receipt - where are you seeing it?
Old Jun 15, 12, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN A w/CP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by graupel22 View Post
In my experience, 'Business Select' does not show on the receipt - where are you seeing it?
I just checked my last BS flight and both the online receipt and the email receipt clearly say Business Select.

Pasted from email:

Depart KANSAS CITY INTL (MCI) at 4:40 PM
Arrive in NASHVILLE TN (BNA) at 6:10 PM
Travel Time 1 hrs 30 mins
Business Select
Pasted from online receipt:

Flight MCI-BNA Business Select
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:09 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
The name Business Select is such a joke. As an airtran flyer, I am dreading the day I will have to use Southwest. So you get flight dollar credit instead of actual refund on the lower fare. If you intend to fly again, I see no big difference in the refund value. No business class, no real perks. Not worth it. Oh yeah, some consider standing in line early a perk. A real perk would be assigned seating so I can just sit in my seat after the crowd has filed in slowly.
Old Jun 15, 12, 8:24 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
I find it difficult to believe that you 'have to use Southwest' at any point. You don't have other choices for your routes? Where does Airtran fly that no one but Southwest offers any other options?

Search this Thread