Go Back Fly book Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page > Warranty repair: Does anyone really do it? Briggs & Riley

Warranty repair: Does anyone really do it? Briggs & Riley

Old Jun 4, 09, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Warranty repair: Does anyone really do it? Briggs & Riley

I have a 2 year old 24" B&R basic upright roller, maybe 100,000 miles on it (mainly international, not a lot of cycles, leisure traveler), cost $310, and hoped it would last a long time. In my hotel in Singapore I noticed a washer on the floor, and a bolt/screw missing at the bottom of the bag. When I got home I noticed that it had gotten even worse, that two bolts were missing now and the bottom by the wheels was opening up due to bolts/fasteners falling out and the whole bag seemed on the verge of callapse.

Lifetime warranty, I called B&R, who were very cordial, gave me a repair number, and address to ship the bag for free repair. Shipping is my dime and not sure it is worth it. How much will it cost me to send my bag to them? (I'm guessing $30-40), and I will still have an old beat up bag in the end. Is this dumpster time or should I get it fixed? Anybody really ever do these warranty repairs?

Maybe I'm back to going for cheap disposable luggage. I've been through the whole range. It all seems about the same to me, no matter the price.
Old Jun 5, 09, 12:06 am

I'd get it repaired. One of the reasons you paid $310 is the warranty. Use it. The bolts seem like a minor thing. If you are a bit handy you might be able to fix it yourself with screw bolts, no?

I hear their repair service is very good and they will usually give your bag a general overhaul. If it is beyond repair it should be replaced.

I am surprised however that a bag with perhaps 20 cycles over two years doesn't hold up. There are frequent flyers here that do three cycles a week with their BR and swear by it.

Till
Old Jun 6, 09, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy View Post
I have a 2 year old 24" B&R basic upright roller, maybe 100,000 miles on it (mainly international, not a lot of cycles, leisure traveler), cost $310, and hoped it would last a long time. In my hotel in Singapore I noticed a washer on the floor, and a bolt/screw missing at the bottom of the bag. When I got home I noticed that it had gotten even worse, that two bolts were missing now and the bottom by the wheels was opening up due to bolts/fasteners falling out and the whole bag seemed on the verge of callapse.

Lifetime warranty, I called B&R, who were very cordial, gave me a repair number, and address to ship the bag for free repair. Shipping is my dime and not sure it is worth it. How much will it cost me to send my bag to them? (I'm guessing $30-40), and I will still have an old beat up bag in the end. Is this dumpster time or should I get it fixed? Anybody really ever do these warranty repairs?

Maybe I'm back to going for cheap disposable luggage. I've been through the whole range. It all seems about the same to me, no matter the price.
Send it in. You will get it back in a week to ten days, refinished and good as new. This is a no brainer. I sent mine back a month ago and it did not cost that much. They will be shipped back to you via UPS. B&R warranty is well worth it. If you go to page two here, you can see my experience with the Warranty service.
Old Jun 10, 09, 8:58 pm

Programs: United GS 1K, MM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold
Last time I bought luggage I decided to go cheap, for the reasons you mentioned above. Now, I toss out the luggage as it gets old and don't feel like I need to send it out for repair and arrange to use other luggage while it is gone. This method is working for me.
Old Jun 11, 09, 10:54 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
I'd get it repaired. One of the reasons you paid $310 is the warranty.
I thought you spent $310 on a single bag so that it would NOT NEED to be repaired!

For $310, he should be pissed to high heaven! Nothing short of a brand new bag from B&R should be expected. I thought the whole point of spending that much money was to receive a much higher level of "build quality."

Originally Posted by tfar View Post
I am surprised however that a bag with perhaps 20 cycles over two years doesn't hold up. There are frequent flyers here that do three cycles a week with their BR and swear by it.
It's a "cult of personality" issue. People spend that much on a bag, they convince themselves that it MUST be better than the others. The reality is that the B&R may very well be a "better" bag, but that does not necessarily translate into "it's never going to break."

Even Mercedes-Benz's and Bentley's require maintenance and repair.

I bought a Delsey from TJ Maxx for $35. It has survived many more cycles than the OPs $310 B&R. But I also know that I can't really draw any conclusions from my single experience, other than I am glad I didn't need to spend $310 to get a decent bag - I define "decent" as "no broken parts in several years of travel."
Old Jun 11, 09, 10:57 am
Fly book Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
For less than half the cost, you might consider going with a Costco bag in the future. You can read on that thread about all the people who have had them for years without problems, and the ease of return. No need to ship it!

I would think it would only cost $15-$25 to ship via UPS. Just make sure you take it to a UPS depot, and not some of the places that double the shipping cost to you.
Old Jun 14, 09, 11:55 am

Programs: United GS 1K, MM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Plat; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
For less than half the cost, you might consider going with a Costco bag in the future. You can read on that thread about all the people who have had them for years without problems, and the ease of return. No need to ship it!

I would think it would only cost $15-$25 to ship via UPS. Just make sure you take it to a UPS depot, and not some of the places that double the shipping cost to you.
The shipping is only part of the inconvenience. You also need a backup bag to use while the original bag is being repaired. For those two reasons I've never sent a bag in for work.

IMO, price doesn't always equate with quality. I look for good quality at a discounted price. Or, as mentioned above, many people have good luck with the Kirkland bags.
Old Jun 14, 09, 9:09 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
Perhaps you have a luggage repair shop nearby. If so, they probably have a contract with the manufacturer. I've done that a few times and it works well. They may also have loaners or other cheap luggage you could purchase.
Old Jun 16, 09, 12:50 pm
Fly book Evangelist

after losing wheel and pocket on first trip with samsonite spinner, im sticking with warranty in future >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
3 luggage companies with best warranties
http://flybook.biz/forum/showpost....2&postcount=85
i did not include companies whose warranties are IMHO unspecific, unclear, ambiguous.
Old Jun 19, 09, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Just yesterday got back from B&R my 8-year-old cabin duffel which had been used and abused. In addition to fixing the issues I requested (zipper pulls, other minor things), they pretty much replaced the entire bottom leather, the seam bindings, the handle wrap, and gave me back a bag which, though it shows its age in color fading, will give me many, many more years of use. I think my FedEx charge was about $9 to send it in, and it was back in just over 2 weeks. WELL worth it to take the time/effort.
Old Jun 19, 09, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Fixed it myself

As the OP of this thread, thought it appropriate to report how this ended up. Upon further inspection of my bag, I found I had lost about half the fasteners at the bottom (a strong hand/arm could have pulled my bag apart) as well as one from both wheel assemblies. Before sending the bag in for repair I decided to see if I could repair it myself (saving shipping costs) and ended up going to my local hardware store and for $3 bought all the necessary bolts, washers, nuts, etc. An hour of my time and it was all tightend up and fixed.

In the process, however, I was stunned with how utterly simple and sparse this bag is constucted. A plastic shell, a layer of insulation, a thin nylon liner, all hooked together with simple parts that I bought at a TrueValue hardware for $3. And I paid $310 for this bag. It is light when empty (why I chose this one). Less is more I guess in luggage. I wanted less (weight) but wanted quality. No big deal, I fixed it, but expected better.

I was at my local TJMaxx the other day, and checked out all the luggage, most of it cheap loaned brands, but some Samsonite, SwissArmy, etc. It all seemed constructed about the same as my $310 Briggs & Riley. I'm really not sure all this doesn't come from some giant factory somewhere in Asia and they just slap different brand names on it or change something minor. I don't think I'll ever buy brand name, pricey luggage again. Agree that Costco has good stuff. I have their carryon and love it.
Old Jun 20, 09, 12:33 pm

Sunk Cost...

Before sending the bag in for repair I decided to see if I could repair it myself (saving shipping costs) and ended up going to my local hardware store and for $3 bought all the necessary bolts, washers, nuts, etc. An hour of my time and it was all tightened up and fixed.
After paying $310, I would have sent it in to B&R anyway, along with a letter giving them a piece of my mind. Part of your $310 was for the lifetime warranty - you paid for it, so use it. On the B&R website they say their warranty covers "normal wear and tear," so I would expect them to return your bag in significantly better shape than what you send in.

In the process, however, I was stunned with how utterly simple and sparse this bag is constructed. A plastic shell, a layer of insulation, a thin nylon liner, all hooked together with simple parts that I bought at a TrueValue hardware for $3. And I paid $310 for this bag.
For $310, I would have expected the bag to be mainly handmade. Are you saying it's a plain old machine-manufactured bag like any other? I'm beginning to think maybe you bought a counterfeit B&R bag...

I'm really not sure all this doesn't come from some giant factory somewhere in Asia and they just slap different brand names on it or change something minor.
Quite possible. I couldn't find a "made in America" statement on their website, but I may have missed it.

I don't think I'll ever buy brand name, pricey luggage again.
I am no B&R shill, but what were you expecting for your $310? A bag that was impervious to damage? In-home repair, so you wouldn't have to ship it out for repair? It seems like you feel ripped off. Why? You got what you paid for. An expensive bag, with a big name so you can impress other travelers, and a lifetime warranty. What else did you expect?
Old Jun 23, 09, 10:09 pm
Fly book Evangelist

Originally Posted by pittpanther View Post
For $310, I would have expected the bag to be mainly handmade.
sorry, but $310 is cheap. completely handmade, or bespoke, is extremely expensive. "mainly" handmade would only be "very" expensive.
Old Jun 24, 09, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
sorry, but $310 is cheap. completely handmade, or bespoke, is extremely expensive. "mainly" handmade would only be "very" expensive.
Yeah, you're probably correct. a handmade bag would be in the four-figure range, I guess.
Old May 29, 16, 12:30 pm

B&R's 'Simple as That' warranty is excellent!

I reside central NJ, not far from NYC. I have a 24" upright that had a broken handle, separated from the body of the bag. I took it to NY after checking for repair locations. LSS, my bag was repaired, no questions asked, while I waited, at no cost to me. I purchased the bag used... on eBay.
So, yes, their 'Simple as That' warranty IS spot on!

Search this Thread