Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page > Forgot code on Tumi TSA lock... Best way to break it?

Forgot code on Tumi TSA lock... Best way to break it?

Old Jan 12, 13, 4:26 am

Question Forgot code on Tumi TSA lock... Best way to break it?

Hi all

I stupidly forgot the code to an old Tumi luggage I haven't used in a while. What's the best way to break it off? Any special tools required? Just want to be able to use the luggage again. Thanka
Old Jan 12, 13, 4:35 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G, *S, ANA VIP
take your time

its just 999 number right?
start with 300 and up to 800 than 100 to 200 and 900 to 999

that way you will quickly find the number

dp
Old Jan 12, 13, 10:32 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I would start with 000
Then 999
Then 888
Then 777
Then 666
Then 555
Then 444
Then 333
Then 222
Then 111

A very high percentage of people use triple # combinations.

If you are taking about breaking the lock so that it fails and the bag is open, I would call a luggage shop where they likely have a method or call Tumi.
Old Jan 13, 13, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Any basic bolt cutter will do. If you don't have bolt cutters, any locksmith or store that rents tools will gladly help you with a quick cut for a nominal fee (possibly even gratis, as it will literally take 5 seconds).

Just be careful not to cut your zipper loops. Of course this will render your lock unusable.
Old Jan 13, 13, 2:52 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Just go from 1 to 9999. I've done that before. It'll take less than an hour. Keep in mind some people spend more than 1 hour on FT a day.
Old Jan 13, 13, 3:00 am
Fly book Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Many of these are quite simple. If you have a very thin piece of metal, with a flat tip, you can fit it down between the wheel, and there will be a flat spot. Line them all up so the flat spot is up. If this doesn't open, then rotate all dials around one position, until it opens. Sometimes the first of last number doesn't have this flat spot.

For many cheap padlocks like this, I can pull out on the shackle a bit, which turning the wheels, and feel when it has some resistance. The few times I've done it, I've opened up a lock in a minute or two.
Old Jan 13, 13, 10:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's not the tumi tsa lock is it? Because if it is, there's a video for that

How to open / reset a TUMI TSA Lock when you lost the number

If it's the regular bag lock, I would just start at one end or the other, put on the TV, and one by one give it a try.

There's a lock picking instruction for Samsonite here (which I seriously doubt was sent from Samsonite) which may also apply if they use the same type of lock

http://fixya.com/support/t140437...i_luggage_lock
Old Jan 13, 13, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Air Canada

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I had a similar problem where my TSA lock was dying and it would "unilaterally" change my lock combo.

I had to do the 000-999 mambo but took around 15-20 min.
Old Jun 7, 13, 5:58 am

There are some lock picking instruments that you can use to easily open the lock, there is lock pic set in which there are different instruments that you can use to pick the lock of your old Tumi luggage.
Old Jun 8, 13, 1:00 am

Programs: All Around Nobody
Does your case have a zipper? It should be able to be bypassed quite easily with a pen

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI
Old Jun 8, 13, 10:19 am
Fly book Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by sid8 View Post
There are some lock picking instruments that you can use to easily open the lock, there is lock pic set in which there are different instruments that you can use to pick the lock of your old Tumi luggage.
This is a combination lock, not a keyed lock. And lock picks are considered burglary tools by many jurisdictions, just having them can lead to some fun questions.