Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page > Use bag for gate check of stroller & car seat or not?

Use bag for gate check of stroller & car seat or not?

Old Jan 28, 10, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond

I've been told that if they are bagged, they often do not get returned to the plane for pick up and end up with the rest of the luggage.

Also, I've been told that if they are not bagged, they come back needing cleaning & repair.

Anybody have wisdom for me ?
Old Feb 2, 10, 12:51 pm

Mods can you please move this to the 'Travel with Children' forum for me? Thanks
Old Feb 2, 10, 2:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, Delta Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Can only speak to stroller...we bag our stroller for gate check all the time with no problem. Make sure gate check tag is prominently displayed on bag. Always returned to gate. Keeps it clean and dry.
Old Feb 3, 10, 3:35 pm

I've never bagged my strollers. But I don't have nice strollers. If I had a really nice stroller, I might bag it.

I've never gate checked a seat. But I have checked a seat with all the other luggage and used a bag. So given that I alreayd have a bag, I'd probably use it if I was gate checking. And I'd worry a little more about car seat getting dirty than a stroller.
Old Feb 3, 10, 6:24 pm

I bag the stroller and car seat. For travel, I bring a Cosco Scenera. Cheap and light, and when you purchase it from a b&m store, they sell it in a clear bag with a handle instead of a box. Works great.

For the stroller, I ask for a bag at baggage check. Many airlines keep big clear bags for car seats/strollers at bag check. Stick stroller in it, but rip a hold so the gate check tag sticks out. Keeps the stroller clean and prevents some scrapes.
Old Feb 4, 10, 7:27 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
I have bagged the car seat for gate check as I have found that with all the straps and belts for the latch system they can get stuck or possibly damaged which then makes the seat useless.

X
Old Feb 4, 10, 11:45 am

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by StevenH123 View Post

I've been told that if they are bagged, they often do not get returned to the plane for pick up and end up with the rest of the luggage.

Also, I've been told that if they are not bagged, they come back needing cleaning & repair.

Anybody have wisdom for me ?
Actually, some airlines do deliver strollers down in baggage claim . What a pain as you have to get off the plane and get all the way to there without it. Luckily, I've only seen this in Europe and the ME. (anyone can add to that?) You may want to ask at check-in if you're flying with a foreign company and perhaps have some way of carrying your child, depending on his age and ability to walk. It can be a long haul even for a good walker!

Most U.S. companies (thank goodness) deliver gate-checked items to the door of the aircraft, or at the bottom of the stairs if deplaning from the tarmac (outside-the fun way in the rain!) Which brings me to the point; bags are good if it's raining, because even with a jetway, the stroller will be exposed at least somewhat to the elements.

Before leaving home, strip your stroller of all the stuff like cup holders and toys. Some models it's even a good idea to take off the sunshade (since you don't need it in an airport). Before leaving it at the door of the plane, attach the straps and bring a bungee cord to double secure it. A lot of strollers get broken because they pop open en route and you have some baggage guy trying fold it back down... Most strollers only have a flimsy latch so use the bungee cord over the bag. I never used a bag but it's a good idea. My (also not expensive) strollers got dirty and once the foam handles ripped. Like a pp said, make sure the baggage tag can been seen and is sticking out somewhere.

Bravo for not baggage-checking your car seat but if you have a lap baby, still try to use it on board if there's an extra seat, since you're taking it to the gate anyway.

Oh and don't forget to ask which door to exit. They may announce it over the loudspeakers. The gate-checked items are often only delivered to one door on bigger aircraft and if you go out the wrong one, you have to walk all the way around...
Old Feb 4, 10, 12:09 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We have always gate-checked a bagged carseat, and it has always been returned at the gate. We generally fly UA but have had the same experience with AA, AS, and VX.

Just be sure to have the "Gate Check - Deliver At Gate" (or similar) tag put onto the bag before you drop off the item on the jetway. With UA, this is a neon green tag.

I highly recommend bagging to keep the item clean. We purchased a zippable plastic bag from Babies R Us for our Britax Marathon, and it works great, even with the Go Go Babyz wheels installed on the car seat (also recommended!).
Old Feb 4, 10, 3:33 pm

Wow, thanks everybody for the input! I think that I will bag. I will start another thread to discuss different brands/types of gate check bags.
Old Feb 4, 10, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
Actually, some airlines do deliver strollers down in baggage claim . What a pain as you have to get off the plane and get all the way to there without it. Luckily, I've only seen this in Europe and the ME. (anyone can add to that?) You may want to ask at check-in if you're flying with a foreign company and perhaps have some way of carrying your child, depending on his age and ability to walk. It can be a long haul even for a good walker!
May be we are unlucky or perhaps its down to where and with whom we fly, but we have never had our gate checked buggy back at the door over the last 3-4 years.

This includes flying into and out of (on numerous occasions) UK, Australia, New Zealand and various Asian countries and mainly using BA,Qantas,Air New Zealand and Cathay.

With 2 young children it would have been so much easier to have had our buggy back, but I guess I got to the stage where I did expect to get it back until baggage claim. At least it provided some excitement for my son waiting for his sisters buggy to appear!!!!!! Unfortunately as many times as we have gate checked our buggy we have also not been allowed to. On these occasions I would not expect to see the buggy at the aircraft door on arrival, but would have hoped if it went in at the gate it would come back to me at the gate!!!!!

I am not sure whether my experience is typical taking into account the destinations and airlines we used or not.
Old Feb 5, 10, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, CO, KE
I've gate checked strollers on KE and UA. When we had a cheap-o umbrella stroller we didn't bag it and had no problems getting it back at the jetway on arrival. When we got a nicer Maclaren we got a black nylon bag for it and found that unless we were there to tell the ramp worker to look for it, they'd ususally mistake it for golf clubs and send it to baggage claim.

So, I'd advise a clear bag or one of those bright red ones that says "Gate Check" on it.