Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Children
Reload this Page > Lightweight 5-point car seat for kids >40lbs?

Lightweight 5-point car seat for kids >40lbs?

Old Jan 3, 13, 1:25 am

Programs: UA nobody, AA GLD, MrIce: UA Premier
Lightweight 5-point car seat for kids >40lbs?

TinyDancer has finally outgrown her Cosco Scenera, and I'm curious if there's a 5-point-harnessed car seat for kids over 40lbs that's convenient for travel. We have a Britax Boulevard and a Diono (Sunshine) Radian at home, and they're behemoths, weighing in at 25-ish lbs each. The Cosco, as many of you know, weighs about 7lbs, tops. Would love to find something that light, but even under 15 lbs would be great. TIA.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:02 am

DId you already look at the ride safe's?

http://amazon.com/RideSafer-Car-.../dp/B000KCV61U
Old Jan 3, 13, 5:57 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Yeah, I'd look at Rider Safer Travel Vest, too. We just got one recently, too.
That is assuming you don't want to use it in the plane (and there's no need to...). You can just stash the vest in a carry on
Old Jan 3, 13, 8:35 am

Those Sceneras are great for travel, aren't they? I was sad when our son outgrew his.

We have this seat for travel -

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgus...at-22256ahe--1

Two things about it -

It folds down into a case, which makes it very easy to carry on and store in the overhead bin. Because of the design, I also would feel comfortable checking it because....

the seat has a unusual design, the "back" is soft yet heavy duty fabric (the wings are cushioned plastic) so there isn't much of a chance for structural damage. It could easily fit inside a larger suitcase.

To install it, you use LATCH for the lower seat part and then use the vehicles rear tether points to secure the back. It is easy to get a nice, secure install. The five point harness straps are easy to adjust. Ours has an adapter for use as a belt positioning booster and you can use just the base later on.
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:02 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin View Post
Those Sceneras are great for travel, aren't they? I was sad when our son outgrew his.

We have this seat for travel -

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/en/djgus...at-22256ahe--1

Two things about it -

It folds down into a case, which makes it very easy to carry on and store in the overhead bin. Because of the design, I also would feel comfortable checking it because....

the seat has a unusual design, the "back" is soft yet heavy duty fabric (the wings are cushioned plastic) so there isn't much of a chance for structural damage. It could easily fit inside a larger suitcase.

To install it, you use LATCH for the lower seat part and then use the vehicles rear tether points to secure the back. It is easy to get a nice, secure install. The five point harness straps are easy to adjust. Ours has an adapter for use as a belt positioning booster and you can use just the base later on.
I considered this. The reason I went with the vest (just to provide the OP with food for thought since both are great options) is that I could not be 100% that a top tether would be available at ALL destinations. (We travel internationally.) If you want to use the seat in harnessed mode, a top tether is required. The top tether is NOT required for use as a booster with only the seatbelt (no harness).

Between this folding seat and the ride safer vest, I think one of these two will work for oyu, depending on the situation.
Old Jan 3, 13, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er View Post
I considered this. The reason I went with the vest (just to provide the OP with food for thought since both are great options) is that I could not be 100% that a top tether would be available at ALL destinations. (We travel internationally.) If you want to use the seat in harnessed mode, a top tether is required. The top tether is NOT required for use as a booster with only the seatbelt (no harness).

Between this folding seat and the ride safer vest, I think one of these two will work for oyu, depending on the situation.
Yes, that is a very important point to consider.
Old Jan 3, 13, 3:38 pm

Interesting, the car seat vest. I've never heard of such a thing. I had found the Safety 1st Go. Whatever I choose, it will end up being the car seat/device our nanny uses when it's not being used for travel.

ETA: Looking at the Safety 1st on Amazon, the negative reviews generally say that it isn't good for tall children. My daughter is going to be 4 1/2 in February, and is 44" and 40-ish lbs, which is like 99th percentile for height at her age (mom and dad are both really tall). Can anyone offer any further experiences related to this criticism?

Last edited by icedancer; Jan 3, 13 at 3:46 pm
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:21 pm

The Ride Safer Travel Vests is a belt positioning booster, not a five point harnessed seat. How old is your child and what is her/his height and weight?

ETA just saw that. Off the top of my head, I can't thing of a lightweight harnessed seat for that dimensions. I'll have to go make some inquiries. You can also head over to car-seat.org.
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:32 pm

Okay, so here is a list of Forward Facing only harnessed seats. I really wouldn't recommend a convertible at this stage.

http://car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67

If I was you, I would just suck it up and use the Radian for travel and get her a Britax Frontier. It has the highest harness slots for a combination seat on the market.
Old Jan 3, 13, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by CBear View Post
Okay, so here is a list of Forward Facing only harnessed seats. I really wouldn't recommend a convertible at this stage.

http://car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67

If I was you, I would just suck it up and use the Radian for travel and get her a Britax Frontier. It has the highest harness slots for a combination seat on the market.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...at least the Radian folds...
Old Jan 4, 13, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
ETA: Looking at the Safety 1st on Amazon, the negative reviews generally say that it isn't good for tall children. My daughter is going to be 4 1/2 in February, and is 44" and 40-ish lbs, which is like 99th percentile for height at her age (mom and dad are both really tall). Can anyone offer any further experiences related to this criticism?
We also have a 99% in height (and weight) and I did not find his height to be a problem with the seat, it adjusts quite high.
Old Jan 4, 13, 1:05 pm

New product alert!

The Harmony Defender is now starting to appear on some Walmart shelves. It has 18.25" top slots, 22-65lbs harnessed weight limit, no re-thread harness. Not sure on the weight of the actual seat yet. Retails for about $99 and I'm fairly sure it will be a Walmart exclusive.
Old Jan 4, 13, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by CBear View Post
New product alert!

The Harmony Defender is now starting to appear on some Walmart shelves. It has 18.25" top slots, 22-65lbs harnessed weight limit, no re-thread harness. Not sure on the weight of the actual seat yet. Retails for about $99 and I'm fairly sure it will be a Walmart exclusive.
Thanks! It will be awesome to have such a cheap alternative, if it turns out to be a lightweight seat. (I've emailed the company to see, since for whatever reason, not one person on any car seat blog has posted about the weight). If it's over 20 lbs, I'll probably just go with the Frontier 85.
Old Jan 7, 13, 2:58 pm

So I'm at Walmart as I type, and the Harmony Defender is a monster. Definitely no lighter than the Boulevard or Radian, IMO. What do people think of Safety 1st Guide 65? It's harnessed to 65 lbs, very lightweight, and $59 on sale.
Old Jan 7, 13, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
So I'm at Walmart as I type, and the Harmony Defender is a monster. Definitely no lighter than the Boulevard or Radian, IMO. What do people think of Safety 1st Guide 65? It's harnessed to 65 lbs, very lightweight, and $59 on sale.

It's a great convertible seats and I've only heard reviews of it for extended rear facing. I have heard of bigger kids complaining about the head rest and the harness straps is very narrow. Unfortunately it does not come with harness covers, so that might be a deal breaker.

However the Radian will last you longer since Diono allows the shoulders to be over the last harness slot, instead of under. Honestly, you are not going to find what you are looking for. There is no FF only harnessed seat that is anywhere close to being as lightweight as a Scenera. Your best bet will be to put the Radian on a folding luggage cart and roll it through the airport. It's narrow enough that it can be rolled between seats through the aisle and FF installation on a plane is a breeze.

Search this Thread