Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page > Luggage that are sold at TJMaxx/Marshals/Ross

Luggage that are sold at TJMaxx/Marshals/Ross

Old Apr 22, 16, 1:21 am

Luggage that are sold at TJMaxx/Marshals/Ross

Hi,

I was wondering about luggage that are sold at discount stores, like Ross, TJmaxx, etc - I know that there are some cheaper lines that are being manufactured only for these stores.
But if I find a real line (e.g., Samsonite Sphere Lite that is still being sold at Macy's for over 400$) - why would they also sell it at TJMaxx? Does it mean it is defected? Or just that they have too many in stock and are distributing it there as well?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Apr 22, 16, 9:15 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Usually it's an overstock or from last season, or last year. Having worked for a large upscale retail company in the past that dealt with off-price stores like Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshall's, that was their core business.
Old Apr 22, 16, 11:08 am

Good to know

I've seen a couple of these in TJMaxx: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/s...tchColor=Berry

The weird thing is that I went to Macy's and they still sell them for 480$. The ones at TJMaxx cost 90$. I didn't see any defects or issues with it.

Might be overstock, or will soon be replaced by a new line (e.g., Sphere lite 2).

I bought 2. I think it was a bargain - relatively high quality luggage for a good price.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 16, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
I'd also be extremely suspicious as well due to the fact that 95% of the product isn't overstock but manufactured at a subpar quality and people think they are getting a deal when they are really getting .....
Old May 13, 16, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy View Post
I'd also be extremely suspicious as well due to the fact that 95% of the product isn't overstock but manufactured at a subpar quality and people think they are getting a deal when they are really getting .....
In the situation mentioned I beg to differ. There is a huge markup on this stuff. Ross/Marshalls etc buy all legit stuff and pay immediately. If the OP saw a branded bag per a specific line that is 100% authentic and should be the same quality of that item sold elsewhere. You are confusing merchandise manufactured for outlet stores by certain brand names. I have some knowledge about retail and know how these companies work. They buy name brand bathing suits or winter coats when all the manufacturers want out at the end of the year. That sort of thing.

I prefer to buy at Costco. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. My bag broke this week due to aggressive bag handlers and Costco gave me full store credit.

Rob
Old May 13, 16, 8:44 pm
Fly book Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've always advocated buying luggage at these stores, based on math alone... if it breaks, just buy a new one. $79 vs. $399, it's a no brainer.

That said, I've had Samsonite bags from those stores (Ross seems to be the cheapest, followed by Burlington Coat Factory) last me years, only replacing them for pure vanity reasons (too stained and scuffed up).

I love Costco too, but I usually don't need the package deal they usually sell (at least for Samsonites... I don't like the Ricardo bags they usually have, and the Kirkland brand weighs too much).
Old May 19, 16, 3:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Kimpton IC, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The key with going to the discount stores is patience and persistence. Most times, you'll find junk, but patience and going back repeatedly can lead you to find some really good stuff that is either overrun or a very minor second (a tiny scratch on the inside or something).
Old May 20, 16, 8:44 pm

Totally agree

From my experience, I've visited TJMaxx a few times in the past few weeks. Most of the luggage items were "junk" quality and models that no one heard of. BUT, during these visits I found a few legit models like Samsonite Sphere Lite (sold at Macy's), Samsonite Launch II and Traveller DLX (Sold at Sears), Travelpro Marquis, Mosaic Quad. All these models cost way more online and in stores than what I've found there (90$ for the 25" size).

But indeed I had to go to different stores multiple times.
Old May 24, 16, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by MtlTourist View Post
Usually it's an overstock or from last season, or last year. Having worked for a large upscale retail company in the past that dealt with off-price stores like Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshall's, that was their core business.
I never got the concept of luggage being "last season" though if it leads to bargains, that works for me

To add another data point, I picked up a discounted Samsonite (don't recall the model) for my folks in the UK version of TJMaxx (TKMaxx). It seems to be holding up well after a couple of years; no obvious difference in quality from those sold at full price elsewhere.
Old May 24, 16, 5:16 am
Fly book Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
The key with going to the discount stores is patience and persistence. Most times, you'll find junk, but patience and going back repeatedly can lead you to find some really good stuff that is either overrun or a very minor second (a tiny scratch on the inside or something).
Talk to the store or department manager - they are usually willing to tell you what day of the week new luggage and other merchandise comes in.
Old May 24, 16, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
As others have mentioned, I've seen a mix of previous models from recognized lines, fashion brands I'd never buy luggage from in the first place, and "mystery" models from brands I recognize but not models I've ever seen or have even been able to track down. Heck, I saw a LV Pegase at Burlington Coat Factory (the one across from Union Square Park in NYC), though I don't remember the price being all that much better.

About 8 years ago I bought a Travelpro 2-piece set that included a 22" roll-aboard and a laptop brief. I hunted quite a bit but could never track down the model, line, sku, etc. The quality turned out to be a step down from other known Travelpro lines, probably more along the lines of their Atlantic brand, but for $65 for the set it's held up and is still in use when I need the largest bag I'm willing to risk boarding with as carry-on.

Search this Thread