Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page > One Bag carry-on convertible: eBags Weekender or Rick Steves Convertible

One Bag carry-on convertible: eBags Weekender or Rick Steves Convertible

Old Nov 10, 09, 4:14 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
One Bag carry-on convertible: eBags Weekender or Rick Steves Convertible

I'm looking for a pair of bags for me and my wife to do one bag traveling without spending a fortune on new luggage. We each already have 22" rollaboards, but I'd rather go with lighter-weight convertible backpacks. I've narrowed the choices down to the eBags Weekender and the Rick Steves convertible. The eBags Weekender is slightly less expensive and I like the look better, but I like that the RS convertible weighs a bit less and has a water bottle pocket on the side.

On a related note, does anyone have an idea which bag would work better for a short woman (my wife is 5'2'')?

I've pored through all the stuff here and on other sites, but I'm just having a heck of a time choosing. I'm pretty sure I'm over-obsessing about it, but that's just my nature.
Old Nov 10, 09, 4:41 pm

Just purchased the eBags weekender

Bought directly from eBags, was 10% less than amazon.com.

Three colors, black and black with either red or blue accents.

OT: I am 5'8", but have a high waist. By the time I jet off to Paris, I will have hoped to lose 30 more pounds.

Price was $62.99. ST is over $80 and change. eBags has free shipping for orders over $25.00

I read reviews of both bags. RS bags seems to be made of a lighter material and several people have reported it had zipper problems. Size and weight are pretty close.

eBags guarantees this product 100%. RS does not.

It has been shipped already, I bought it today and expected UPS arrival is 11/12/09.

I'll let you know how I like it and if there are any issues. I can always return the bag. I have plenty of time. My trip is not for several more months. I could not find anything I likes locally.

HTH
Old Nov 10, 09, 8:21 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Thanks for your thoughts. I keep looking at the eBags as the better deal, I'm just waiting for someoen to confirm it.
Old Nov 10, 09, 8:52 pm

I'll post as soon as the bag arrives, probably on 11/12. I am hoping the waistband fits me, I know I have a few more pounds to go.

I also need comfort as well, I'm not 20 anymore....

I have a duffel bag on wheels and it is a real pain to schlep, and won't count as a carry-on.
Old Nov 10, 09, 9:19 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I have an RS bag, I am a shorter woman as well. It is this one: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=346 It worked for me (no zipper problems) until I got hooked on the idea of using more expensive carry on gear. I had a deal of pressure from my bosses about carrying a cheap bag.

All of my RS bags are still in very good condition after years of use and abuse by me and by family members who feel that any bag I am not currently using is fair game for them.

Good luck in your search. Check out their WEB site for complete info and for possible sales.

I've bought plenty of stuff from EBags with no problems at all and really prefer their packing cubes over the Eagle Creek ones. While we are on that subject, I don't care for the RS packing cubes as they only come in black and I color organize my packing.
Old Nov 10, 09, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold
Just got the RS convertible carry-on bag and am pretty happy with it. I've used it for lighter duty only so far and haven't filled it to the brim. That's coming up soon though on my trip to Asia. I would say the on thing that bugs me is how it doesn't really hold much of a shape when lightly loaded. What I do like is that I can stow my laptop and quickly access it. This became a concern as it sounded like some airports in Asia only let my laptop but not an entire laptop bag count as a personal item.

In terms of cost, I actually bought mine through Kohl's. Every month they offer a coupon for Kohl's card holders. Last month it was 30% off bringing the cost down to $62 + tax. Free shipping over $75 so I bought some cheap blue jeans that I had been meaning to buy anyways.
Old Nov 11, 09, 9:14 am
Fly book Evangelist

The dumpiness of an underpacked soft bag is a problem. I switched to the stronger RedOxx bags with this in mind and have not had the problem with RedOxx.
Old Nov 11, 09, 2:03 pm

I know this isn't one of the two choices, but I, too, got the Red Oxx convertible. It just arrived and appears very durable.
Old Nov 11, 09, 2:34 pm
Fly book Evangelist

congratulations!

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
I know this isn't one of the two choices, but I, too, got the Red Oxx convertible. It just arrived and appears very durable.
What color? I'll watch for you in airports.
Old Nov 11, 09, 2:54 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
I'd love a Red Oxx (or a Tom Bihn), but I'm not willing to part with the dough.
Old Nov 11, 09, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
What color? I'll watch for you in airports.
Midnight.

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy View Post
I'd love a Red Oxx (or a Tom Bihn), but I'm not willing to part with the dough.
hehe... yeah. It was hard for me, too. I guess I just rationalized that it's a one-time purchase and I'm allowed to indulge myself every once in a while. The difference is probably around $150, and when you think about it, I can blow that away if I eat out 10 times for lunch, so I'm going to cook at home for a bit
Old Nov 11, 09, 4:14 pm
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Well I'm trying to replace two bags at the same time, too.

I look at that $300+ and think (that's a couple of hotel nights on our upcoming trip).

I'm just a cheapskate about some things.
Old Nov 11, 09, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy View Post
Well I'm trying to replace two bags at the same time, too.

I look at that $300+ and think (that's a couple of hotel nights on our upcoming trip).
Stay in hostels then.

ETA: I bought a Rick Steves convertible bag a while ago. Green color. I've never used it. It looks like a huge pillow on my back and, quite frankly, is not very comfortable. It lacks any real useful internal compression straps and the hip-belt is laughably useless (far too short and not very well padded). I much prefer my Eagle Creek convertible backpack (modified with extended bottom straps so as to carry a compressed sleeping bag underneath).

Last edited by uncertaintraveler; Nov 11, 09 at 4:21 pm
Old Nov 11, 09, 7:06 pm

I have owned both bags.

The Weekender is sturdier than than the RS bag and I liked the orange interior--hard to lose anything. The front section is an organizer pocket. If that will come in handy, that's a plus. For me, it was a minus as I didn't use it. And, it is the maximum carry-on size which might cause a problem with some discounted European airlines.

The RS bag is lighter and as previously stated doesn't hold a shape if lightly loaded. It's backpack straps and waist belt are more comfortable than the Weekender. Lots of pockets and expandable. RS is having a 20% off sale through the middle of December.

I sold the Weekender....still have the RS bag but hardly use it.

If you really want to try something that's inexpensive yet is getting great reviews on the internet--the Outdoor Products Essential Carry-on. Campmor sells it for under $35.

You can read recent reviews at 1bag1world and Practical Hacks.
Old Nov 12, 09, 8:19 am
Original Poster
Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler View Post
(The RS bag) looks like a huge pillow on my back and, quite frankly, is not very comfortable.
I don't care about looks at all, but comfort is a big factor. Thanks!

Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
The Weekender is sturdier than than the RS bag and I liked the orange interior--hard to lose anything. The front section is an organizer pocket. If that will come in handy, that's a plus. For me, it was a minus as I didn't use it. And, it is the maximum carry-on size which might cause a problem with some discounted European airlines.

The RS bag is lighter and as previously stated doesn't hold a shape if lightly loaded. It's backpack straps and waist belt are more comfortable than the Weekender. Lots of pockets and expandable. RS is having a 20% off sale through the middle of December.

I sold the Weekender....still have the RS bag but hardly use it.

If you really want to try something that's inexpensive yet is getting great reviews on the internet--the Outdoor Products Essential Carry-on. Campmor sells it for under $35.

You can read recent reviews at 1bag1world and Practical Hacks.
I considered the OPEC bag, but I think I'm looking for something more substantial. Maybe I should have given it a try for $30.

For now I bought 2 Weekenders from ebags. If we don't like them, I can of course send them back.

Search this Thread