Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page > Where can I buy a seat belt extender in a hurry? :)

Where can I buy a seat belt extender in a hurry? :)

Old Jan 10, 09, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Where can I buy a seat belt extender in a hurry? :)

I forgot to buy one after my last flight. I would've preferred to purchase one online, but I have a flight next weekend now so I'll probably have to grab one locally.

Anyone have any good suggestions for chain stores that carry these?

Or anyone in the Bellevue/Seattle area know of a good store to try?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 09, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, spg100
Can't really answer your question, but don't forget that there are at least 3-4 different types of seat belts out there. Make sure you know what type of aircraft you'll be flying.
Old Jan 10, 09, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
Can't really answer your question, but don't forget that there are at least 3-4 different types of seat belts out there. Make sure you know what type of aircraft you'll be flying.
Thank you very much for posting that!

Yes, I did notice that. Here's a great link that explains the differences:

http://extend-its.com/extenders.htm
Old Jan 10, 09, 7:12 am

Please check with your airline to make sure you can use your extender; it may not be allowed.
Old Jan 10, 09, 12:44 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Owning your own is just a convenience. For the short term, just ask the FA for an extender as you board. The airlines all carry them. For longer term, Extend-it, which you referenced, offers a very good product.
Old Jan 10, 09, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
Please check with your airline to make sure you can use your extender; it may not be allowed.
http://alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...extensions.asp

Doesn't say that you can't bring your own (which I will interpret as "it's ok to bring your own" ), just that you can't use it in an exit row.
Old Jan 10, 09, 4:43 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Anybody selling them should be able to get it to you by next weekend, if they ship it two day on Monday you will have it Wednesday.

Unless you fly only one type of plane, I don't really see the value in owning one (I understand why people would want to own one), as many times you may be carrying something you can't use and will have to ask for one anyways.
Old Jan 10, 09, 8:43 pm

As I said, please check with your airline, instead of relying on your own interpretation of the rules and risking possible embarrassment to yourself.
Old Jan 10, 09, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
Anybody selling them should be able to get it to you by next weekend, if they ship it two day on Monday you will have it Wednesday.
The order wouldn't ship until Tuesday. $15 for 2 day air. I get it Thursday...but then I'm at the mercy of fedex/ups. If they screw up delivery more than once (has happened to me many times before), it misses my deadline.

Another reason I asked for a B&M place to pick it up so I could try to avoid the big shipping charge if possible.

I didn't want to post all of the reasons behind why I was looking for it locally, because I didn't think anyone would give a darn!
Old Jan 10, 09, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold, spg100
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch View Post
I didn't want to post all of the reasons behind why I was looking for it locally, because I didn't think anyone would give a darn!
This is FT. We care about, and tear apart, even the most mundane details!!!
Old Jan 11, 09, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
This is FT. We care about, and tear apart, even the most mundane details!!!
Guess all of the frequent flyers here are used to the cavity search
Old Mar 8, 09, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Avios
As a once, very frequent traveler, I do not understand why you would consider buying a seat belt extender.

I am a large man who has had, from time to time, the need to request a seat belt extender and have NEVER had difficulty with the flight personnel providing me one.

As mentioned in one of the posts, seat belts do vary in terms of their length and sometimes they are large enough and sometimes not!

Also, people DO like to have the extra room that an extender offers so that you don't feel quite as constricted...regardless, to your point, you should just ask the flight attendant as you board for an extender and I feel very safe in saying that one will be provided you!

Safe travels.
Old Mar 20, 09, 9:16 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by FoPAA View Post
I have an FAA-approved extender that I bought several years ago and have used on literally hundreds of flights since, all on AA. Last week, on an AE flight from LAW to DFW, I was told by a FA that privately owned seat belt extenders were not allowed on American Airlines flights. When I explained that I had been using it for years with no complaints from other FAs, she said I must have been hiding it well!!
Old Feb 28, 10, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobd46 View Post
I have an FAA-approved extender that I bought several years ago and have used on literally hundreds of flights since, all on AA. Last week, on an AE flight from LAW to DFW, I was told by a FA that privately owned seat belt extenders were not allowed on American Airlines flights. When I explained that I had been using it for years with no complaints from other FAs, she said I must have been hiding it well!!
Most likely just another example of an employee-on-the-spot invented "rule."
Old Mar 2, 10, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Most likely just another example of an employee-on-the-spot invented "rule."
More like one employee with the guts to bring up the subject and to enforce the rules.

FoPAA is correct.

Search this Thread